Time To Trust With A Soft Crate?

LisaCC

I've been told by lots of people that a good quality soft crate is the way to go as I plan on trialing in obedience and agility when Nova and I are ready.

But when do you make the switch from normal wire crate to soft?

I need to get him a new one either way as he's looking a bit squished in his 36" crate currently. He has always been great in a crate, he calms down immediately in them, even at training, where he can be a bit over stimulated, he will lay down in it and not push on the sides or anything like that.

He's 10 months old now, would you get another wire crate and wait out adolescence first incase he decides to test it's boundaries a bit, or would you trust him in a soft crate?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think it depends on the dog. My young BC was in a soft crate by about that time. It depends how reactive your dog is to the environment. I think its more the case of baby steps to. If you are mostly leaving the dog in low distraction environments unsupervised and the dog is good in the crate already then a soft crate might work. I do know the first few times I left the "puppy" in a soft crate I had somebody else keeping an eye on her. I will say when I was crating her post ortho surgery I went back to a solid crate as I felt safer leaving her in that even despite the fact she was well crate trained. I like the ones which have flaps that you can close up so the dog can't see. I would think a totally open crate like the one you posted the link to might tempt the dog to break out if they can see to much of what is going on.

Think it depends on the dog. My young BC was in a soft crate by about that time. It depends how reactive your dog is to the environment. I think its more the case of baby steps to. If you are mostly leaving the dog in low distraction environments unsupervised and the dog is good in the crate already then a soft crate might work. I do know the first few times I left the "puppy" in a soft crate I had somebody else keeping an eye on her. I will say when I was crating her post ortho surgery I went back to a solid crate as I felt safer leaving her in that even despite the fact she was well crate trained. I like the ones which have flaps that you can close up so the dog can't see. I would think a totally open crate like the one you posted the link to might tempt the dog to break out if they can see to much of what is going on.

Oh I didn't realise that one didn't have flaps that folded down!

Yes I will definitely keep his current solid crate, it's big enough for him generally, but he likes to stretch out to sleep at night and it doesn't allow that anymore! I think one he can do it in would be better for overnight trips.

Thanks for the tips!

If you have any recommendations for a crate that would be great :)

I would transition to a soft crate when you think his chewing stage might be over & as Ness said, until you are sure he will not tear it to bits, it would be best to have someone supervise. The Clean run one will cost you a fortune to post over. I have just bought my second Australian Made, Australian Owned K9 crate & can't speak highly enough of them...service & quality is great :thumbsup: I bought it for my large border collie & I bought the ML size. They also make matching padded crate mats. Here they are in their K9 crates last week away camping :)

P1020338-Copy_zps48d95661.jpg

I would transition to a soft crate when you think his chewing stage might be over & as Ness said, until you are sure he will not tear it to bits, it would be best to have someone supervise. The Clean run one will cost you a fortune to post over. I have just bought my second Australian Made, Australian Owned K9 crate & can't speak highly enough of them...service & quality is great :thumbsup: I bought it for my large border collie & I bought the ML size. They also make matching padded crate mats. Here they are in their K9 crates last week away camping :)

Would this type be OK for car journeys less than 30 minutes duration? I'm looking for down the track.

Hoping this type would work. My neck is riddled with arthritis & I am not sure of my own ability to handle a heavier crate.

I have these ones for mine. As far as soft crates go they seem to withstand a fair bit of abuse and are still going strong 5 years later - http://www.k9softdog...ex.php?p=crates

The only thing I don't really like about them is there is no flap on the front so I normally take a towel to cover the front section.

THIS ONE has a front flap, I'm guessing it's a new model?

Would this type be OK for car journeys less than 30 minutes duration?

Why not just use a harness for short trips like that ? No lifting etc then ...

That's the other option. Just a soft crate would be of use for overnight visits too.

Not yet picked the 'ideal' harness and funds are a big factor as well.

Looking at all options.

before automatically assuming a crate with "window flaps" is better, I would make sure your dog is just as comfortable in an enclosed crate as he in a wire one! I picked a crate with the most wide open mesh I could find because the dog I bought it for completely and utterly PANICS if she is enclosed in a "closed in" type crate. you would never know in a million years based on how totally calm and relaxed she is in a wire crate. "most" dog do like the enclosed crates(all my other dogs prefer the smallest darkest place they can find lol) so its a safe bet, but soft crates are not cheap, you don't wanna find out the hard way lol

I 2nd K9 crates but mine don't have flaps which I am happy with. I only use them normally at shows but do take them away with me on road trips. If I want them covered for any reason I just throw a fleece blanket over them.

I love my k9 soft crates. :) 2 of my guys have been fine in soft crates from a youngish age.

The third......ummmmmm.........

Flyball nationals - look across field. Oh oh. Why is that cute little BC puppy running around - AAAAAAAAAAGH its my cute little BC puppy. She had worked out how to get out and came looking for her big brother and sister. We put her back in and then she ripped the front out because the zip didn't work.

In sterile environments she is fine, but it took forever before I could leave her in a soft crate in an exciting environment. (And she is my calmest one!)

She was almost 3.5 years before I could trust her in a soft crate. Now we have no problems. Like Ness said, I think it depends on the dog and their personality etc.

Thanks guys. Do you use your soft crates all year round? They don't get too hot in warmer months?

I use mine all year round for camping, visiting or trials etc. At home I have wire crates with covers. The young guy sleeps in his wire crate every night & the other wire crate is for my girl when we get a thunderstorm. I only have wire crates because this is what I had before I got the soft crates, while they were puppies, so they are permantlly set up at home & we use the soft crates for travel, but no reason why you couldn't get full use out of them at home. They are quite well ventilated when all the flaps are up. :)