How Long Did It Take For You To Be Ready For Another Dog?

ro11

I swore I would not get another one for at least a year or more after I lost Lakota. Problem with having dog people on your fb though is you are all those cute faces constantly. A friend had a litter and one spunky boy caught my attention. I found myself looking forward to seeing his little updates. Next thing I know he was offered to me and I had agreed :laugh: I have never regretted it. I still miss Lakota terribly but Jerry Lee makes me smile and gives me comfort.

Edited by Akayla

I would add - I do miss Guin terribly but I find myself so besotted with Scottie that he makes it OK - I don;t get teary over her anymore - usually laugh when I catch Scottie doing something she would have never done (Scottie thinks he's a dog, she knew she was a people - and therefore rarely did "doggy things" - like fetch or get wet feet out get out of bed.... ever)

We lost my husband on 2/10/2011, then our 14 year old stafford on 25/10/2011..

I picked Ziggy up from the local pound on 1/11/2011..

Everyone said I was crazy but I simply couldn't stand the house so quiet and so still..

Zig was 6 months old when we found each other - we saved each other..

It all just happened.

Everyone is different, I knew I needed another dog.

My longest was my last 2 I lost both to cancer nearly 1 year to the day apart from one another. I got a Male RR 5 months after my girl passed on then I got a female GSD 12 months after the RR. What I tend to do is change breeds to stay faithful its weird I know but when my GSD girl goes I will not get another GSD female next dog same with the RR male. So what I might do is get a RR female and a GSD male. Weird I Know!!!!

Edited by Dave73

Everyone said I was crazy but I simply couldn't stand the house so quiet and so still..

It all just happened.

thats what got me too Staffyluv.

no one was there following me around ll the time, or on my bed, and it was just sad.

I dont regret getting Kokoda one bit.

I lost my boy Mistral 2 weeks before I had a litter due, I had to be ready.

It was actually a good thing for me, I took his death badly and having the litter take up so much of my time I was able to get over the loss of his passing.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Everyone deals with loss and grief in their own way.

The process is so completely different for everyone. I almost envy those who are able to get another dog immediately because that's not me. I did things a little different in that I was half heartedly searching for another Aussie pup before Poochie died because I wanted to prepare in advance. Instead I was fated to buy Zeus a pet shop dog but looking back, I wouldn't change my decision.

Poochie died April 2010 and Kirah didn't come along until a year later when I thought I was ready. Even after a year's wait, I still hadn't recovered from her loss and it wasn't until Kirah came home that I realised.

It's now 4 years after I lost Poochie and whilst I still miss her beyond words, I'm starting to really enjoy my time with Kirah and look past comparing her to Poochie.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog but you'll move on when the time is right!

It all just happened.

no one was there following me around ll the time, or on my bed, and it was just sad.

Ziggy was the best decision I made at that time in my life.

Sure he has given me a few challenges (training) but he is a superstar with the most amazing personality.

It's funny, when Ollie was here and 6 years of chemo, diet changes, palliative care, I never thought I could love a dog like I loved him.

But I can and I do - Zig isn't Ollie, he can't replace him.. But his personality as a big and beautiful as Ollie's was and I wouldn't give him up for anything..

It all just happened.

Ziggy was the best decision I made at that time in my life.

Sure he has given me a few challenges (training) but he is a superstar with the most amazing personality.

It's funny, when Ollie was here and 6 years of chemo, diet changes, palliative care, I never thought I could love a dog like I loved him.

But I can and I do - Zig isn't Ollie, he can't replace him.. But his personality as a big and beautiful as Ollie's was and I wouldn't give him up for anything..

Everything you say here is so true.

I lost my RidgyX in 2009 aged 16, he was my everything, he rode shotgun through the good times and the bad, he was my family. I really did lose the plot for a few months after I gave him his wings and I vowed I would never get another dog, not because I thought I would replace him but because I didn't think I could take my heart breaking again. Then a vet nurse from my vet did a story in our local paper 10 months later about greyhound adoption, I thought to myself greyhounds! coming from a racing family greyhounds were race dogs to me but the thought of fostering appealed to me as I was still telling myself I could never OWN another dog. I emailed her and several weeks later in walked Stan. I think I knew by the time he jumped into bed that night and put his velvet nose on my chest he was a keeper. I fostered quite a few greys after that until Miss Maddie entered our lives and my little family was complete again.

As Staffyluv said I never thought I could love another dog like my old boy but I also can and I do. Stan is so special in his own way, he helped me heal and is a shining light in my world. Well he's a bit dim really but I love the silly old fart :laugh: