Cow Milk

PepitoVFR

I occasionally I hear concern from people when I tell them my little Maltese drinks regular cow milk. That something in cow milk isn't good for them etc.

The thing is she's always had it since a pup & 14 years later she still comes to her bowl nightly just before bedtime expecting it :)

zyna3u8e.jpg

Every vet I've asked has told me it is a little uncommon for dogs to handle regular milk but if she's been fine with it all these then don't stop.

sajepyga.jpg

She loves the stuff :)

Anybody else's dog here ok with regular cow milk?

Cheers,

When mammals are born they produce an enzyme lactase in order to assimilate lactose which is in milk . When they are weaned many go for a long period without milk so their bodies stop being capable of producing the enzyme - so if they have milk regularly the body automatically continues to make the enzyme and there isnt a problem.If they dont have it regularly they are lactose intolerant and you see varying side effects.

All baby mammals produce lactase, as Steve has said. It's the enzyme necessary to process the milk sugar (lactose).

Many mammals, around weaning time, will stop producing lactase. This halt in production doesnt have anything to do with how long they go without milk, it's simply a genetic thing. Some mammals are genetically programmed to stop producing lactase after a certain age.

In the wild situation it has no evolutionary benefit or detriment because most mammals dont have access to milk after they have been weaned and so the gene has persisted in the populations of most mammals, including humans.

The human species is the only one that deliberately steals milk from another species to consume and to give to their companion animals eg dogs and cats.

If those animals are among the population that has stopped producing lactase then they will not be able to process the sugars in milk and so the resultant problems will be seen, the most common of which are gastrointestinal, but there can be others such as skin problems and a susceptibility to yeast infections.

If your dog is not one that has the gene which prevents the production of lactase then it will be fine to eat milk products.

Thanks for that explanation Wundahoo, much appreciated.

Interested in your comment about skin issues. Although Katie never gets upset stomachs after milk she does suffer from skin yeast infection. She licks herself quite a bit which causes her hair to turn brown ( you can see around mouth in pic).

Would anybody say its possible the milk could be a cause even though her stomach tolerates it? And if so, how long should I stop the milk as a test?

I'd rather not stop the milk if it's unlikely to be a cause of her skin issues because she really enjoys her nightly drink.

Edited by Morita

Thanks for that explanation Wundahoo, much appreciated.

Interested in your comment about skin problems & yeast infection. Although Katie never gets upset stomachs after milk she has suffered from these two afflictions much of her life. She licks herself quite a bit which causes her hair to turn brown ( you can see around mouth in pic).

Would anybody say its possible the milk could be a cause even though her stomach tolerates it? And if so, how long should I stop the milk as a test?

I'd rather not stop the milk if it's unlikely to be a cause of her skin issues because she really enjoys her nightly drink.

at 14 years of age I wouldn't be denying her any pleasures.

Often the discolouraton is caused by the milk on the fur and skin which creates a nice micro environment for yeast etc - rather than it coming from what is actually being ingested. men with moustaches get this too - You can wipe this over with Calendula tea or apple cidar vinegar - poor things dont have hands to wipe their faces.