Visitors Terrified Of Dogs

trinabean

Great work in your understanding that not everybody is as dog crazy as many people

I agree. I think you were very thoughtful. I always lock my dogs out for visitors too. Not everyone likes dogs around them and I don't except others to love my dogs like I do. It makes for a much more relaxing time for everyone involved :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find dogs amazing and am constantly surprised by the way they know they need to turn their energy down and become gentle with those who need it most. Brandi us a bouncer who, in her enthusiasm to join humans on human furniture, has trampled various delicate parts if DHs anatomy under paw in her way through. Yet on therapy visits, asking her to join an elderly and fragile person with osteo and dementia, she knows instinctively where and how to get on the bed and how to lie so they can pet her and feel her body heat without bruising, breaking bones or tearing fragile skin. They know when someone is fighting their fear to pat them and interact and, I think, go to extra lengths to please.

Yay for Bruno!

That's like our big boy, he is just over 50kg and is a bouncer, loves to jump up and play rough etc but if we meet little dogs or older people he's very gentle and no jumping :)

Well done Bruno!

Ok, if the people that are coming are causing you so much worry that have to ask on DOL what to do, why not cancel the trip. :) Just saying.

I thought I'd seek ideas from dog-savvy people on Dol. I wouldn't say that I'm so worried that it warrants them cancelling their trip. That would be an over-reaction.

I like to plan ahead and look after my dog, and didn't realize it was such a dumb question. :shrug:

Thanks to all who offered ideas. The day was a roaring success.

I locked doors and made the backyard off-limits for some of the day. We supervised the kids playing in the front yard after lunch. And then I popped him in the laundry (put a baby-gate on it) for a little while too, and the kids had a bit of time playing in the backyard. He was quite happy in the laundry as he could see us. And I gave him a treat-filled Kong.

Whilst I didn't use the crate today, he was happy to spend short periods in there yesterday, so I may invest in one.

The 8 year old girl was nervous, but quite fascinated by Bruno. She asked if she could pat him, which is a huge step for her. I took her outside and showed her how to get him to sit, drop and stay. He is always very gentle in the way that he takes treats too, so that gave her a bit of confidence. He was so good, and calmer than normal (phew!) Our friends commented that he was one of the best-behaved dogs they'd met, - he's only done basic obedience though, so maybe they just haven't met many dogs! :laugh:

He's back inside now, snuggled on the favourite couch with me. Happy happy joy joy. :heart:

How good is that!

I'm so pleased that the day worked out so well for everyone :)