The Perfect Dog Run

Again, warning, newby posting :eek:

We are currently puppy shopping (have narrowed down breed, and I think breeder, so awaiting arrival of pups)

In the mean time we are putting the finishing touches onto what will now be our dog run

This area previously housed our pet pig (who we sadly lost on Boxing Day this year :( )

It is roughly 10m x 10m with 7 foot timber fences. Inside it contains a large kennel, with a verandah out the front

We have planted grass back in the yard (since George pretty much nuked the place) and are going to better insulate the kennel area (it is already raised off the ground and packed underneath with straw), carpet the floor with fake turf, and also carpet the verandah.

Inside the kennel we are going to put a variety of bedding depending on the season

The pen gets lots of shade and sun throughout the day.

We are also going to mesh the outside of the run to try and prevent snakes :eek: from entering, and pups from digging out

We are thinking of also putting in a sea shell type swimming pool (large breed, that can be a bit "iffy" in hot weather)

Are we missing anything?

What constitutes the perfect run?

Thank you

That sounds pretty good. When can I move in?

Um, you'll figure it out as you go, I'm thinking toys and other enrichment. Items in my yard (aside from basics youve listed above include a trampoline bed in the sun and something to bury things in and under (we have a large plantless planter box left by the last tenants - its a great place to hide bones.

I'm not sure about the timber fence that surrounds the run. Is the puppy/dog going to be able to see what is going on or only going to be able to see wooden fence when in the run and how much time is it going to spend in the run? Conversely, are you going to be able to see what the pup/dog is doing while in the run?

Airedale, yes visibility is quite good...

Perhaps a little limited when the pup is small, but at maturity there should be no visibility issues

This is the only photo I have of it at the moment (complete with George Piggy), it has now been grassed, repainted...

Do you think the sides pose an issue?

post-51789-0-32942100-1399337307_thumb.jpg

Sounds great however my 2 dogs would climb that fence in no time, if you want them to see you need vertical so they can't climb it or fully enclosed so they can't climb at all

Hmmm see in my head my new pup is going to be absolutely perfect and do no such thing as climb or chew :rofl:

Im wondering if my snake mesh will prevent some of that?

Hmm........might be back to the drawing board

Depends on breed, but a staffy would climb that in a second :laugh:

There is a lot of wood to chew on that fence aswell, perhaps put the mesh on the inside.

A clam shell full of sand to dig in?

If thatsa tree inside, hang something to play with from it, old tyre?

I would cross the climbing bridge if you get to it, I've had quite a few dogs over the years and none have ever been climbers. It's more common in some breeds but certainly not guaranteed to be an issue. If climbing becomes an issue I would simply mesh the top of it as a 'roof'

Is the dog going to sleep out there at night or come inside??? Is is just going to be used when you are not home etc. I agree with the climbing bit or even jumping over if it were a border collie :laugh: Did you mention the breed ?? :)

Looks great to me but yes what breed do you have?

For me if my dogs are going to be in while I ma not there I want a really tall fence or fully enclosed. My boarding kennels are fully enclosed, my dog yard as a 2 metre fence.

I would definitely go snake mesh. How tall is the existing fence?

If you need to make it higher, bolt tall treated timber posts to those you already have and use mesh to make it a tall fence. Having the timber low to the groud around the bottom will help to re-direct snakes around. Not fool proof but does help :)

We are getting a Bullmastiff

Hopefully not climbers

We will have him inside of a night, its purely when we are at work

The tree that was there, was also nuked by George the pig, so we are planting a new one in there shortly, deciduous so it allows lots of sun in during winter

We could certainly remove some of the slats, that wouldnt be a problem, and also probably configure the mesh inside (the posts are inside which is why the mesh was going on the outside (but Im sure my clever OH could overcome that problem :laugh: )

The sea shells were going to be one for water (for a good lay down on a hot summers day) and the other for sand

Dont think Id have water in there until pup was older though

Thank you for all your suggestions (lots of things I hadnt thought of!)