Maltese Pregnancy

I think my Maltese might be having a phantom pregnancy. It is really hard to tell and I need some advice.i am not one to call the vet with every little question.

She was mated on the 23 December with a tie, she may have mated again two days later. I thought she was pregnant as her nipple are larger and her vulva never returned to normal size. She became increasely hungry.

She however did not get real big, she a slight bump in her ribs. She is slightly heavier and sometimes does not really like her tummy being touched. I did feel walnut shapes in her belly at around 30 days. She did have fluid coming from her teats on Sunday.

She was due yesterday, I checked her temp in the am at 8.00 and is was 99.5 then in the PM by 2.00 it was 100.4

She spent a lot more time in her bed and stretched out. I thought today was the day but nothing happened.

Today she is acting normal, eating and sleeping. Her nipple are slightly larger today but not a lot.Her temp today is 101.3

Do you think it is a phantom pregnancy?

I was going to take her for an X ray but when i rang the vet they said wait her out and see how she goes, how long do i wait for?

I know pregnancy can be a dangerous thing if things go wrong, but I have been keeping a very close eye on her.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If she is not showing any signs of distress you can leave her for another couple of days without any worry.

There is nothing dangerous happening so nothing to rush to the vets for.

In my small breed I never see nipples getting bigger until they are full of milk after the birth & cannot squeeze milk out of them either but all is always perfectly normal.

Signs are usually she will start digging her nest either in the birth bed you have hopefully given her or if she doesn't want to have them there on your bed, where you are, lounge or where she feels like.

She will appear restless & start to pant as though she is too warm. If only one puppy in there to go over time is not unusual. Its not always problematic having a single pup either.

If you are still concerned by Friday & nothing occurs maybe pop her in a vets for an ultrasound but she may return to normal if not pregnant when the 9 weeks are up.

She has her bed where she is comfortable...The male is constantly by her side. I will give till Friday and see how she goes, she does not appear to be distressed at all.

She is still rough and tumbling with the father is that normal?

Yes if they are friends & have always done it.

May be time to move the male away into another room though. She will not want him or any other animals around when whelping & may get snappy & protective.

If this was my bitch I would have her at the vets immediately for an ultra sound to prove that she is in whelp and if she is I would them have a progesterone test done to see what is happening and I would remove the male immediately. Best of luck for a litter.

Vet immediately. If you've never done this before and don't have an experienced mentor holding your hand, don't use guesswork via google.

It's easy to lose pups and/or mum when things go even the tiniest bit wrong.

I agree with others. You need to take her to the vet to confirm pregnancy at the very least so that you know if puppies are expected or you are just going to need to deal with a phantom pregnancy.

I would also be concerned that her temperature is rising at this time.

If it is the first litter you have whelped I would like to see you being a little more proactive rather than sitting back and letting things go. Have you been in touch with the breeder of your girl to seek their assistance?

Is the father a Maltese as well?

Edited by Airedaler

Thanks for all the advice...I have had experience with dogs whelping before. However I have never dealt with a phantom pregnancy before which I believe this is. I have gone through the mating and delivery before of my other dogs.

She is showing no signs of labour at all...She is acting very normal like she did before she mated. Her vulva is going down in size. She had stopped going into her whelping area as well.

I own both the father as well who is also a pureabred Maltese.

I am going to still hold off on the vet as she is in no distress at all. She is playing, eating, drinking, sleeping and is her usual self.

She is running around in the afternoons playing tag with her partner as per usual.

If she changes in anyway I will however take her to the vet. I am with her 24 hours a day.

I would be taking her to the vet. Her temp is going up, she may have an infection. You don't sound very experienced so better to safe then sorry and maybe lose your girl.

It may be confusing that the temperature is not posted in centigrade however conversion shows that the dog does not have a high temperature & is within the normal range so there is no reason to be in a panic.

As the dog seems to be acting normal, is not ill, & the owner is not an idiot & was merely asking if others have experienced a phantom I can't see the cause of great concern here.

I would be taking her to the vet. Her temp is going up, she may have an infection. You don't sound very experienced so better to safe then sorry and maybe lose your girl.

It may be confusing that the temperature is not posted in centigrade however conversion shows that the dog does not have a high temperature & is within the normal range so there is no reason to be in a panic.

As the dog seems to be acting normal, is not ill, & the owner is not an idiot & was merely asking if others have experienced a phantom I can't see the cause of great concern here.

it's exactly as I posted last night before the OP said she was not a novice breeder. I was responding to the initial post and I still stick by it, better to be safe then sorry and risk losing your dog just for the sake of a consult fee.

If she is not showing any signs of distress you can leave her for another couple of days without any worry.

There is nothing dangerous happening so nothing to rush to the vets for.

Very dangerous advice. In my breed they never go over their due date without it being due to a major problem. Primary inertia can happen in any breed so if they are not in labour by the due date they should be monitored by a vet and have a caesar at the first sign of puppy distress. It is always safest to ensure that you actually know if they are pregnant or not by ultrasound or x-ray. With modern vet practices, guesswork and risking bitches should be a thing of the past.