When To Take Dogs To Vet For Diarrhea?

Guest donatella

Just my feelings, but I don't believe it is necessary for dogs to have something to graze on. My dogs are offered their meals twice a day - sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't. If they don't, it comes up in about 10-15 minutes.

For treats they get tiny bits of dried liver and for big treats ( :laugh: :laugh: ) they get roo jerky, but not little pieces that they can swallow outright, larger pieces that they can chew on for ages.

I hope Bon and Lucy are better soon. Which is which in your avatar photo?

Guest donatella

Yes I know its bad, ironically though they never got sick on them, I thought they had guts of steel!!

So should I book a vet appt this afternoon or watch them for 1 more day? i'm so torn.

Guest donatella

Just my feelings, but I don't believe it is necessary for dogs to have something to graze on. My dogs are offered their meals twice a day - sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't. If they don't, it comes up in about 10-15 minutes.

For treats they get tiny bits of dried liver and for big treats ( :laugh: :laugh: ) they get roo jerky, but not little pieces that they can swallow outright, larger pieces that they can chew on for ages.

I hope Bon and Lucy are better soon. Which is which in your avatar photo?

They are pretty good with food, they are gutz and will eat most things. I will look into the liver treats. Bon is overweight so I should be more strict with diet but I feel bad not giving them something during the day perhaps I should feed breakfast and dinner (because of their size).

Bon is the cream one and Lucy is the orange one :)

if you want them to 'graze ... slowly put them onto a good quality complete kibble ..and put it in treat balls :D That way they can be kept occupied , but are still just eating one of their meals !

I would do a vet visit today ... explosive stinky diarrhoea for 4 days is not good.

Guest donatella

Okay i've booked a 4.30pm appointment. They were happy for me to monitor them today but when I mentioned the offensive smell they said best to bring them in.

I was scouring the shelves at Bunnings a couple of days ago looking for something to clean algae of cement and I came across Glitz Green Eucalyptus Oil. I had some cotton sheets that I used for the old lounge for the dogs to lie on and no matter what I used in terms of laundry liquid, hours on the line in the sun, nothing seemed to get the whiff of doggy out of them. I tried the GGEO (20mls to the washing) and it worked.

I am also now mixing it in the watering can that I use to wash where a couple of the dogs wee on the deck when it is raining :(:(

It is a lovely fresh smell.

Hope Bon and Lucy and your bedspread are better soon.

I would be boiling and cooling all their water for a couple of days. If they are not eating IMO it is unlikely that they are still having the problem without any improvement if it is caused by food. However, if they are still drinking the water from a new environment maybe this is the culprit.

It never ceases to amaze me that people can admit their dogs are overweight but the cannot cut them back on food. It is totally in your control to feed an appropriate amount. Feeling bad about not giving something that is not needed is not logical. The dogs do not have human emotions and while they may look for that extra something if it is not forthcoming they will not pine for it.

Guest donatella

Well we're back. Hit of abs and some buscopan and some mucosa tablets and instructions to eat rice and chicken breast which is going down no problems with both of them.

When I say she is overweight she is 2.9kg and should be about 2.5. I can't cut back on her food her portions are already minuscule and I don't want to risk hypoglycaemia. What I need to do is getter her on a better diet and get her moving more. I used to feed VAN but they went off it for some reason might give it a go again after all this resolves.

When I say she is overweight she is 2.9kg and should be about 2.5. I can't cut back on her food her portions are already minuscule and I don't want to risk hypoglycaemia. What I need to do is getter her on a better diet and get her moving more. I used to feed VAN but they went off it for some reason might give it a go again after all this resolves.

Seems like a plan, Donatella :thumbsup:

What I used to do (and still do from time to time) when I had a dog with ..... itis (??? oh gawd my memory is going :(:( ) is to buy a whole chicken, boil it up as though I was making stock, but without any seasonings (about 3 litres of water to a whole chicken) for about 2 hours. Remove the chicken and let the stock stand so fat comes to the top. I'd scrape that off and then strain the stock through fabric to get virtually all of the fat out.

I'd break up the chicken, trying to be 100% sure that all the little bones were out. I'd use the stock to cook rice and vegetables for the dogs (you could use it for yourself, but I am a vegetarian) and also to moisen their food. All this mixed together is the BIGGEST favourite for the dogs. :eat::eat: I hardly have time to get it on the floor before their little snouts are in it :laugh: .

With your tiny littlies, one chicken would last quite a while mixed with the rice and veggies. You could even make up daily portions and freeze.

ETA: Probably best to discard the skin if your dogs are a bit overweight. A couple of mine are a bit porky so I limit them, but the others are fine. (I have five littlies.)

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Guest donatella

That sounds great DD! I wasn't expecting them to eat the rice just now but they did because I put the water it was boiling in through it. I like anything I can make in bulk for the week!!