Death-row Dogs Makeover

Interesting video from New.com

http://www.news.com....w-dogs-makeover

Article says:

We gave seven dogs from Monika's Rescues a fighting chance of finding a loving home by shooting their portraits in our studio. The results were stunning and touching images that will change the way you look at dogs from the pound.

Edited by Boronia

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what way are these dogs on 'death row'?

Well they might have been in the pound, but once at Monika's, the terminology would be purely for marketing purposes.

However, if it gets them into new permanent homes, so be it.

I can't hear any of the voices, so can't really comment on what was said.

In what way are these dogs on 'death row'?

Well they might have been in the pound, but once at Monika's, the terminology would be purely for marketing purposes.

However, if it gets them into new permanent homes, so be it.

I can't hear any of the voices, so can't really comment on what was said.

One of the things the guy did say was that they could do a lot better - not good photos or website.

As a rescuer, you have a duty to commit every possible resource into finding a dog a home, once you've got them out of the pound. Along the way you learn and evolve.

Some do not. That's how some poor souls end up spending year after year in an environment that is less than ideal.

No dog should be sitting there for 5 years, they need to work an awful lot harder so that doesn't happen.

And yes, I worked there for years so I know.

5 Years is a long time. Sometimes I wonder what is too long and how do we avoid long term dogs if they are well behaved and trained but just are not finding that home.

I worked there for years, too; many of the dogs are long-termers of 3 years or more, especially any of the ones with 'issues.' They have also adopted out dogs involved in killing other dogs.. It's really just hoarding dogs as if rotting in rescue for years on end in an overcrowded, noisy shelter is better than a peaceful end :mad A lot of dogs developed problems as a result of institutionalisation.

Edited by halfthewords

I worked there for years, too; many of the dogs are long-termers of 3 years or more, especially any of the ones with 'issues.' They have also adopted out dogs involved in killing other dogs.. It's really just hoarding dogs as if rotting in rescue for years on end in an overcrowded, noisy shelter is better than a peaceful end :mad A lot of dogs developed problems as a result of institutionalisation.

Yes, all the events that went on and what the inmates had to endure used to keep me awake at night.

It still worries me now, several years later.

Great video, I take all my fosters to Hall in NSW great place with open fields many shade trees, we walk them around and then attach each dog on an elastic long lead to different trees and then the photographer then sits/lies on the ground and each dog just watches what others are doing and then gets the good shots.

People often comment on the great photos that are on our site, you can actually enlarge them and see the eyes and close ups of their faces, which sells them even more. We are hoping to advance to videos which is going to be so exciting, for us, at least, we will be enhancing our website shortly as well.

http://www.canberrapoochrescue.org.au/web/index.php/dogs

Why are some dogs at Monica's there for 5 years, I have never heard of any dogs being in care for that long.....surely the right home has come along in that time.....

Maree

CPR

It has been said that perhaps the adoption process is a factor in why dogs are there for so long.

Those interested in a dog are often put through too many hoops and often treated abruptly or rudely.This has come from those that then turn to other rescue groups,and although they may have a responsible adoption process, the people are treated more politley or reasonably by those running the rescue.

A matter of courtesy perhaps.

In addition, a lot of the dogs taken are what are left after other rescue groups have taken their selections, and the dogs are taken without being checked by anyone from this rescue group as to whether the dogs have major health or behaviour issues.

They have a reputation for taking any small dog so that it doesnt have to be put down. So their incoming numbers are greater than their rehomings each week.Numbers soon build up.

Edited by honeybun

It has been said that perhaps the adoption process is a factor in why dogs are there for so long.

Those interested in a dog are often put through too many hoops and often treated abruptly or rudely.This has come from those that then turn to other rescue groups,and although they may have a responsible adoption process, the people are treated more politley or reasonably by those running the rescue.

A matter of courtesy perhaps.

In addition, a lot of the dogs taken are what are left after other rescue groups have taken their selections, and the dogs are taken without being checked by anyone from this rescue group as to whether the dogs have major health or behaviour issues.

They have a reputation for taking any small dog so that it doesnt have to be put down. So their incoming numbers are greater than their rehomings each week.Numbers soon build up.

Spot on sadly :( Since I quit a couple of years ago they seem to have implemented some training for certain dogs to make them more adoptable, have reduced their numbers somewhat and improved the conditions of the kennels and yards, but I cannot forget seeing sometimes 4 or more dogs cramped into 2 x 4 kennels for 15-17 hours a night. Carl came from that shelter and I'm still trying to undo the damage that seven months in those conditions did to him mentally six years later.

As a rescuer, you have a duty to commit every possible resource into finding a dog a home, once you've got them out of the pound. Along the way you learn and evolve.

Some do not. That's how some poor souls end up spending year after year in an environment that is less than ideal.

Ah yes, the ideal. Sadly I think some people think their job is done when the dog is out of the pound.

And then there are those who think they have reached the apex of their business and nothing needs to change despite obvious and tragic failings.

Loving the discussion should be very helpful for some

HappyCamper, this problem has been discussed over and over and over again and with absolutely no affect on a couple of large and long standing rescue organisations. Unfortunately, some organisations/sole operators do not see that they have a problem and do not visit DOL (which is not to say that DOL is the be all and end all - far from it LOL).

However, if these discussions can influence any people coming new into the rescue world they certainly need to be raised and refreshed at regular intervals.

There was a discussion here some years ago about whether exchanging one cage for another constituted rescue. Some other DOL who is more search savvy than I am might be able to find it.

I had heard from a few people over the years that many small dogs died from attacks from others because there were too many dogs in the one pen and they were all fed together.

Most of the dogs are small, the larger dogs are typically kept alone or in similar sizes. But there used to be dry food left in the yards which is what largely contributed to the deaths, as well as some dogs taking chicken wings/necks at feeding time and hiding them, thus causing fights later on...but the majority of kills happened overnight in the kennels where the dogs were unsupervised in groups of 4 or more for long periods of time. :(

What was the procedure when dogs were killed?

There were a few instances that involved the same bitch (corgi x) and she was not kept on her own until the third fight and third dead dog. After that, all the dogs involved in a fatal fight were separated from others for a number of days and then slowly introduced back into pairs (usually male/female with one clearly the 'boss').