Help Me! Please

logan

A greyhound run 45 minutes? My girl would drop dead she does a rush around the house twice and thats it she is puffed. I think greyhounds get recommended because for a large dog they are on the easy side like they can be happy in apartments etc but there is so much to consider when getting a grey, are you ever going to want a dog that can live with cats or small dogs as some even with training will have a go at a cat or small dog, are you ever going to want to go to a dog park and let the dog off lead with others I wouldnt risk this with my girl and she lives very well with small dogs and cats but that doesnt mean she will do fine at a dog park.

I think Greyhounds get recommended because there are a lot of them looking for homes.

I do wonder how well many of those keen to see a Greyhound rehomed understand the breed or its needs.

And I also wonder why less than ideal situations for most dogs are considered OK for Greyhounds.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A greyhound run 45 minutes? My girl would drop dead she does a rush around the house twice and thats it she is puffed. I think greyhounds get recommended because for a large dog they are on the easy side like they can be happy in apartments etc but there is so much to consider when getting a grey, are you ever going to want a dog that can live with cats or small dogs as some even with training will have a go at a cat or small dog, are you ever going to want to go to a dog park and let the dog off lead with others I wouldnt risk this with my girl and she lives very well with small dogs and cats but that doesnt mean she will do fine at a dog park.

I think Greyhounds get recommended because there are a lot of them looking for homes.

I do wonder how well many of those keen to see a Greyhound rehomed understand the breed or its needs.

And I also wonder why less than ideal situations for most dogs are considered OK for Greyhounds.

I am not sure but I think that people assume because they are kept in kennels while racing and from my experience they are not big complainers that equates to them being ok or happy. I guess people think if its just a bit better than how they are cared for in racing kennels then its fine for them. of course I was once told if a dog has to endure being uncomfortable for a few months or so to find a forever home its ok. :mad

I am not sure but I think that people assume because they are kept in kennels while racing and from my experience they are not big complainers that equates to them being ok or happy. I guess people think if its just a bit better than how they are cared for in racing kennels then its fine for them. of course I was once told if a dog has to endure being uncomfortable for a few months or so to find a forever home its ok. :mad

Personally I think they deserve to be rehomed to a situation better than the one they come out of. At least racing greys have regular free running exercise and constant company. This is not a breed suited to everyone in any home and I wish people would stop suggesting that it is.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

RRs are the sort of dog who essentially enjoy being around you. In general, if you're sitting, they're happy to sit with you. Yet they are just as ready and enthusiastic to get up for a run or outing with you when you're ready. I took on my first RR way back when I worked (from home) for long hours. I wanted a dog who would be happy to simply be around me. BUT I also made sure that my dog received daily exercise (both mentally and physically) because I knew that "just being around me" wasn't going to fulfil everything for her (or any dog) .... it's just that I find the RR somewhat less demanding in that way - they can *cope* with less than some other breed types, but not on a long-term basis.

I went for a mature RR (my girl was nearly 7yo when I rescued her - that's her in my avatar, bhcs) as I also knew that, given the hours my job demanded of me, I wouldn't have the time to be able to dedicate myself to toilet training and all the other typical puppy behaviours and training that need work until they learn how to live and behave around humans. I had the time to give, but it needed to be when it suited me in the day (even sometimes very late at night), not the other way around.

RRs need to be able to stretch their legs. They loooove coursing. Just because you don't have a back yard doesn't mean you can't have a dog, but it does mean that you need to be able to make up for the fact that you don't have a back yard. This would mean being able to run your dog off lead in a safe area, a good few times a week, amongst other things.

Also don't forget that just like any other dog, they need training - at the very least for mental stimulation sake, but also for community/social sake.

Whatever you tell yourself your property/living conditions doesn't provide, ask yourself what you can and will do to make up for that. And I think that will answer your question as to whether it can still prove suitable, regardless of what breed of dog you go for. By the sounds of it though, I think you would enjoy taking on a more mature dog (RRs don't mature until about 4yo ..... in my dog's case, 5yo and still counting :laugh: ), if it doesn't already have pre-existing behavioural issues.

Edited by Erny

Greyhound sounds like it'd be a good fit or something small and fluffy and older from the pound.

No to a greyhound for me and just for the record I'm sick of a greyhound getting thrown into the mix when all other breeds don't fit :(

Well said HazyWal!

A mature dog from a breeder or foster home will suit you better.

If you're open to getting a dog walker or dog daycare then the range of dogs suitable will be much larger.

Even though we have a decent yard my dog spends pretty much all of the time inside on my bed or on her bed. But she's also active enough to enjoy long walks (20+kms), running or cycling with me and doing activities like agility and retrieving. I get a dog walker several times a week and I'm lucky enough to be able to come home in my lunch break. Previously I had her at a dog daycare centre which worked out well too.

I might add she was not an easy puppy. I had the year off for research so I could spend lots of time with her as a pup. My situation now wouldn't be suitable for her as a pup.

You just need the right adult dog. There could be a number of suitable breeds for your situation. Maybe an older labrador, golden retriever, GSD or even RR could suit?

I have three westies temporarily in a small courtyard at the moment and as someone else said - it ain't fun. But it can work if you break up their week with activity and company while you are at work. After much initial grief, with much help from DOLers I now have a routine which seems to work so far - paws crossed.

Weekends are spent almost completely with me except one afternoon or evening a fortnight when I go to the football. I make choices about my own social life based on their needs first. Monday is then home alone with beds sprayed with adaptil spray and an anti-anxiety chew. Tuesdays is an anti-anxiety chew and their 'grandmother' comes and doggy-sits for the whole afternoon 5-7 hours). Wednesday is home alone again with adaptil sprayed beds. Thursday they all go to doggy daycare at huge cost. (They love it and are absolutely exhausted in a good way at the end of the day). Friday is a repetition of Tuesday with their 'grandmother' doggy- sitting for half a day. I walk them all most evenings as well.

It takes that level of company, activity and management to keep them and the neighbours happy.

So almost regardless of breed are you prepared to put that level of effort in, prioritise their needs first, deal with all the difficulties that might arise and basically if it comes to that, do whatever it takes?

If not, then don't get a dog. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I was thinking as a breed for taking on runs...

Still waiting for a reply to my question about how long the dog would be left alone..?

Perhaps a cat would be more suited to this situation ...

I have found it can differ for each dog depending on breed and age and facilities of their home.

The adult Vizslas can be left in comfort and contentement for up to 8 hours. They have a spare room fully ventilated with bedding, water & are secured. My neighbour assists with checking them, regardless of how long we are out.

Our new puppy who just made 5 months is only alone & crated for 4 hours tops. TBF, I get withdrawals if away longer from the wee shit.

Being alone ( for me) is balanced by great quality time with me when I am home.

please do NOT just go to a pound and get a "mature dog" . Lord knows what problems/illnesses etc you will be bringing home.

You don't sound very experienced - what dogs have you had before?

Taking aside the dog-inexperience: what's wrong with taking a mature dog home from the pound?! Your comment about bringing home potential 'problems/illnesses' makes it sound like you should avoid pounds all together! :( Plenty of amazing, wonderful (and healthy!) mature dogs that need homes in pounds, so with advice and a steep learning curve there's nothing wrong with it!

please do NOT just go to a pound and get a "mature dog" . Lord knows what problems/illnesses etc you will be bringing home.

Taking aside the dog-inexperience: what's wrong with taking a mature dog home from the pound?! Your comment about bringing home potential 'problems/illnesses' makes it sound like you should avoid pounds all together! :( Plenty of amazing, wonderful (and healthy!) mature dogs that need homes in pounds, so with advice and a steep learning curve there's nothing wrong with it!

Re-read what was said: please do not JUST go to the pound & get a mature dog. Going from other posts by persephone there was a definite suggestion of doing as much homework as possible AND needed to ensure ownership of a worthwhile companion.

It is exactly as you added with advice, and learning correctly, a mature dog from a pound could work.

But it is crucial for due diligence to be carried out prior to taking ownership. That I feel was the point.

Yeh that is oddly written. Pound dogs are a great option for the right home.

But I'm in agreement re logan not just trotting down to the pound and choosing a dog based on looks and age. There's more to life for a dog than just waiting around on the deck for you to get home.

Edited by Powerlegs

Logan sounds a lot like a troll.

Yes.

:winner:

Or it may be a would be first time dog owner who wants to spend a lot of time with their dog that would be alone part of the day and was asking for advise.

However they may look elsewhere for advise after being called names.....

I had a neighbour with 2 Weimaraners in a tiny unit.He was very committed to his dogs and made it work.

Yes.

:winner:

Or it may be a would be first time dog owner who wants to spend a lot of time with their dog that would be alone part of the day and was asking for advise.

However they may look elsewhere for advise after being called names.....

I had a neighbour with 2 Weimaraners in a tiny unit.He was very committed to his dogs and made it work.

Note that people have said....'sounds like'. They haven't said 'is'. The anonymity of the Net makes actual identification impossible.

Having said that, I stick to my original assessment about the signs of cognitive 'youth'. And stuff.... please, please, please.

So my opinion stays the same. Note.... 'opinion'. You're entitled to yours & to stay with the giving of advice.

Edited by mita

I think the answer to that is that a novice dog owner may not have the knowledge to choose wisely. I'd always recommend such owners go to a reputable rescue to find the right dog. They get the benefit of someone who's in a position to far more about the dogs than a pound ever could.

I live in a house with a tiny yard, pretty much a decked courtyard but it does have a bathroom size bit of grass. I have a 6 month old large/giant breed puppy who does fine with this and has done since we got her. She uses the grass to toilet and that's about it, she spends most of her time on the deck, laying the sun, chewing toys/treat balls/bones etc. Even though she doesn't toilet on the deck it does need regular hosing otherwise it gets smelly. In saying that a lot more effort has to go into exercise and mental stimulation, if I leave her out with nothing to do I will come home to a wrecked backyard and I can't blame her, it would be incredibly boring. She has to go for a walk everyday or go to a park/beach. If I decide I can't be screwed taking her out it's not like I can just chuck the ball around the yard or something and her behavior gets pretty bad when she's been cooped up all day. At the same time exercise isn't the be all and end all for satisfying a dog, nothing tires Didi out more than a 45 minute obedience class or a day of swimming and playing with other dogs. What I'm saying is it is possible that you could own a larger dog in your living situation and you both get along fine, it's just a matter of you being willing to put the right amount of work in and realise it's a bigger commitment and will take more thinking through logistics wise.

Are you likely to move soon or are you staying where you are for a while?

I don't think you should rule out a rescue dog, if a dog has been in a foster home then they will know what the dog is like and what you can realistically expect of it (although obviously health will be dubious as you don't know the parentage) and you may be able to find your match and if worse comes to worse it doesn't work out, most rescue groups have a trial period and will be more than happy to take the dog back. If you are wanting a running partner I wouldn't bother with a puppy as it will not only be a lot more work for you initially, you won't be able to run with the dog until it's about 18 months old(depending on breed of course).

Whatever you do, don't rush the decision, there is another living being's wealth fare to consider which ultimately is more important than you having a running buddy.

Edited by Terri S.

Very well said Terri :)

I think it would be very helpful for suggestions if the OP could provide more details of their daily routine and their plans for exercise/mental stimulation and time spent with a dog, as well as what kind of things they really do not want to be living with.

For an experienced person , nothing :) For an inexperienced person ..lots can go wrong - we have had them here on D O L ..meet & greet a lovely dog ..then said dog jumps a fence- digs out - gets very stressed ... a minority, probably - however folks who lack the know how can often find it hard going ....especially an impulse buy :(