Vale Lulu... You Will Be Missed Old Girl

tdierikx

Such an influential member of Taronga's chimpanzee community, I'm sure her loss will be felt deeply by many. She was such a sweet old soul, I am so sad that she is gone. Thinking of Lulu's caregivers and her chimp family at this sad time. Rest peacefully Lulu sweetheart. xx

How old do they usually live in captivity T? I can't imagine caring for an animal (especially a primate) for all of your career then losing it. It would be like losing a family member.

RIP Lulu.

50-60 years old is quite common in captivity, but I don't think many pass 60. Taronga Zoo has had three ladies reach 60 in recent years, quite an achievement.

I actually rang my Mum and cried that Lulu had died... and poor Mum is like "who's Lulu?"... and I'm blubbering that Lulu is my fave Chimp... etc...

I'm sure my Mum thinks I'm a certified nutter when it comes to animals... but Chimps are not really "animals", are they?

My Taronga ritual was to go to the Chimps and see what Lulu was doing first up... it's going to be hard not seeing her out there any more...

T.

I've got quite a few photos of her that I can look at when I start missing her too much... thank dog I had the opportunity to get those.

I'm thinking of picking all my fave Lulu photos and printing them out for her keepers... I'm sure they'd all like a memento from a big Lulu fan.

T.

I actually rang my Mum and cried that Lulu had died... and poor Mum is like "who's Lulu?"... and I'm blubbering that Lulu is my fave Chimp... etc...

I'm sure my Mum thinks I'm a certified nutter when it comes to animals... but Chimps are not really "animals", are they?

My Taronga ritual was to go to the Chimps and see what Lulu was doing first up... it's going to be hard not seeing her out there any more...

T.

Lulu was so special. I used make a similar journey.

Always would think Lulu had a smile just for me.

Dear soul she was.

:rainbowbridge:

I've got quite a few photos of her that I can look at when I start missing her too much... thank dog I had the opportunity to get those.

I'm thinking of picking all my fave Lulu photos and printing them out for her keepers... I'm sure they'd all like a memento from a big Lulu fan.

T.

T, I think they would love that and what a gracious gesture on your part. It would let them know that all their hard work is appreciated by others, even if they aren't told that every day.

RIP Lulu

T.

T, I think they would love that and what a gracious gesture on your part. It would let them know that all their hard work is appreciated by others, even if they aren't told that every day.

RIP Lulu

That's a beautiful idea!