Visitors Terrified Of Dogs

trinabean

I can understand putting the dog in the bedroom for a couple of hours. We've all had to do that for some reason or another but putting the dog in the bedroom for the whole day is a bit much for the dog.

I disagree, my dogs are perfectly happy in my bedroom and would love to allowed on the bed 24/7.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand putting the dog in the bedroom for a couple of hours. We've all had to do that for some reason or another but putting the dog in the bedroom for the whole day is a bit much for the dog.

I disagree, my dogs are perfectly happy in my bedroom and would love to allowed on the bed 24/7.

Ah dear LOL. I don't know how you can say "I disagree" so categorically. Dogs just happen to be as different as people :D. I can't imagine my dogs being happy to be confined to one room for most of the day, particularly if they knew I was in the house. I might have a bit of a mess to clean up as well.

Really? My dogs would probably need to go outside to eliminate at some stage. They presently have the option of lying on my bed 24/7 but they choose to be wherever I am in the house or out in the yard.

It sounds like you have options & with understanding from both parties it will work & not be as bad as you think :) plus you sound responsible in knowing your breed is "out there " at times & not for everyone ,i too have the same type & apprepriate not all dog lovers like my dogs either

Yes, 'out there' describes him well. :laugh: You get where I'm coming from.

What a shame I didn't see this earlier, I have about 25 meters of pool fencing sitting in my shed I could have lent you to make a yard for sweet Bruno :) I've used it with star pickets and it is really sturdy!

I have used the bunnings compost panels to make a fence/yard for my two when workmen have been here, and they haven't got through it.....you've met Rhino and know if he wanted though something he wouldn't hesitate :laugh: but they have respect for fencing(though will jump on it to get pats/say hello, so again star pickets have kept it steady)

Hopefully he'll love his crate, and maybe you could have him on lead, when the kids are outside, for short periods to let him stretch his legs/have a pee?

Have a nice day, I'm sure it will all be fine :)

Thanks Raffiki, that was a kind thought. And if a fence is 'Rhino-proof' it should definitely be Bruno-proof. He doesn't try to get over or through fencing, or baby-gates. It's something to keep in mind then, if reinforced with star pickets or posts.

Totally understand Trinabean, nice as pie but sometimes just get too excited :laugh:

I know he doesn't want to eat anyone, but he's very strong of paw and tail and forgets himself when excited.

Yes, Bruno is the same. :laugh:

Ok, if the people that are coming are causing you so much worry that have to ask on DOL what to do, why not cancel the trip. :) Just saying.

I thought I'd seek ideas from dog-savvy people on Dol. I wouldn't say that I'm so worried that it warrants them cancelling their trip. That would be an over-reaction.

I like to plan ahead and look after my dog, and didn't realize it was such a dumb question. :shrug:

Thanks to all who offered ideas. The day was a roaring success.

I locked doors and made the backyard off-limits for some of the day. We supervised the kids playing in the front yard after lunch. And then I popped him in the laundry (put a baby-gate on it) for a little while too, and the kids had a bit of time playing in the backyard. He was quite happy in the laundry as he could see us. And I gave him a treat-filled Kong.

Whilst I didn't use the crate today, he was happy to spend short periods in there yesterday, so I may invest in one.

The 8 year old girl was nervous, but quite fascinated by Bruno. She asked if she could pat him, which is a huge step for her. I took her outside and showed her how to get him to sit, drop and stay. He is always very gentle in the way that he takes treats too, so that gave her a bit of confidence. He was so good, and calmer than normal (phew!) Our friends commented that he was one of the best-behaved dogs they'd met, - he's only done basic obedience though, so maybe they just haven't met many dogs! :laugh:

He's back inside now, snuggled on the favourite couch with me. Happy happy joy joy. :heart:

It sounds like you have options & with understanding from both parties it will work & not be as bad as you think :) plus you sound responsible in knowing your breed is "out there " at times & not for everyone ,i too have the same type & apprepriate not all dog lovers like my dogs either

Yes, 'out there' describes him well. :laugh: You get where I'm coming from.

What a shame I didn't see this earlier, I have about 25 meters of pool fencing sitting in my shed I could have lent you to make a yard for sweet Bruno :) I've used it with star pickets and it is really sturdy!

I have used the bunnings compost panels to make a fence/yard for my two when workmen have been here, and they haven't got through it.....you've met Rhino and know if he wanted though something he wouldn't hesitate :laugh: but they have respect for fencing(though will jump on it to get pats/say hello, so again star pickets have kept it steady)

Hopefully he'll love his crate, and maybe you could have him on lead, when the kids are outside, for short periods to let him stretch his legs/have a pee?

Have a nice day, I'm sure it will all be fine :)

Thanks Raffiki, that was a kind thought. And if a fence is 'Rhino-proof' it should definitely be Bruno-proof. He doesn't try to get over or through fencing, or baby-gates. It's something to keep in mind then, if reinforced with star pickets or posts.

Totally understand Trinabean, nice as pie but sometimes just get too excited :laugh:

I know he doesn't want to eat anyone, but he's very strong of paw and tail and forgets himself when excited.

Yes, Bruno is the same. :laugh:

Not going off topic, but if the timing was better, a boxer could be so helpful in helping people get over dog phobia.

Biased Boxer lover xxxxx

( such discussion for another thread too)

:thumbsup:

ETA: had not read the rest of the thread......

YAY for BRUNO :love: xxxx

Edited by VizslaMomma

Bruno the doggy ambassador!! :thumbsup:

Well Done to you, the little girl, and Bruno ! :hug::worship: That worked very well, by the sound of it .

Jeez, I must be getting old :o . I have little tearies reading about how the day worked out. I can just SEE the little girl so thrilled and puffed up about what a great dog trainer she is going to be :laugh: :laugh: I'd love to by a fly on the wall in that household over the next couple of days.

Trinabean and Bruno: take a bow !!

So glad you didn't listen to MY advice, but went with your instincts and recognised your own and Bruno's abilities. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

(Yes - I realise I'm probably too late to chime in here) but.... If your boy is happy enough to be locked in the back yard all day with a bone and a kong - do that. We used to lock the kids in when I lived at home with my parents. 100% failsafe way to ensure they didn't bug the 40 kilo dotty cross - or more specifically the grumpy old lady box terrier.

Well Done to you, the little girl, and Bruno ! :hug::worship: That worked very well, by the sound of it .

Jeez, I must be getting old :o . I have little tearies reading about how the day worked out. I can just SEE the little girl so thrilled and puffed up about what a great dog trainer she is going to be :laugh: :laugh: I'd love to by a fly on the wall in that household over the next couple of days.

So glad you didn't listen to MY advice, but went with your instincts and recognised your own and Bruno's abilities. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:laugh: :laugh:

What a great outcome, sounds like a lovely day! Great work Bruno :thumbsup:

Well done!

It's a juggle. We had a lovely BBQ planned once and everyone was great with dogs except one guest's partner who was paralysed. She tried so hard to relax but of course Stevie was worried that she was worried and kept trying to get close to stare at her lovingly. We put both dogs behind a fence but the princess did object, and it was a long afternoon :(

We also had trouble with Maggott because he was a bad fear biter so we'd crate him in our bedroom but when he was healthy he would protest very loudly! Then if anyone saw him or had seen a photo they wouldn't believe such a cute munchkin could be a problem (um yes, he'd go for your face!).

I find dogs amazing and am constantly surprised by the way they know they need to turn their energy down and become gentle with those who need it most. Brandi us a bouncer who, in her enthusiasm to join humans on human furniture, has trampled various delicate parts if DHs anatomy under paw in her way through. Yet on therapy visits, asking her to join an elderly and fragile person with osteo and dementia, she knows instinctively where and how to get on the bed and how to lie so they can pet her and feel her body heat without bruising, breaking bones or tearing fragile skin. They know when someone is fighting their fear to pat them and interact and, I think, go to extra lengths to please.

Yay for Bruno!

Trust me DDD, our abilities are limited, that was most of our obedience repertoire. I haven't been a good enough trainer to teach anything fancy. :laugh:

Brunes has a lovely Boxer temperament though and is confident, not fearful, that helps.

That little moment was a spontaneous thing, I hadn't anticipated that any of their kids would want to interact with Bruno at all. It was sweet and Bruno was so good, sitting and dropping before being asked. It's his default setting when he's keen on being awarded a treat. Kind of "I'm not sure what you want, but this usually wins a treat." And it did. :laugh:

Thanks all for your thoughts.

I'm proud of Bruno for doing so well at everything the little girl commanded him to do. And I'll credit his breeder for his sunny good temperament. It was a much better day than I had hoped for. :)

Well done!

It's a juggle. We had a lovely BBQ planned once and everyone was great with dogs except one guest's partner who was paralysed. She tried so hard to relax but of course Stevie was worried that she was worried and kept trying to get close to stare at her lovingly. We put both dogs behind a fence but the princess did object, and it was a long afternoon :(

We also had trouble with Maggott because he was a bad fear biter so we'd crate him in our bedroom but when he was healthy he would protest very loudly! Then if anyone saw him or had seen a photo they wouldn't believe such a cute munchkin could be a problem (um yes, he'd go for your face!).

Oh Stevie, staring lovingly works on most people. :laugh:

And yikes Maggott, not the face.:eek:

I find dogs amazing and am constantly surprised by the way they know they need to turn their energy down and become gentle with those who need it most. Brandi us a bouncer who, in her enthusiasm to join humans on human furniture, has trampled various delicate parts if DHs anatomy under paw in her way through. Yet on therapy visits, asking her to join an elderly and fragile person with osteo and dementia, she knows instinctively where and how to get on the bed and how to lie so they can pet her and feel her body heat without bruising, breaking bones or tearing fragile skin. They know when someone is fighting their fear to pat them and interact and, I think, go to extra lengths to please.

Yay for Bruno!

Yes, Bruno is bouncy normally. The trampling of delicate anatomy under paw happens here too. I wasn't sure that he knew how to tone down the bouncy enthusiasm. I'm glad he did. :)

The 8 year old girl was nervous, but quite fascinated by Bruno. She asked if she could pat him, which is a huge step for her. I took her outside and showed her how to get him to sit, drop and stay. He is always very gentle in the way that he takes treats too, so that gave her a bit of confidence. He was so good, and calmer than normal (phew!) Our friends commented that he was one of the best-behaved dogs they'd met, - he's only done basic obedience though, so maybe they just haven't met many dogs! :laugh:

He's back inside now, snuggled on the favourite couch with me. Happy happy joy joy. :heart:

Great work in your understanding that not everybody is as dog crazy as many people on this forum :thumbsup: I am very glad that everybody enjoyed the day and it makes me really happy to hear the 8 year old got the courage to pat Bruno. With parents so dog-phobic interacting with a well-trained dog is probably something she rarely has the opportunity to do. Imagine next time she meets a nice dog and is a little less afraid all because of you guys... and the time after that and so on :D