The Beauty Of Black Dogs

There is a stunning two year old male black Kelpie at the Forbes pound, urgent for rescue. I never owned a black dog, but I think they are the most beautiful of the lot. :heart:

He really does look stunning! I hope he gets a save. Have to admit I'm tempted :o

AWDRI are taking him :)

Glad he got a save! :thumbsup:

I adore my little black dog. I bet I'd have no trouble rehoming her. :laugh:

she's not going anywhere though.

I quite like photographing her in a dark background so it's dark on dark. I didn't use a flash here.

11168229225_bfe5161682.jpg

Interesting things happens with black dogs. My father once spent considerable time entertaining bemused people walking by on the footpath. In the night gloom he was calling our black BC X. Peter, whom he saw sitting at the front of the neighbour's garden. And couldn't figure out why the usually biddable Peter wouldn't come. He got more & more frustrated. Until someone pointed out that he was talking to the neighbour's letter box.

Edited by mita

I find black dogs gorgeous, of course i'm biased....our family's black lab is about to turn 13, here are some obligatory photos...she's always been so shiny, it's something I love about black dogs - and the dirt doesn't show up half as much! (I now have Dalmatians, the difference is amazing)

CoffsWeekend10710007_zps18b0e121.jpg

megedited_zps6f8bdfad.jpg

variousdecember086_zps9a39859b.jpg

I love my black dog. He is not short of admirers when we go out. I don't understand why anyone who have any sort of 'phobia' against a black dog. Also any colour looks good on them. One of my other favourite black dogs is a black greyhound, whippet or Italian. They are just so slinky and shiny. Thank you Krislin for showing your little beauty.

DSC_0813_zps341e8d34.jpgDSC_0828_zps8704c6f2.jpg

But I do understand why brindle dogs have a rough time. There are so many of them at the local shelters they just look common. I love their look - but then there isn't really a dog I don't admire in some way - but some people just don't like 'common'.

I much prefer black in a whole load of dog breeds... Dobes, whippets, iggies, border collies, german shepherds, kelpies, shelties (black & white, not so much tri though but prefer tri to sable). A fit, shiny black dog is such a gorgeous thing to behold!

I might be bias though :) :)

473276_10200671672807920_1498546394_o.jpg

My failed foster Loki, would have to be one of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen. We fell in love the moment I set eyes on her not so flattering photo on the Renbury site.

post-41708-0-88405800-1396963190_thumb.jpg

to now

post-41708-0-41789500-1396963278_thumb.jpg

They are definitely harder to photograph, its hard to capture their true beauty I think.

Love all your black dogs :love:

Bella my Kelpie is black and tan and the hub of our household. She is such a wise soul, she has been here before :)

She does not look or act her age, and at 15 is still the "fun police" if our other two ding dongs (partners in crime) get up to any mischeif :laugh:

Kirslin, do you prefer any particular light? At the shelter I found full sunlight impossible.

On other days (overcast) it was better, it also depended on the time of day. Early morning, late afternoon produced better pics.

A backdrop helped as well though I had never considered black.

Love all your black dogs :love:

Bella my Kelpie is black and tan and the hub of our household. She is such a wise soul, she has been here before :)

She does not look or act her age, and at 15 is still the "fun police" if our other two ding dongs (partners in crime) get up to any mischeif :laugh:

Kirslin, do you prefer any particular light? At the shelter I found full sunlight impossible.

On other days (overcast) it was better, it also depended on the time of day. Early morning, late afternoon produced better pics.

A backdrop helped as well though I had never considered black.

Sun over head on bright sunny days isn't great but to be honest I never give it alot of thought, I just take pics as the mood and situation arises. I suppose some turn out better than others depening on the conditions at the time though.

Here's another one just taken in natural light (I dont own a flash)

10773219506_dd2a7578c7.jpg

These were taken in sunny conditions although I dont think it was overhead.

10236563713_6b2557b136.jpg

10257078304_b646af036f.jpg

10617621255_2f285cfb5f.jpg

Thanks Kirslin, I love your photos and little Neko.

I notice the first has a dark background, the second and third have dark pots and a dark chook :) behind Neko.

The fourth is still gorgeous though it doesnt capture little Neko quite as well.

At the shelter we only had concrete runs most often in full sun. I was aware of the light at different times of day so would photograph the black dogs early am or late afternoon most often.

Grass was not an option due to disease control. At times we used donated bedding sheets when desperate or props.

I know without doubt that a great photo of any dog looking for a home is invaluable (amoungst other things).

Black dogs are definately much more difficult to photograph and to even see in shelter pens. Shelter staff are often time poor and have multiple dogs coming in from different areas. Let alone trying to get a decent camera through council!

I have lost count of the number of people who have come to look at a dog available for adoption after seeing pound mug shots and when they meet the dog they do not recognise them from the pound pic's.

I wonder if you could take a sheet with you for your photography sessions, not to put in the dog run but to hang over the wire to block the harsh light?

I have not been involved for three or four years now though through past experience I know how difficult it is to photograph black dogs. Esspecially in a shelter environment!

Even a greying muzzle via age is a blessing for completely black dogs as it breaks it up. Young completely black dogs are very difficult to get a great pic of.

The other difficult aspect is the number and volume of dogs from week to week. One week I would temp test and photograph say seven urgents, the following week I would have thirty.

I had more time to fiddle and persist with a small number and the pics were much, much better. On a day of thirty plus it was very difficult, mostly because I would not settle for a terrible pic and made sure they had at least one. That then put me behind in listing other urgent dogs.

I agree and would love a specific area set up for poundie pics with different coloured backdrops. I prateled on about that consistently for years :laugh:

Not hard to do at all and makes so much sense when rehoming fantasic family pets is made a priority.