Death-row Dogs Makeover

I would hope that those who have proof of these things would take it to the RSPCA/AWL or the relevant government agency but it seems not.

Most of it is kept secret. Just before I left there were 2 or 3 deaths - all explained away to me as if it was perfectly reasonable for these things to occur. I was very angry, I didn't find it at all acceptable and said so and it was one of the reasons I left. I'm sure there were far more deaths than I knew about - reading the comments above.

I don't think they would disclose that kind of information to potential adopters which is terrifying.. Dogs that bite or are difficult to handle are described as "shy" in their magazine and in need of "love," rather than behaviour modification :banghead:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually quite a complex situation. Whenever you have a dog + 1 or + 2 or multiple other dogs, there will always be a chance of something happening - whether it be in a pound, shelter, dog park or your home.

In the pounds in Sydney, Hawkesbury does not double up unless 2 dogs came from the same home.

Renbury and Blacktown do. There would have to have been deaths in these situations - most dogs are undesexed in pounds, there may be bitches on heat nearby or in the same enclosure even. You may unwittingly put an epileptic stray dog in, pounds have no way of knowing this.

I've been in Blacktown and have seen dogs at risk from other enclosure inmates and gone and reported it to the office, asking them to move a particular dog into a different enclosure. Pound staff don't have time to stand and observe all the dogs' behaviour over periods of time, it simply isn't feasible and the pounds don't have enough room for single dog enclosures.

Even if you are a person that fosters dogs and have your own dogs, there can be consequences - sometimes fatal for your own or other foster dogs. I've been very lucky so far but have had some issues with incoming dogs that have had to be managed, sometimes by moving them elsewhere to protect my own dogs from overly dominant behaviour etc.

My neighbours owned 2 dogs that had been together all their lives and had gotten on well. One day the larger of the two turned around and killed the Chi cross.

Unfortunately, it's not straightforward but that's not to say that the issues described in posts above cannot be improved by less overcrowding and much better systems and monitoring of all the dogs. Lack of monitoring the dogs was a significant problem.

Edited by dogmad

Your post is totally on the mark, dogmad. However, the difference between the place referred to and pounds is that this place has had many many episodes over the years and, whereas I have not seen them with my own eyes, I have had many talks with the first hand observers/workers/volunteers of the conditions that have existed and, apparently still do despite thousands of dollars in donations being spent on new premises.

The difference between this place and dogs in foster care via a reputable rescuer is that a dog involved in a fatality is immediately euthanised - same if a dog is unable to be handled through aggression. A dog in foster care is given training and every opportunity to show that it can be rehabilitated and, if after time, it is obvious that the dog cannot be rehabilitated and is suffering, then it is euthanised.

Sadly (and I will be haunted until my dying day), I have experienced both: a foster dog killed one of my own dogs and I had to euthanise a dog I'd rescued because she was aggressive and obviously suffering.

I understand no one likes to see a dog put down, and I do think that one needs to look at the reason for the attack and find out if it is fixable ie I couldnt fault a dog for attacking another if it was acting as a pack member and jumped in on the fight as dogs will do that sometimes but if a dog is deemed unpredictable then its just not worth the risk to let him/her out into a community.

Ware-housing dogs/long term kenneling without rehab/training/social interaction IMO is never acceptable. Keeping many dogs in a very large pack situation is always going to be problematic.

Sending a DA dog (that has killed) out into the community is not rescue.......

/long term kenneling without rehab/training/social interaction IMO is never acceptable.

Keeping many dogs in a very large pack situation is always going to be problematic.

Yes, to your first statement, whoever keeps them ... and wherever.

And yes to your second statement, too. Breeders of my breed of interest have told me that 'incidents' can happen where a fight will break out. They've said when it happens with the females, they mean business. Have no idea if that's generalizable to others.

/long term kenneling without rehab/training/social interaction IMO is never acceptable.

Keeping many dogs in a very large pack situation is always going to be problematic.

And yes to your second statement, too. Breeders of my breed of interest have told me that 'incidents' can happen where a fight will break out. They've said when it happens with the females, they mean business. Have no idea if that's generalizable to others.

Yes there's real fire in a bitch fight. They can be absolutely feral and it can turn into a lifelong hate.

Pack fights however often start with an instigator and deteriorate into an attack on the weakest be it male or female. The one who squeals, or is having a seizure or is just the smallest oldest or weakest dog. :( It's when you see the real animal wiring in a dog that would otherwise be wagging it's tail at you.

If the owner of the rescue has an RSPCA liason officer, those insections will be forewarned...

Try reporting to the AWL instead - that fellow who found the neglected Dane today is like a dog with a bone to investigate any complaints... trust me...

T.

If the owner of the rescue has an RSPCA liason officer, those insections will be forewarned...

Try reporting to the AWL instead - that fellow who found the neglected Dane today is like a dog with a bone to investigate any complaints... trust me...

T.

What is his name?

• 6 months later...

Yes there's real fire in a bitch fight. They can be absolutely feral and it can turn into a lifelong hate.

Pack fights however often start with an instigator and deteriorate into an attack on the weakest be it male or female. The one who squeals, or is having a seizure or is just the smallest oldest or weakest dog. :( It's when you see the real animal wiring in a dog that would otherwise be wagging it's tail at you.

I know exactly what you mean there and it's terrifying to see.

I've PTS three dogs in my care for DA (the first was absolutely horrific and I'll never forget it) and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the dog obviously had issues. The idea of keeping that sort of dog and putting other foster dogs at ongoing risk is just incomprehensible to me.