Gosh I Love My Dobermann

Hi all :)

I came on here briefly a few months back but have been very busy with work and life so haven't been back nearly as much as I'd have liked.

Wanted to give a little update on my gorgeous 9 month old Dobermann girl.

I just recently moved out of the 'burbs and onto my dream property on acreage here in Brisbane. We now have horses, 6 acres of usable land and everything that comes along with life on land.

There were some transitions that had to take place - the place isn't fenced and I tossed and turned about what to do - whether to put up an invisible fence, keep her inside, etc.

I'm not sure if this might be controversial on this forum - but we decided to designate her an area and leave her tied up for a few hours during the day.

She still runs on a definitive routine - as I think she'd be totally lost without it. I run her in the mornings around the property off lead for 30 minutes - she is then tied up till around mid-morning when my house mates let her and their gorgeous 2 farm dogs off the lead for a few hours. During this time they roam the property (supervised), work with the horses, etc. She is tied up again after this but let off again in the afternoon for a big long run/walk.

So far she has taken exceptionally well to it all and seems to be thriving with so much land around her. We bought her a nice new kennel from Bunnings which she has really taken to and she enjoys having her designated area.

Once again - the breed is incredible if you have the lifestyle and capability for them. I think I was asked last time I was here as to whether she intimidates people when we're out and about - she does now a bit to some people as she is getting bigger. But she has never been trained or encouraged to be aggressive - she is a very gentle dog - however it does work in my favour being a young female and having a dog that is 'presumed dangerous'.

Here is a pic - before I put the bedding into her kennel - and also had my carpenter friend come over and extend the top to allow for a bit more head space. We will still need to upgrade it as she grows obviously.

Anybody else here got dobes? Anybody else run their dog on a similar routine?

10156036_1435054846737469_1297808898_n.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah she's only really tethered at night and a few hours in between activities during the day - I'm going to monitor her very carefully and if she seems like she starts not enjoying herself I'll look into invisible fencing an area for her.

Her chain isn't that heavy but the keys of the chain are quite large - I wanted to go with a heavier one rather than a lighter one to avoid her tangling herself. However, happy to take comments and direction for what others have done :p

Hi TwoDoggies if you read above "Here is a pic - before I put the bedding into her kennel - and also had my carpenter friend come over and extend the top to allow for a bit more head space. We will still need to upgrade it as she grows obviously."

My intention with her is actually to have her have run of the property. The only thing that is preventing that at the moment is that I want her to have a bit more experience around the horses before she has loose rein. She's highly intelligent (as are most dobes) and as the property is set back quite a bit from the road I think I'll have success with this.

There's actually a bottom deck where we are going to move her whilst she is tied up as well - with overhead protection and cool brick for the heat. I think because she does spend so much time off the leash and working it really isn't bothering her too much - but in the next few weeks I'd like to move away from it entirely.

Here's a video to show the kind of space she has to move around in on our walks and runs.

View My Video

Edited by skyeedavidson

So what is the long term plan ,will she be chained for life ??

In wet weather is that her only form of protection .

Yes, have you thought about a dog run for her? You could put some snake mesh on a dog run too, and build in a bit more shelter from the rain. Just a thought. She looks like a lovely girl.

Hi TwoDoggies if you read above "Here is a pic - before I put the bedding into her kennel - and also had my carpenter friend come over and extend the top to allow for a bit more head space. We will still need to upgrade it as she grows obviously."

My intention with her is actually to have her have run of the property. The only thing that is preventing that at the moment is that I want her to have a bit more experience around the horses before she has loose rein. She's highly intelligent (as are most dobes) and as the property is set back quite a bit from the road I think I'll have success with this.

There's actually a bottom deck where we are going to move her whilst she is tied up as well - with overhead protection and cool brick for the heat. I think because she does spend so much time off the leash and working it really isn't bothering her too much - but in the next few weeks I'd like to move away from it entirely.

Here's a video to show the kind of space she has to move around in on our walks and runs.

Sorry, I missed that. I just don't like the idea of any dog being confined on the end of a chain, so I guess I was being protective of her.

Thanks for the feedback guys. To be totally honest I've been racking my mind thinking of alternatives - because she's such an intelligent, obliging dog she has been very good but I certainly wouldn't want her chained up as a long-term solution.

Runs and pens sound like decent alternatives. But I really think I will go ahead and aim to have her just having free rein of the house/front paddocks. A few friends and family members have done similar things with their dogs - a few of them being dobes. The other option is to teach her to patrol the perimeter in the time that she isn't busy - which I've thought about as well.

Of course - this will take place of a few weeks of supervised, focused training. Happy to have tips and know-how knowledge from those who have dogs they do this with.

Edited by skyeedavidson

Personally I would fence some of the property properly for her or build a dog run.

I have to go along with this.

Skyeedavidson, your girl may become 100% reliable in time, but if your property is not secure what about other dogs coming onto your property.

You mention she is so intelligent and obliging, you'd hate to see that personality changed if other dogs were to attack her. And that is such a danger if she is on a chain. She'd have no chance.

Sorry, a dog tethered and unsupervised gives me the horrors. They are very very vulnerable.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I would not risk any dog, but especially not a Dobe roaming unfenced acerage. It is irresponsible.

I would look at an area ( and this can be acres big) fenced off with a containment system.

I built dog runs for mine and they were in there if I wasn't home and they certainly never roamed at night.

Many dogs will roam at night kill livestock and be home in time for you to get up in the morning.

Also people have the right to shoot your dog on site if it is on their property, even if it isn't not actively involved in harassing livestock, are you willing to take that risk???

I think allowing a Dobe to roam acerage is totally irresponsible and stupid.

Yes Dobes are wonderful dogs, yes they are intelligent. At the end of the day they are dogs and you are dicing with her life should you choose to let her roam free.

I would get rid of the chain and tiny dog house and build her something that keeps her safe and is more suitable.

Edited by OSoSwift

Oh and posted by someone who lives on a farm with livestock and has lived with Dobes on said acerage, and has also seen and dealt with the consequences of "my little well behaved darling/s would never do that" roaming dogs

Oh and I am also the one who got called when a friends Dobe - who was a lovely boy - got shot in the head and survived after he was caught chasing livestock. But he would never hurt anything either.

It's so frustrating!

Edited by OSoSwift

I moved out onto 10 acres and managed to fence a day yard for my dogs.

Cost $50 per panel for 10 temporary fencing panels 2.5m long by 2.1m high.. And then a few hundred for a cubby house for shelter..

Easily movable is I move house. And panels are a standard size so I can eventually upgrade when the funds are handy

I moved out onto 10 acres and managed to fence a day yard for my dogs.

Cost $50 per panel for 10 temporary fencing panels 2.5m long by 2.1m high.. And then a few hundred for a cubby house for shelter..

Easily movable is I move house. And panels are a standard size so I can eventually upgrade when the funds are handy

What about a photograph, please Esky, so totally un-DIYers like I am, have some idea. Thanks.

Yep- fence, fence, fence.

I live on acreage too- thirty acres with eight horses- and I would absolutely no way have my dogs roaming the property unsupervised for a number of reasons.

I have a fenced 1.8 acre backyard with snake mesh, and that connects also to a fully fenced 25m cat run ... of a night my dogs are inside with the cat run door closed but a cat flap into the cat run, of a day the cat run door is open which means using the cat flap dogs and cats can go out into the backyard from the house as they choose.

If my dogs roamed my property- they could get killed by neighbouring farmers if they went near their stock (well .... my dogs are poodles so not likely but this is something that frequently happens to roaming dogs in the country), they can eat bait, they can be bitten by a snake, they can damage or be damaged by your horses- one kick is all it takes, they could be hit by a car.

Chain is not a long term solution but a doberman roaming freely on six acres isn't either ...

She's a beautiful girl though and I'm sure you'll figure it out :)