Natural Tick Prevention

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that there is certainly an unhealthy amount of dumb and outwardly obtuse responses in some threads.

What an arrogant comment :mad

I was being facetious due to the fact that an interesting thread is causing such outrage.

Healthy discussion and debate is great, and I apologise for my frustration over the concern about some of the information presented. Natural therapies is very much a science and adheres to the same scientific principles as mainstream science through chemical analysis, experimental design & analysis. More often than not, there are ways of presenting information that can be misleading. The arguments being presented here and not backed up by any raw data (proof). They are heresay based on simply reading abstracts from full studies. The fact is essential oils are dangerous if used over 1% on a dog and there is extensive scientific data to back this up which is why these regulations are in place, especially with the rise of more natural products. I know I really appreciate when a veterinarian involves themselves in discussions on this forum and thought perhaps in the same way I could help other pet owners formulate natural products at home. I will now bow out of this discussion and try to keep scientific related discussions to scientific forums.

After receiving a bunch of messages from members of this forum, will continue to discuss these topics. Thanks.

Healthy discussion and debate is great, and I apologise for my frustration over the concern about some of the information presented. Natural therapies is very much a science and adheres to the same scientific principles as mainstream science through chemical analysis, experimental design & analysis. More often than not, there are ways of presenting information that can be misleading. The arguments being presented here and not backed up by any raw data (proof). They are heresay based on simply reading abstracts from full studies. The fact is essential oils are dangerous if used over 1% on a dog and there is extensive scientific data to back this up which is why these regulations are in place, especially with the rise of more natural products. I know I really appreciate when a veterinarian involves themselves in discussions on this forum and thought perhaps in the same way I could help other pet owners formulate natural products at home. I will now bow out of this discussion and try to keep scientific related discussions to scientific forums.

After receiving a bunch of messages from members of this forum, will continue to discuss these topics. Thanks.

Great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I can see which would be a problem with the oil is if your dog lives in a high paralysis tick area and also an area where they go swimming very often (i.e everyday) it would be problematic to know that your dog is covered by the oil all the time because I would assume that the oil isn't water fast.

I live in such an area and I wouldn't be trusting my dog's life to an oil infusion without some pretty strong back up from peer reviewed papers. It is enough for me that from working in a vet clinic and seeing dogs come in with life threatening tick paralysis related problems and knowing the owners use the available products (advantix etc) and also where checking for ticks that makes me think otherwise.

--Lhok

Sorry not specific to ticks, but look what I stumbled upon :eek:

http://www.mozi-q.com/

Obviously American, but has anyone heard of this before or used it..... I know we have a few US residents on DOL?

That sounds like it would be perfect for me!

The mozzies by pass the dogs and latch right onto me...

It does seem like an interesting idea and would love to give it a try.

subscribing to this thread as I really dislike chemical spot ons and it causes one dog to pant for two night following application, looking for a safer alternative but we live in a high paralysis tick area :(

Have you tried a different one? Sometimes one may cause a reaction whereas another might not.

I find the information about the hazards of essential oils on the dogs skin interesting. I have a tea tree oil shampoo here that I think I will dispose of.

Sorry not specific to ticks, but look what I stumbled upon :eek:

http://www.mozi-q.com/

Obviously American, but has anyone heard of this before or used it..... I know we have a few US residents on DOL?

That sounds like it would be perfect for me!

The mozzies by pass the dogs and latch right onto me...

It does seem like an interesting idea and would love to give it a try.

Actually, it's Canadian. I don't know anyone who uses it and given the reviews by the skeptics community, I wouldn't bother.

However, there are three positive reviews on Amazon . . . one claiming it does wonders for preventing spider bites.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozi-q-All-natural-Homeopathic-Repellent-Tablets/product-reviews/B00IZGPJFM/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

One thing I can see which would be a problem with the oil is if your dog lives in a high paralysis tick area and also an area where they go swimming very often (i.e everyday) it would be problematic to know that your dog is covered by the oil all the time because I would assume that the oil isn't water fast.

I live in such an area and I wouldn't be trusting my dog's life to an oil infusion without some pretty strong back up from peer reviewed papers. It is enough for me that from working in a vet clinic and seeing dogs come in with life threatening tick paralysis related problems and knowing the owners use the available products (advantix etc) and also where checking for ticks that makes me think otherwise.

--Lhok

there are studies which prove that Rose geranium oil is a tick repellent but its only been done on one type of tick .

The concept that anyone uses any type of tick prevention or kill product chemical or otherwise and doesnt check for ticks every day any way is way out of my comfort zone.

the best way to test is to pluck some of the ticks (different ones ) and drop on the different types of essential oil to see which one died first? :confused:

I read somewhere in a blog someone did just that.. testing on a few and somehow Palo Santo Essential Oil killed the tick within minutes and their ticks hate the scent.. Of course they use the higher grade essential oil..

then again that blog is US based... :)

Depends if you are testing for how well they kill or how well they repel. And a spot of undiluted essential oil wont give you the same results as a drop on a collar or diluted oils either.

Studies are in with great results for brown ticks and people who use it here say it works well with our ticks - if you are trying for a more natural alternative in my opinion its worth a try but no matter what you use you still need to check your animals every day if you live in tick country.