Pitbull Terrier Attack At Ruffey Lake, Doncaster, Vic

toy_poodle_crazy

I'm sorry for your dog but take heart my little pekin chicken was attacked 2 years ago and had four tubes like that sticking out of her. She successfully overcame gangrene and regrew most if her feathers. Modern medicine can work miracles. The skin on top if where that drain is might die off and form a sort of scabby shell, if it's bothering her you might need to have a kong cloud or the old cone of shame ready to pop on her.

I own a bull breed who is dog aggressive and I am on the other side of the same fence I guess, I hate off leash dogs because of the danger they pose if they run up and get attacked and then I will be to blame. The truth is their are a lot of bull breed dogs out there and there are many careless owners who don't leash or train their dogs. When one of these owners chooses a bull breed looking dog the consequences are going to be worse than if they chose a poodle. It would be great if instead of a breed restriction we could have a "too stupid to manage a dog" restriction slapped on the owners but that's not going to happen.

Whilst I loved dog parks when I had a calm dog I now wish that there were no leash free areas because I think they might encourage people to just think dogs gambolling free is the norm and their right rather than a special privilege accorded only to bomb proof dogs in certain areas.

So yes as a bull breed owner I flinch when I see pit bulls again blamed for attacking but statistically it is likely.

A considered and reasoned approach, Hankdog - well done.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry for your dog but take heart my little pekin chicken was attacked 2 years ago and had four tubes like that sticking out of her. She successfully overcame gangrene and regrew most if her feathers. Modern medicine can work miracles. The skin on top if where that drain is might die off and form a sort of scabby shell, if it's bothering her you might need to have a kong cloud or the old cone of shame ready to pop on her.

I own a bull breed who is dog aggressive and I am on the other side of the same fence I guess, I hate off leash dogs because of the danger they pose if they run up and get attacked and then I will be to blame. The truth is their are a lot of bull breed dogs out there and there are many careless owners who don't leash or train their dogs. When one of these owners chooses a bull breed looking dog the consequences are going to be worse than if they chose a poodle. It would be great if instead of a breed restriction we could have a "too stupid to manage a dog" restriction slapped on the owners but that's not going to happen.

Whilst I loved dog parks when I had a calm dog I now wish that there were no leash free areas because I think they might encourage people to just think dogs gambolling free is the norm and their right rather than a special privilege accorded only to bomb proof dogs in certain areas.

So yes as a bull breed owner I flinch when I see pit bulls again blamed for attacking but statistically it is likely.

You've raised my personal pet peeve in your post Hankdog -- dogs that rush towards others. I don't care if it's an off leash area and all dogs are off lead, to have a dog hurtling towards one of mine, regardless of size, is not something I want to happen. I understand that some dogs are just so friendly that they can't help rushing forward, but I shudder to think of what will happen to these dogs when the perceived "ooh boy friend!!!" turns out to not be friendly. :(

I witnessed some awesome behaviour from a large mastiff x the other day at the park. A man had his youngish CKCS on leash at the off leash park and was walking towards myself and the mastiff x, who's owners I was speaking to. He's a lovely gentle bear and a real cutie, and as the other man was approaching, the mastiff x lay down on the ground and started slowly crawling towards the CKCS dragging his back legs on the ground. Once he reached the man and Cavvy, he stayed lying down for the other dog to sniff him and to get pats off the man -- he eventually stood up for a sniff of the Cavvy but it was just so amazing to see such a large dog being so gentle.

It was also nice because the Cavvy's owner was so appreciative that this large dog didn't rush or try and over-power his dog and just did the typically polite meet and greet then went about his own business. :thumbsup: to both owners here!!

I had Zeus onleash and just kept Kirah away because I was starting to head home and was about to put her leash on.

Yes I think common sense and courtesy need a come back. It shouldnt matter where you are. Dont let your dog be a PITA. I have a large breed and even they dont like being rushed. My current GSD boy is still a pup but looks like an adult to some. When dogs rush him it gives him a fright. Which is not something I want. It could push him towards acting aggressively towards other dogs. Ruins it for everyone. IMO if its offlead you need to have effective control regardless of where you are.

Thanks again for everyone's concern. She is recovering well and will need secondary surgery to remove the dead skin according to the vet.

Yes I agree with Leah, everyone gotta make sure in these situations to always remember to get the owners details or take a photo of the dog and the owner.

Same.. Prolly won't go Ruffey Lake ever again with my dogs..

Hankdog, that's great to hear about your chicken. Yes I agree no doubt modern medicine is a miracle these days.

I can totally understand where you are coming from. It's frustrating to hear another story about a stereotype to a specific breed type. But again statistically based on what we hear in the media doesn't help with our stereotype.

River star aura, that's such a beautiful story what you experienced.

And yes to everyone there are some very irresponsible owners out there it's shocking.

Unfortunately even sometimes as much precautions you take at a leash free park (which in this case I had them on a leash), its pointless when there are other irresponsible owners out there with their dog leash free still putting us responsible owners at risk. From the way he reacted to the bite, he didn't even seem to care or didn't even react in shock. Thinking back, it just seems like he might have experienced this before where his dog might have attacked before. Otherwise he would've been in shock or compassionate when he wasn't at all.

I will be going back next week to take some photos and also want to try my luck with finding the owner with the 2 dogs n try and snap a photo or confront him. I just don't want to put another dog at risk of this again.

While I hope this guy is found I'm not confident of your chances

Once they walk away after this type of incident, it's extremely difficult to get a conviction as all they have to do if they are interviewed as a suspect is say they know nothing of the incident and at the time have an alibi they were somewhere else. Once a report of this nature is filed, the filing of it is about as far as it goes.

I own a bull breed who is dog aggressive and I am on the other side of the same fence I guess, I hate off leash dogs because of the danger they pose if they run up and get attacked and then I will be to blame.

In have had several dog aggressive dogs and it's a real problem when exercising DA dogs on leash in on leash areas for other dogs to be off leash illegally and approach/rush at your DA dog, the worse scenario to light up a DA dog is getting rushed at regardless if the dog is friendly or not. DA dogs are easily managed providing others abide by the relevant laws and don't exercise them off leash unless they are confined to a designated off leash area. I can't believe how people for their own dog's safety allow them to be exercised off leash in area's where they should be on leash and approach other leashed dogs. :mad

Although your DA dog is leashed, if the other dog doesn't heed the warning and back off or it wants to fight too, it results in a horrifying situation for the handler of the leashed dog to resolve the conflict. I disagree that a DA dog should be muzzled to protect the dogs of owners who exercise them illegally without effective control.

Edited by Amax-1

I have this problem and it's so frustrating . They yell it's ok he is a baby .. Yeah ok but mine is not ok with yours off leash running upto her :-(

OP I'm so sorry this happend to you , very scary and sad ...

While I hope this guy is found I'm not confident of your chances

Once they walk away after this type of incident, it's extremely difficult to get a conviction as all they have to do if they are interviewed as a suspect is say they know nothing of the incident and at the time have an alibi they were somewhere else. Once a report of this nature is filed, the filing of it is about as far as it goes.

I own a bull breed who is dog aggressive and I am on the other side of the same fence I guess, I hate off leash dogs because of the danger they pose if they run up and get attacked and then I will be to blame.

In have had several dog aggressive dogs and it's a real problem when exercising DA dogs on leash in on leash areas for other dogs to be off leash illegally and approach/rush at your DA dog, the worse scenario to light up a DA dog is getting rushed at regardless if the dog is friendly or not. DA dogs are easily managed providing others abide by the relevant laws and don't exercise them off leash unless they are confined to a designated off leash area. I can't believe how people for their own dog's safety allow them to be exercised off leash in area's where they should be on leash and approach other leashed dogs. :mad

Although your DA dog is leashed, if the other dog doesn't heed the warning and back off or it wants to fight too, it results in a horrifying situation for the handler of the leashed dog to resolve the conflict. I disagree that a DA dog should be muzzled to protect the dogs of owners who exercise them illegally without effective control.

Sure they weren't staffies? I asked a friend that goes there a bit and they said there is a guy with 2 staffies that is a bit clueless.

Hi Jules, it looks like the top left brown one http://www.staffy-bull-terrier.com/american_pitbull_terrier_photos

It might be a staffy cross. But definitely bull terrier breed.

Is he often on his headphones? Ones that clip on the ear? He has scruffy hair as well? The 2 dogs 1 is brown another is black or dark brown.

And yes he did seem clueless at the time n very ignorant.

I'm so sorry for what happened to your dog and i hope your makes a full recovery. i can't believe he saw the damage on your dog and walked off.

This is an unfortunate perfect example of what the government and councils should be targeting, irresponsible pet owners not specific breeds. I believe if this jerk had for arguments sake jack russels they would be aggressive also. He would also be the type of person who would walk his dogs off leash on the sreet and is non leash free areas i have seen them so many times. They just don't care. I hope you reported him and they catch him and they take his dogs off him as they are dangerous, and they can hopefully receive training and find a good home to someone who actually cares.