Slippery Elm

In the case of constipation, Slippery elm is used as a source of mucilaginous fibre,same as psyllium - and it attracts water to dry and stubborn fecal matter, thereby bulking it up and softening it so as to make it easy to pass. Part of the process of moving the bowel motions is the churning and squeezing action of the bowel wall muscle,and when stools are stuck for one reason or another, the stimulation of the activity of the bowel wall muscles is not real posh. It's like there's a beached whale lying there just waiting for the tide to come in. So because constipation is either caused by or is exasperated by not enough fluid being ingested or utilised unless fluid is increased radically to enable the Slippery elm or psyllium do what they do it can get worse. Of course it also takes longer to work and may not work at all if there has been a issue for a lengthy period and the slippery elm or psyllium cant get far enough along the line to make it more moist to unblock it.

And where diarrhoea is concerned, the loose and watery consistency of faecal matter is plumped up by the same swelling action of the powder, creating more solid but nicely moist stools.

So for both diarrhoea and constipation its handy to have on hand but its not going to work on every case because not every case is the same and bacteria and all kinds of medical issues may be present and impact on what's going on. Nothing works every time on everyone whether its natural or otherwise - its ridiculous to even expect that but from my position as a mother, grandmother and dog owner I have it here because I've found that most times it works and I prefer something natural to other more invasive chemicals etc if I can avoid them - if it doesn't it's a vet or a doctor.

Edited by Steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like there's a beached whale lying there just waiting for the tide to come in.

:laugh: Love this analogy.

Should you be that human beached whale, it's more like waiting for the tide to go OUT

(Soz, too much info but you get my drift.)

:eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Any suggestions on how to persuade a fussy eater to take slippery elm? I just tried mixing a teaspoon into his dinner and he left half of it. Just realised it was probably because of the slippery elm.

Any suggestions on how to persuade a fussy eater to take slippery elm? I just tried mixing a teaspoon into his dinner and he left half of it. Just realised it was probably because of the slippery elm.

I actually use the tincture - just syringe 0.5 ml down the throat - doesn't interfere with dinner time at all!

I actually use the tincture - just syringe 0.5 ml down the throat - doesn't interfere with dinner time at all!

Depends on what you are using it for.

In my limited experience, I think it is best to make the tea first - 1 rounded teaspoon slippery elm and around 250 ml water, simmer for around 3 minutes and cool. Then add around a teaspoon for every 5kg of dog. I mix in around 1 teaspoon of honey while the tea is still hot.

I give this in his bowl half an hour before feeding and my dog loves as though it is a high value treat.

There should be enough of the tea to last for three days and I believe it is okay in the fridge for this time. I have found that I have never needed to go beyond 1 day (usually one dose) for my Ronin to be pooping perfectly once again.

I make up a cup if I notice he has managed to gobble something down before I can get it off him quick enough and sometimes will give a serve before a meal just-in-case.

A couple of nights ago I noticed Ronin was doing the most awful smelly farts :laugh: and I gave him a couple of spoons of the tea and it seemed to calm his guts and my nostrils :D I also add some probiotics to the cold mixture as a double whammy. The high quality Jarrah honey makes this a triple threat to nasties from the throat to the bum :D

Anyway, it is as cheap as chips so good to keep on hand.

In my limited experience, I think it is best to make the tea first - 1 rounded teaspoon slippery elm and around 250 ml water, simmer for around 3 minutes and cool. Then add around a teaspoon for every 5kg of dog. I mix in around 1 teaspoon of honey while the tea is still hot.

I give this in his bowl half an hour before feeding and my dog loves as though it is a high value treat.

There should be enough of the tea to last for three days and I believe it is okay in the fridge for this time. I have found that I have never needed to go beyond 1 day (usually one dose) for my Ronin to be pooping perfectly once again.

I make up a cup if I notice he has managed to gobble something down before I can get it off him quick enough and sometimes will give a serve before a meal just-in-case.

A couple of nights ago I noticed Ronin was doing the most awful smelly farts :laugh: and I gave him a couple of spoons of the tea and it seemed to calm his guts and my nostrils :D I also add some probiotics to the cold mixture as a double whammy. The high quality Jarrah honey makes this a triple threat to nasties from the throat to the bum :D

Anyway, it is as cheap as chips so good to keep on hand.

Just the sort of info that is wortwhile adding to notes etc. Very helpful.

:thumbsup:

Next question - if slippery elm is going to work for the runs, how quickly will it work? Or, to ask the same question a different way, when do you decide this isn't enough and the dog needs to go to the vet?

For example, if I feed my dog twice a day and give him a tsp of slippery elm at each meal, when should I see an improvement?

In my limited experience, poop is normally firm the next time they go and I would do 2 or 3 more doses . Others will be able to better advise time to see vet if the runs persist. I would guess 24-48 hours depending on the severity and colour of the diarrhoea or other symptoms that may also be present. If you are really worried then a trip to the vet is always best I think.

Well ordinarily if you are treating the runs you don't feed them - you take them off food and feed slippery elm and probiotics - maybe yoghurt mixed with slippery elm - if you have no improvement in 12- 24 hours you need to speak to a vet. Or if the dog is obviously un well and or dehydrated.

Well ordinarily if you are treating the runs you don't feed them - you take them off food and feed slippery elm and probiotics - maybe yoghurt mixed with slippery elm - if you have no improvement in 12- 24 hours you need to speak to a vet. Or if the dog is obviously un well and or dehydrated.

I probably have not done the right thing on the couple of occasions I treated my dog for the runs?? I didn't starve him at all, I just gave the SE + probiotics half an hour before his meal and he was fine next poop. I suppose it is really down to the severity of the runs, I don't believe that in Ronin's instance it was severe.

Aha - I've never been told to starve the dog but to feed a bland food (preferably the one the vet sells!) or chicken and rice.

Ill send you a PM so you can go into more detail for me so I understand better what you are dealing with

Julie

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how much Slippery Elm is recommended for an 18 kilo BC. Stella tummy is alittle upset. Very slight soft stools. A bit gassy. I brought some Slippery Elm caps. But didn't realise they are double strength 800mg & I just hid it in a very small amount of food & she has eaten it. Worried now. Hope I haven't ODed her. Stupid me. Should have doubled checked the mg's. Errrr.

Slippery Elm is very well tolerated, so your dog should be fine. I know it is not recommended in pregnant & breast feeding animals / people. When used topically it can cause hives. Personally I wouldn't have used slippery elm for the symptoms you described, I keep it for more serious complaints.