The Perfect Dog Run

Oh okay that must be a very large pig then!

Yep mesh over the top if required.

I would probably mesh the inside after removing some slats but do that with say 50 X 75 x 2mm(or more) mesh, then snake mesh around the outside. Snake mesh is very fine and could be chewed reasonably easily buy a puppy or dog.

Oh a shade sail is a great idea, actually we've just enclosed our back deck with shade cloth and have quite a few metres left over, so that could work

Piggy was a big boy, but moreso my OH like to build things BIG AND STRONG (read over the top :laugh: ) so the pen was a little overkill even for an almost 400kg pig!

Excellent ideas, Im jotting them down to make a To Do list :) :)

Several dogs I know would squeeze through/push off those boards so I would also suggest wire fencing of some sort.

I'm sure your new puppy will be the most perfect one ever put on earth, just like we all believe before they arrive....LOL.

Personally I prefer the openness of wire mesh but as this is what you have then I'm sure with a bit of tweaking it will suit the purpose well.

Those wooden slats worry me, if the dog tried to jump out and got one of his legs caught between those slats........ :o , I would like to see the inside of the fence covered in with wire.

Sorry, but I'm a worry wart !!

Tell the whole truth Rainy - one of your dogs would EAT the fence :laugh:

Hmmm that would be the one YOU sent me LoL

Snake mesh would be a good idea just be aware young puppie toes could get caught in it when jumping up to look out the gaps :)

All excellent suggestions...

Yes they are treated pine, so another tick for putting the mesh inside

Also my OH said the fencing isnt 7 foot (he reckons because Im so short I have a warped perception of height :o ) they are 6 foot

After this thread and some thinking we could always make another run somewhere on the property, our feeling was that it was just a lovely space and a shame to waste it

Back to the drawing board

Obviously you have considered any disease left behind by the pig. Some things like Cocci live in the soil for 5 years :(

Personally, I would not like to house my dogs/pup permantly in an enclosure which once housed pigs or poultry because any disease or parasites could well be still living in the soil which the pup is going to dig up & roll in.

Edited by sheena

Looks pretty good to me :) I agree with those who say remove a few slats and mesh it on the inside. Making it nice and shady will be good with a BM, though with a 'sun bed' etc it sounds good.

Cocci etc is something to consider, but if you have returfed it and it has been empty for a while that will help. Particularly if it has been able to dry out thoroughly. I have dogs in with and around poultry from the time they are pups. Many livestock guardians are around farm animals from an early age. I personally wouldnt be overly concerned if it had previously housed a pig if you had thoroughly refurbished and cleaned/disinfected it (and it sounds like you have). Though would be aware and watch for any signs in the young pup (and be sure to mention to the vet so that it can be appropriately treated - Albon/Baycox etc - as many antibiotics can be ineffective).

Edited by espinay2

easy solution, build a dog run elsewhere and find another piggy for the piggy house :)

Another piggy has crossed my mind :D

But sadly I just dont want to go there again

I have shown a few other people the pen, and all have said what a beautiful area it would be for a dog...with the modifications mentioned in this thread

Thank you all again

Edited by Melsmells