Dog Coats

whirlwind

As the weather is starting to get cooler I am thinking of buying a dog coat to keep my GSP warm. She is very active and into everything so it needs to be fairly robust.Does any one have any recommendations of brands that are good and that your dogs don't mind wearing. Any hints on how to get her used to it?

My Dally has a Hurtta coat - it's beautiful and so toasty warm. He also has a couple of custom made coats that were prizes. I think I has him in a Weatherbeeter as a youngster. He has always loved wearing coats and has never tried to rip them. He noses it to remind me he's cold if I forget to put it on him. My ESS has a Weatherbeeter but she runs HOT so only wears it after freezing cold water training. I know a few GSPs who shred every coat they're given....good luck!

My Dally has a Hurtta coat - it's beautiful and so toasty warm. He also has a couple of custom made coats that were prizes. I think I has him in a Weatherbeeter as a youngster. He has always loved wearing coats and has never tried to rip them. He noses it to remind me he's cold if I forget to put it on him. My ESS has a Weatherbeeter but she runs HOT so only wears it after freezing cold water training. I know a few GSPs who shred every coat they're given....good luck!

:thumbsup: That's brilliant!

I bought the Hurtta rain coat for my Husky (yes I know it is a bit weird LOL) My boy gets walked early every morning and evening and I can't see me being able to wimp out because of the rain :D It really is a quality bit of kit $45 + $12 shipping down from a rep of USD $70.

My reason for buying it is just so I can use it in heavy rain (the Husky coat is quite water repellant in light rain) and not have to go through a major drying episode every time it rains.

Another one to consider is the Non-stop dog wear - cover light. They make really top quality dog gear, there is an Aussie distributor that would be able to get one in if you wanted it. I have a their line harness, collars and running line, very high quality stuff.

http://www.non-stopdogwear.no/eng/Our-products/Active-equipment

To start them off, the strong ones like horse rugs with the straps that cross over under their belly are great, and very hard for the dog to get off. With my standard poodle I also stitched the front because he had a fascination with the velcro. After that he accepted it, but it did have some chewing damage early on.

So don't get your favourite jacket just yet. Best to learn on something simple, strong and durable. And very hard to remove.

Vet n pet direct have the coats I am thinking of. I just can't recall the brand name.

To start them off, the strong ones like horse rugs with the straps that cross over under their belly are great, and very hard for the dog to get off. With my standard poodle I also stitched the front because he had a fascination with the velcro. After that he accepted it, but it did have some chewing damage early on.

So don't get your favourite jacket just yet. Best to learn on something simple, strong and durable. And very hard to remove.

Vet n pet direct have the coats I am thinking of. I just can't recall the brand name.

Is it Thermomaster? I used this brand for my old dog and was really happy with the fit and quality.

As the weather is starting to get cooler I am thinking of buying a dog coat to keep my GSP warm. She is very active and into everything so it needs to be fairly robust.Does any one have any recommendations of brands that are good and that your dogs don't mind wearing. Any hints on how to get her used to it?

Weatherbeeta (sp) are good.

I let Herbie The Horrible (Vizsla) sniff his coat before making him wear it.

I rubbed it all over him & made coo-ing noises about how handsome he looks. ( true fact as he is soooooooooooooo handsome :rofl: )

First time I put it on & rewarded him with his bribes. ( tiny piece of chicken). I left it on for 10 minutes.

Removed it & repeated the exercise within 30 minutes. Did that for a couple of days.

He is now wearing the coat successfully.

The older dogs all had different ideas about 'coats'. Two would take them off during the night. The other wanted to wear a coat AND be in bed.

Yet all of the adult dogs could stand icy cold water if it meant swimming.

These are the only jackets my boy hasn't chewed the front off and I think it's cause it's got the built in neck and it's an Australian product.

www.lilcracka.com

That neck design is excellent.

Thanks for the share.

Another one for the list.

:thumbsup:

Some great reccomendations here, Hurtta and Lilcracka have gone to 'favourites'. Thank you.

We have a 14-week old Viz pup who is feeling the cold, particularly first thing in the morning. Any suggestions for pj's for her to sleep in? We have a weatherbeeta rug for her but I do worry about her wearing that in her crate and tabs on the rug catching.

Reynard

Some great reccomendations here, Hurtta and Lilcracka have gone to 'favourites'. Thank you.

We have a 14-week old Viz pup who is feeling the cold, particularly first thing in the morning. Any suggestions for pj's for her to sleep in? We have a weatherbeeta rug for her but I do worry about her wearing that in her crate and tabs on the rug catching.

Reynard

really with a pup that age I would just be putting an old windcheater on her, pulling it together around the waist. If you have very basic sewing skills you can make a coat from polar fleece, it doesn't need hemming. It will cost you a fortune if you buy proper made coats for the next 12 months or so.

Weatherbeetas from over this quarters. You would think dog jackets in sunny Townsville is a bit of a joke but man oh man the store I work at flies through them... first 'cold snap' night we get we'll sell fifty the next day!

Cold snap, yes, I hear you guys down south laughing... here, it might get down to... DUN DUN DAH... TWELVE DEGREES!

Wheatherbeeta or other horse brand rugs are great for larger dogs. You know the WBs are genuinely waterproof (when they say so) and rip proof (when they say so). Good quality products, proven over time. We always had one for our big dog when we was alive. That said - he only ever slept in it.

I'm now in the process of mulling things over - looking for a coat for Scottie the Foxie - needs to be light weight, waterproof and basically considered "active wear" so we doesn't pong to high hell after walking in the rain. We'll probably get a hurrta (spelling) - I think one of the site sponsors sells them at a good rate.

really with a pup that age I would just be putting an old windcheater on her, pulling it together around the waist. If you have very basic sewing skills you can make a coat from polar fleece, it doesn't need hemming. It will cost you a fortune if you buy proper made coats for the next 12 months or so.

Many thanks Rebanne, you have confirmed my thoughts. After a -1 morning this morning it's time for a visit to Spotlight.

Reynard