Dogs In Will?

Del678

I can't find another thread on this though I'm sure it's been asked. We're doing up a will and were wondering, do people put the care of their dogs into their will? What sort of provisions do dog-owners have? Do you also leave money to the care of the dog?

We'd hate for our dogs to be sent to the RSPCA/pound by family when we have friends who would take them, or we'd like them to at least consult the breeder/trainer to see if they know someone who would take them.

I think if you aren't certain that people would know what you wanted done then it's worth including them. I know for certain my parents would take our girls as they are quite fond of them so I haven't worried but if they weren't able to and things were a little less certain then I would.

I think if you aren't certain that people would know what you wanted done then it's worth including them.

We will definitely bring it up with intended and family but in my experience, people can get weird after someone dies so you just never know what will go on if it’s not written down. Or worse, that no one speaks of them at all.

Though thinking about it, this is one of only two people who will be able to get to our GSDs without some scary growling when we’re not home. It’s more just concern they won’t be contacted by the family and therefore asked to take the dogs.

There was an interesting thread on this a while ago and there was a member with a legal background that gave some really good advice. I'm hopeless at finding old threads so hopefully someone else will find it for you. I don't have any family and I know none of my friends that live here would take my greyhounds so they will be going to a trusted friend in Tasmania.

Edited by HazyWal

There was an interesting thread on this a while ago and there was a member with a legal background that gave some really good advice. I'm hopeless at finding old threads so hopefully someone else will find it for you.

that's the problem problem when the keywords are "will" and "dog" :)

My sister lives with me and we agreed to care for each other's dogs if the need ever arose. I am at present worried about my mother's dementia though. She has bantam hens which I will be able to rehome easy enough but the love of her life is a stray tabby kitten which she tamed. I spent a fortune getting him desexed, vaccinated, etc. He had cat flu for a long time and continues to have some kind of herbal powder with his din dins every day, based on some amazing advice here on DOL, which keeps him well. Even though he lets me feed him if mum is away, he hides from everyone else and we have two non cat friendly dogs here so I do worry about my options for him when she is no longer able to care for her pets. As he was a stray he continually finds new ways of getting out of my parent's enclosed verandah now so I don't know how he would cope being an inside only cat or in a run. He seems fine with other cats so that is one good thing. He is just your average tabby cat. I'm happy to fund a new home for him but seriously, who is going to love him if mum can't?

Yes they are ,they are financially set up ,breeders are offered the dogs first (and are aware of this) next in line is friends who will be the caretakers,any we now won't cope are to be put down or any elderly or assessed as not suitable are also to be PTS .

We are also the caretakers of friends dogs with the same guidelines .

All parties are aware .

Are dogs will only be left to people dedicated to the breed,aware of the care required or rehomed with the assistance of there breeders .

Not left to family .

It needs to be changed often & ideally you should keep a folder of each dog ,details & any medical issues /vet .

I know of two healthy young pure bred dogs who were pts by family after their owner died in an accident. Rescue was willing to take on the dogs and rehome them but the family believed the dogs would not cope without the owner.

I have a folder containing all Stussy and Tempeh's papers but I have never told my sister where it is. Will do that today and maybe get her to put her dog's papers with mine. Mind you - we use the same vet and are with the same council so we probably know everything we need to already.

Mine are not in my will but children know what to do.

I had a phone call from a lady who got a pup from me 2 years ago. Sad. She has cancer & asked if she could leave the dog to me in her will & his little companion friend.

Slow cancer so hopefully she will outlive them but of course I said yes & promised I would care for them if anything happens. Seems this is not unusual.

Guest Wildthing

Whilst I don't have dogs, the cats are taken care of in my Will with specific instructions as to where they go and what can happen to them there. Would not have it any other way as I have had to deal with so many families who promised their parents they would look after the cat when they died and the moment the parent died, said cat could not be gotten rid of fast enough. Most offspring did not care where the cat went either. Not prepared for that to happen to my cats, but I don't have any family. I have even discussed the conditions of the cats going where they are with the CEO (NOT the RSPCA under any circumstances either)

Mine are not in my will but children know what to do.

I had a phone call from a lady who got a pup from me 2 years ago. Sad. She has cancer & asked if she could leave the dog to me in her will & his little companion friend.

Slow cancer so hopefully she will outlive them but of course I said yes & promised I would care for them if anything happens. Seems this is not unusual.

Please ensure those who are closest to her know this, so something doesn't happen to the dog before you are informed. As you say, hopefully she will have many more years with her dog yet.

You also need to have a plan as to what happens if alive but unable to care for the dogs and can't communicate your wishes.

Mine are sorted (one goes to my sister , fearful girl goes to heaven). My sister has agreed to take him and discussed it with her husband before she said yes (do I know she takes it seriously ).

For all of those people who say my mum/sister/aunt/friend/whoever will look after my dog:

1. Never assume

2. Make sure you have discussed it with them

3. Put it in your will

4. Ensure funds are bequeathed to the people who are going to look after your animals.

Here here :thumbsup: - we will re-write our will soon since we don't have kids we have very specific details about what to do about the dogs. Of course we aren't planning to die anytime soon but accidents happen and god forbid that it does we want to know the dogs are safe and in the right hands. All signed all legal all funds allocated.