Fly Or Drive?

westiemum

I'd drive .....go one day - meet & greet ..stay overnight (ballaarat is lovely) ..set off home next day ... pup in crate ...

pup would have to be driven to Tullamarine airport around an hour from Ballaarat..wait around ..be loaded..fly for an hour or so ..wait around, be unloaded amongst all the bustle ...wait around, be collected ..and driven home ...

Edited by persephone

I've not had to transport a puppy before but to me driving seems to be the safer bet. There are a lot of unknowns with flying and you have to trust that the airport employees will do the right thing.

The travel time doesn't seem to be overly different with flying and driving when you factor in all the waiting around before and after the flight.

If driving was an option for me I'd probably take it but then I also enjoy a good road trip. Plus extra bonding time with the puppy

Fly the pup, it is a safer option. 8 week old puppy not lead trained how are you going to give comfort stops for 8 week old ? and if its hot its going to be worse. A quick trip from their to Tull is nothing and bit of waiting time and hey presto the pup is in Adelaide. You all forget it may be a one way trip for the pup but its a two way trip for the owner. :)

Maybe look at flights arriving later in evening or departing early morning. That is if breeder is open or able to do that. It is cooler and have found night flights seem to be better than day ones.

When I have flown pups from bris to Perth - it is a 5 hr flight, plus 90 mins pre booking plus up to 40 mins from plane to freight. They have not had issue.

A long hr road trip with strangers can be just as stressful than a 5 hr flight.

As for diet, I would be getting this from breeder and seeking their advice on what they are feeding and change from their diet to yours. With any diet change, it should be gradual.