Recommending A Labrador Breeder Qld

commett

I'm hoping someone may be able to assist me. I am looking for a recommendations for a Labrador breeder in Queensland. My family and I (Husband and almost 2yo) live in Cairns, however I travel to Brisbane monthly so am happy to travel within a few hours of Brisbane for someone spectacular. I am after a chocolate lab puppy, male, must have excellent hip/elbow scores and come from parents who are PRA clear, as well as papers, obviously. I am also happy to wait to add to our family if the family member is yet to be born. Coming from Victoria and only having Dobermans previously I have no idea where to start, so any help or being able to be pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know who to "stay clear" of, unfortunately a friend didn't do their homework with another breed and they have been left shattered as their dog has allot of health problems. Thank you

Why not go to Dogzonline puppies for sale page.

Yep, have done. Just thought I would get some opinions of recommended breeders, as Dogzonline is where my friend Deb got her puppy from that has had a multitude of problems

You'll get a better answer if you specify what sort of Lab you want. Show? Assistance dog? Generalist family pet? Working retriever? Agility?

Thanks for the above, I am after a family pet with the possibility of agility training when he gets older

You'll get a better answer if you specify what sort of Lab you want. Show? Assistance dog? Generalist family pet? Working retriever? Agility?

Thanks for the above, I am after a family pet with the possibility of agility training when he gets older

Given that, you want to be looking at a breeder who breeds for a lighter frame of dog. While there are heavy set labs doing agility, the jury is still out on how good that is for their joints in the long term. Aussielover does agility with her Wintoppi girl, she is a nicely built lab for performance, tall, lightly framed and agile. Working lines would be ideal for the agility side of things, but maybe not for the family pet side of it, they can be pretty full on in the average home :) The right breeder would help with picking a suitable pup though.

Although mindys registered name is wintoppi she is actually from a breeder in kingaroy with the prefix devilsnest. I'm not sure if they are even breeding anymore. She was part of a litter that went to guide dogs.

I'd be looking for a breeder that has a history of producing assistance or guide dogs or performance dogs. They often favor a smaller frame dog with a good temperament which is the most important thing. And of course the dogs have to be very healthy.

Lablover on dol breeds working line retrieving Labradors and may be able to give you an idea on whether a working lab would be suitabe for your situation .

Yep, have done. Just thought I would get some opinions of recommended breeders, as Dogzonline is where my friend Deb got her puppy from that has had a multitude of problems

Oh Wow! No, she didn't get the puppy from Dogzonline but from a breeder who is listed as an independent breeder on the puppy pages of Dogzonline. If your friend's dog has problems she should take it up with the breeder.

Oh Wow! No, she didn't get the puppy from Dogzonline but from a breeder who is listed as an independent breeder on the puppy pages of Dogzonline. If your friend's dog has problems she should take it up with the breeder.

There are some dubious Lab breeders selling pups on DOL. It makes me cringe when I see labs listed as "golden" rather than yellow, and I've noticed many Labs listed with no mention of hip, elbow, and eye testing.

Any breeder may have occasional pups with lots of problems. Genetics is a lottery. But if you learn what questions to ask, you can reduce the risk of getting a 'lemon'. I would guess that there are many small breeders in QLD who raise Labs primarily for pets, but also for a bit of outdoors sport of some sort. Perhaps hunting. Perhaps companions for running or horseback riding, or whatever. Some people who have an occasional litter but aren't really Breeders (with a capital B) are a great source of pups.

You can reduce our risk of getting a lemon by asking about testing, asking questions about things for which there are not good tests such as skin problems, cancer, and epilepsy, The more you sense that the breeder knows the lines behind the litter and is able to say there are no known problems in sire, dam, grandsire, grandam, siblings, half siblings, etc., the more confident you can feel that your odds are good. Temperament has a strong hereditary component so make sure they can describe the sire and dam's temperaments in detail. Also look for someone who can screen pups for temperament. If the breeder says they never have problems, either they are dishonest, or pretty new at the game and haven't had problems yet..

Ah, but there are all types of breeders and you must learn to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I would do my homework and speak to a breeder that health tests and has/is producing top dogs in their field, ie = Show quality producing champions for the show ring or a breeder that produces quality obedience dogs that are also titled or a breeder of agility dogs that are also titled. Go to dog shows and speak to the breeders their and they will also give you guidance. :)

Although mindys registered name is wintoppi she is actually from a breeder in kingaroy with the prefix devilsnest. I'm not sure if they are even breeding anymore. She was part of a litter that went to guide dogs.

I'd be looking for a breeder that has a history of producing assistance or guide dogs or performance dogs. They often favor a smaller frame dog with a good temperament which is the most important thing. And of course the dogs have to be very healthy.

Lablover on dol breeds working line retrieving Labradors and may be able to give you an idea on whether a working lab would be suitabe for your situation .

This is so off topic (sorry guys,) but you weren't doing agility at wagga a few weekends ago were you? I was helping out and I remember seeing a black Lab named Mindy doing agility.

There is no way I would buy from the DOL puppy pages without a personal recommendation. Word of mouth is the best way to do it.

There is no way I would buy from the DOL puppy pages without a personal recommendation. Word of mouth is the best way to do it.

A personal recommendation isn't much good unless it comes from a known ethical breeder or a person whom may have purchased and is more than happy with that breeders service. I would personally still be wary of breeders that only breed for profit. I only recommend breeders that I personally know and will never knowingly do you any harm with the dog that is sold.

A personal recommendation isn't much good unless it comes from a known ethical breeder or a person whom may have purchased and is more than happy with that breeders service. I would personally still be wary of breeders that only breed for profit. I only recommend breeders that I personally know and will never knowingly do you any harm with the dog that is sold.

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately the only/main criteria to advertise on the DOL puppy page is a current ANKC recognised prefix. It does not stop potentially unethical/high volume "registered" breeders from advertising. Ethics and morals are a whole different kettle of fish. There are many in my breed who have consistent ads up for puppies/multiple upcoming litters 24/7/365 days a year, with it constantly updating for what they have this month. I am sure other breeds have similar breeders. A regular look at the puppy pages over a period of time can easily identify those who such breeders are and what their target audience is.

Always pay to do your research

Edited by Mystiqview

[quote name=commett' timestamp='1399886969'

post='6481466]

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately the only/main criteria to advertise on the DOL puppy page is a current ANKC recognised prefix. It does not stop potentially unethical/high volume "registered" breeders from advertising. Ethics and morals are a whole different kettle of fish. There are many in my breed who have consistent ads up for puppies/multiple upcoming litters 24/7/365 days a year, with it constantly updating for what they have this month. I am sure other breeds have similar breeders. A regular look at the puppy pages over a period of time can easily identify those who such breeders are and what their target audience is.

Always pay to do your research

That's exactly why I posted here. I knew I wouldn't be judged for wanting the best I could possibly get, and thought the best place to ask would be where everybody knows everything that's going on in the dog world

At last somebody that asked before they got a dog and not after they purchased it and found out that they had done the wrong thing. We do see it happen quite often here and many times there is little we can do help. We also have the smart ones that ask first. :thumbsup: