Help!

Pjrt

Hello good people of the photo forum.

I am looking at upgrading my little camera that i use in my shop to take pictures of my clients. I currently just have a little point n shoot Olympus SZ-14. Its been doing the job but its getting a bit tired.

I really think I would like a major upgrade. I would like a camera I can have a bit of fun with outside of the salon too, but for the most part it will be taking pictures of dogs, indoors, under fluorescent lights, and quite close up. I can usually only get approx 1 to 1.5 metres away from the dog at best.

Any suggestions? Is there something in the middle between what I have and huge expense of lenses on a camera, or would just the sort of camera I can upgrade with lenses be great. Im a complete novice so be gentle !

. TIA :)

Edited by skyefool

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know your budget, or aptitude .. and have chosen these two because of very little to spend , for adequate shots .........

Panasonic have a leica lens, which means very good quality ...and they do a brilliant job ...for not a lot of money :) friends have them and swear by them!

I notice this one has wi-fi ..so transfer of images straight to your phone can happen easily ! :)

have a look .... compacy cameras do a terrific job these days , without the hassle of worrying about lenses & settings ;)

CLICK

or ....have a look at this one !A Fuji

CLICK

My Dad has this Fuji and loves it. It can be totally automatic or be used all manual and anywhere in between. It can shoot in jpeg or in RAW. Looks like an SLR and has many of the features but in a compact camera without interchangeable lens.

https://www.google.com.au/shopping/product/11379205785851356568?q=fuji+cameras&client=safari&rls=en&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.62578216,d.aGc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.Qb9R7Hul644.O&biw=1280&bih=680&tch=1&ech=1ψ=2wYbU5rvMoquiAe-2ICICg.1394280157189.3&ei=4wYbU-6WNYuErAfS_IH4Aw&ved=0CGEQpiswAA

Skyefool, if you decide you'd like to venture into the DSLR world, I am selling my D300s + 50mm :)

Thank you. I will send you a message about this later once I finish work. :)

After much confusion and deliberation I picked up a Nikon D3200 kit today!

I literally got it out of the box and my neighbour was out the front with her Border Collie, with another dog from up the road....... so with permission here are quite literally the first pics with it in fully auto mode. i look forward to getting to know it..... ps, i do not groom either of these 2 scruff bags!

WooHoo ... looking forward to seeing lots of photos :)

haha be careful what you wish for! I just came home and switched on my lounge room light and saw that my little friend that hangs out on the glass above my front door was out tonight. I usually watch his belly from inside the house but tonight I thought I would go out on the verandah and try to 'capture' the beastie......

and this is where I start all the self doubt and bow out before I bore everyone to sleep.

1395052341[/url]' post='6443145']
1395046585[/url]' post='6443059']

WooHoo ... looking forward to seeing lots of photos :)

haha be careful what you wish for! I just came home and switched on my lounge room light and saw that my little friend that hangs out on the glass above my front door was out tonight. I usually watch his belly from inside the house but tonight I thought I would go out on the verandah and try to 'capture' the beastie......

and this is where I start all the self doubt and bow out before I bore everyone to sleep.

I love Geckos. :love:

You're gonna have loads of fun with your camera, you live in a very photogenic part of SA, lucky you!

I think the river and sunsets/different light conditions will offer up so many different and beautiful scenes to practice on, take hundreds of photos, try different times of day, different positions (get down on the ground and take pics from there too)...it's such fun trying out all these things, then editing the pics is another job to learn and have fun with.

Your little friend is gorgeous- have you given him a name?

Enjoy your camera, it can be very theraputic to pit yourself against all the dials and different conditions and potential subjucts to try to get the picture that is in your mind. Everyone starts photography as a beginner, but practice and knowledge are your friends, so keep practicing, and keep posting anything you can think of, I will look forward to watching your journey through the lens :thumbsup:

Di

Right now I wish I hadn't got the bloody thing. I have spiraled into a depression of being a complete idiot and the fog is taking it's toll. I will try to think clearly and practice on the weekend. It might be FTAGH by next week! I certainly won't be posting any pictures. The ones posted here are soooo bad I'm ashamed. :mad

Skyefool - You have nothing to be ashamed of, perfectly good shots for someone just starting with a DSLR :) Would you pick up a violin for the first time and expect to be able to play like Yehudi Menuhin? Photography takes time to learn, and the beauty of digital is that you can take so many shots and see the result almost instantly.

Have a read through this link - it gives a brief overview of the basics with some good examples.

http://www.mdavid.com.au/photography/photography101.shtml

But basically play and have fun with it - set up a static object and take several photos of it but play with your settings to see how it affects the resulting shot.

Post shots on here and ask for advice if you feel like it - I'm far from being a pro, but there are a few of us on here who enjoy photography and can offer some tips. :)

Oh yes, I well remember the first time the dreaded "I can't even take a photo" thoughts washed over me. I think it happens with everyone, and is a natural progression when you realise how little you know about this "thing" that everyone seems to have mastered quickly. That is simply not true though, and as Perse said, to get that one half decent shot that you are willing to share there are sometimes dozens of attempts noone else will ever see. Even the Pro's only ever share a small fraction of their shots, and most people do some level of adjustments to make them look better, even if it is just a crop and sharpen.

Don't get discouraged, get determined to experiment some more. The hobby is worth the effort, and so far you are doing great. :D

Di