Visitors Terrified Of Dogs

trinabean

I've just found out we have friends visiting tomorrow for most of the day, instead of just dinner. They have 3 kids and they and their mum are scared of dogs. Two of the kids get quite terrified if they even spot a dog in public.

Bruno, our 30 kg Boxer is part of our family and normally has free access via a dog door. He is not crate-trained although he had a crate as his bed as a puppy. Whilst I can borrow a crate, I don't think I can adequately prepare him for being locked in it in one day. :o

These friends live hundreds of km's away and we don't see them often, so it isn't a problem I've faced often. Normally if they come for dinner, I put Bruno outside with a bone and a stuffed Kong. Because their little kids will want to play in and outside tomorrow, and I will be busy cooking and hosting, I need ideas on securing Bruno so that he, and the visitors, are comfortable. So far, my best idea is to block the dog door and just keep him in the yard when everyone is inside eating. And when the kids want to play, I can babygate the laundry and keep him in there. The laundry is small, but adjoins the kitchen so he will be able to see me, and has glass doors that overlook the yard, so he can see outside.

A lot of Doler's have mentioned the Bunnings compost panels. Is it feasible that I could construct a pen in the yard from them? Are they sturdy enough to contain a 30 kg dog?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the panels aren't tall enough for a 30kg dog. They are mainly good for puppies.

I would be saying the kids can't go outside. Do you have a local park? Perhaps you could take the kids there for a couple of hours if they get restless.

You can tell your friends that the backyard is off limits to their children and you can go to the park.

I think only complete separation is safe in these circumstances. I suggest you spend most of the day out of your home.

No the panels aren't tall enough for a 30kg dog. They are mainly good for puppies.

I would be saying the kids can't go outside. Do you have a local park? Perhaps you could take the kids there for a couple of hours if they get restless.

It sounds like a less than pleasant situation.. It is always hard when someone doesn't like dogs and you have dogs that live inside..

I agree with Jules, just don't let the kids outside and keep Bruno in the yard for the day (or if you have friends that could take him for the day)..

If Bruno has to stay out of his house for the day, the least they can do is stay in the house (or take the kids to a local park to run off steam)..

The risks are too huge. Your dog won't understand why kids and their mother are screaming their heads off.

I'd be boarding them at the local veterinary clinic, no matter what the cost.

No way would I be taking any chances that my dog could come of second best in anything that might happen. You won't have a moment's peace unless your dog is safe.

I would just lock the back door, and tell the kids the backyard is off limits. They might be put out, but the family chose to come somewhere that scares them, they have to compromise too.

I was seriously thinking it is such a shame that the water pipe burst and the lounge is flooded so ya'll have to go have a picnic wherever & Bruno can be safe in his own back yard.

I understand they have come from a distance.

There are two sides here:

The hosts with a beautiful dog & guests with phobias....

Cyberhugs to Bruno. I would come all the way from the East Coast to visit ANY boxer

:thumbsup:

:love:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Presumably these people know you have a dog and they've chosen to come and spend the day at your home.

I would not be altering Bruno's routine at all. If these people have a fear of dogs, in my opinion they can either get over or find a way to keep themselves in control.

Surely they must know Bruno is not going to eat them alive. They're coming into his home by choice so let 'em deal with it. I mean really, what do they expect you to do with Bruno for the duration of their visit?

Parents who impart their fear of dogs onto their children do their kids a disservice. My neighbour has two small boys (4yo and 6yo) who are terrified of my Cavaliers though they know the dogs won't bite them. If Mum comes to my door with the kids and accepts my invitation to come inside I pay no attention to the kids squealing and jumping around if the dogs happen to walk near them. My dogs are not much interested in the kids either after the initial greeting. I sure am not going to crate the dogs for their benefit. They chose to come inside my dog's home so they can suck it up.

Do you have friends family or neighbours who could take Bruno for the day.

No, everyone seems to be away or visiting family for Easter Sunday.

Yes, I can key-lock the security doors and block the dog door to make the backyard off-limits (and unable to be 'accidently' accessed). But it will be necessary to get out to a playground as our house is small. With my two kids, my husband, myself, and a faimily of five visiting, things will be cramped!

You can tell your friends that the backyard is off limits to their children and you can go to the park.

I think only complete separation is safe in these circumstances. I suggest you spend most of the day out of your home.

Yes, my initial suggestion was for a picnic at a park/playground. The mum was hesitant as their youngest has just had surgery and isn't supposed to go overboard on activity. Plus he's still on pain meds. We can make the backyard off-limits, eat at home then head out to a playground with the rest of the kids I suppose.

It sounds like a less than pleasant situation.. It is always hard when someone doesn't like dogs and you have dogs that live inside..

I agree with Jules, just don't let the kids outside and keep Bruno in the yard for the day (or if you have friends that could take him for the day)..

If Bruno has to stay out of his house for the day, the least they can do is stay in the house (or take the kids to a local park to run off steam)..

Yes, it's tricky. It's not a situation we are normally in. Bruno adores kids and has to know where mine are at all times.

He will be pulling the saddest Boxer face imaginable at all of the glass sliding doors while we are inside.

If people come here that don't like dogs it's their problem not mine.

I always oblige by putting the dog outside but that's as far it goes. :)

Well these visitors are travelling a long way and, as it is a rare occasion, I can't see a problem with trinabean acknowledging their fear.

As fot putting Bruno out in the yard and telling everyone it is off limits, I believe it is far too risky. I think one of the deaths reported recently arose from a situation like that :cry:

The risks are too huge. Your dog won't understand why kids and their mother are screaming their heads off.

I'd be boarding them at the local veterinary clinic, no matter what the cost.

No way would I be taking any chances that my dog could come of second best in anything that might happen. You won't have a moment's peace unless your dog is safe.

Bruno has had a lot of time at the vet's in his short life. I think being crated at the vet, away from us, would be more stressful for him than being secure and separated at home. :( Besides, I don't think they're open on Sundays, let alone Easter Sunday. But thanks for the ideas DDD.

If people come here that don't like dogs it's their problem not mine.

I always oblige by putting the dog outside but that's as far it goes. :)

Yes, outside is looking like the best option. I do wish I had crate-trained now though! It would have given me an option of keeping him inside and near us. He does get a bit stressed being banished to the backyard. He prefers to be in the midst of things, with people.

If it was my house they would just have to get over their fear.

Yeah same here. Or just say the kids cant go outside.

In my heart I feel the same way Canetoad. But these are old, dear friends. They can't help that they are afraid of dogs, anymore than I can help being terrified of heights.

And yes, it will probably come to that Aussie. As I said, not ideal. Bruno hates being separated from us. And it's a small house, especially with extra kids buzzing around. :o

I would just lock the back door, and tell the kids the backyard is off limits. They might be put out, but the family chose to come somewhere that scares them, they have to compromise too.

Yes. :)

I was seriously thinking it is such a same that the water pipe burst and the lounge is flooded so ya'll have to go have a picnic wherever & Bruno can be safe in his own back yard.

I understand they have come from a distance.

There are two sides here:

The hosts with a beautiful dog & guests with phobias....

Cyberhugs to Bruno. I would come all the way from the East Coast to visit ANY boxer

:thumbsup:

:love:

Oh, and he loves meeting new people VizslaMomma! If only you could dog-sit him. :D

Edited by trinabean