Raw Feeding - Beef

leec

Hi Everyone,

I have read a few topics where people are experiencing allergies in their dogs to beef.

Could anyone tell me if veal would be better, or the same?

I am a bit unwilling to feed chicken, as my 2 are fat enough as it is.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

I would guess that veal would be the same as it's just a younger milk fed version of beef.

Chicken would be fine - feed raw frames (cut in half if necessary) and cut off the fat. One of mine can only have chicken and no way is he fat!

Cool, I will give it a go, thanks

Have you looked into Kangaroo?

Very lean, and a red meat replacement for beef.

I personally haven't seen any allergy issues and feed a mix of beef/roo as part of every day meals.

Do chicken every second day or so.

Have never really fed beef on its own.

Some people may refer to an intolerance as an allergy. One of my dogs cannot tolerate beef because of the fat, it gives him diarrhoea. He is not allergic to beef per se. I have never fed him veal, I do not buy it, but suspect it might be suitable for him being leaner.

If you are only going on the fact that you have read some dogs have an allergy to beef and yours is not one of them then I would not hesitate to feed beef as well as other options. If your dog is allergic to beef I cannot see that mixing it with something else will prevent the allergy.

do you suspect an allergy to beef?

If your dogs aren't allergic to beef then there's no harm feeding it :)

This. I think dogs benefit from variety. I feed beef, lamb, pork, turkey, chicken and occasionally duck.

Sadly I can't get rabbit anymore and my dogs don't like kangaroo.

What size dog have you got - any reason they can't have chicken wings or larger parts of chicken?

If your dogs are fat, feed less quantity, not less variety!

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Just out of interest, have you (or anyone else reading here) tried goat?

With my boy's intolerances to numerous meat protein sources, goat was something I stumbled across at our local wholesale butcher's so I bought it, hoping that he'd go well on it and be able to accept it for the bone component as well as for the meat source. But he won't have a bar of it.

Anyone else tried it out with their dogs and with what degree of success?

Goat is not a hit with mine, they do OK on it but don't find it platable. They do fine on beef, and also chicken, rabbit, pork, lamb and small amounts of roo.

I feed quite a bit of goat as a friend hunts it and gifts it free to me. I agree it is stinky, but Elsie really likes it. I regularly feed beef, goat, lamb, chicken and hare/rabbit. I feed fish as often as I can find it cheap.

I've fed goat and they loved it. But then we're talking pugs and they'll literally eat anything.

It is very similar it looks, taste and texture to lamb. I'm surprised that so many dogs don't like it.

what else do they get aside from raw muscle meat? ( and a chicken neck)?

What size/age are they...you said they are fat enough ..so do they get enough exercise, or are they equipped with big brown food seeking eyes? :D

They get a little kibble, eggs, sardines, RMB on a regular basis as well. Oh and pigs ears and dehydrated roo tails for time wasting :)

They are both staffies, 2 year old, and get walked every day for at least 45 minutes, plus lots of chasing each other, balls etc etc.

And yes, they do have those big brown eyes that say "I'm starving, feed me, pleeeaaasssseeee" :laugh: but, I'm very good at resisting them. They are not overweight at all, I just don't want them turning tubby.

do you suspect an allergy to beef?

If your dogs aren't allergic to beef then there's no harm feeding it :)

This. I think dogs benefit from variety. I feed beef, lamb, pork, turkey, chicken and occasionally duck.

What size dog have you got - any reason they can't have chicken wings or larger parts of chicken?

If your dogs are fat, feed less quantity, not less variety!

I am just trying things out at the moment, as they are both rescue dogs and new to our home. He just has your typical staffy itchy belly and I'd like to try to help him. I have a few natural remedies and we are trying very hard, it is under control and I do believe it is a seasonal thing (as our old staffy that passed last year also had itchy belly syndrome).

I have at the present time got some roo, chicken and a little beef and veal left. They do get whole chicken carcasses, RMBs, eggs, sardines etc on a regular basis as well.

I'm really not convinced it is a beef allergy/intolerance, just trying things out. I do agree, that variety is good. Sorry, the OP was not very in depth.

With my boy's intolerances to numerous meat protein sources, goat was something I stumbled across at our local wholesale butcher's so I bought it, hoping that he'd go well on it and be able to accept it for the bone component as well as for the meat source. But he won't have a bar of it.

Haven't tried goat for my dogs, but I love a goat curry myself :D

Haven't tried goat for my dogs, but I love a goat curry myself :D

:vomit: