Doggie Diapers?

Zereuloh

Are they a thing?

I'm currently dog-sitting my parents older (14 year old) corgi. However, I grew up with this dog when I was living at home, and I have more time than my parents do to devote to her, and she loves the company of my other dog and kids so my parents have said that if I want to I can have her permanently because she seems much happier when she is here. She used to be house trained - but obviously with age sometimes comes other issues, my Mum did warn me not to have her inside to often as she as trouble continence issues. We would prefer that she come in regularly and be with us all. She came in tonight and had 3 accidents in the space of an hour - but I figure that she probably also just getting use our routine and house etc. However, if is an ongoing issue is there doggie diapers that she can wear when she comes in of an evening? or another option so that I don't have to keep cleaning my carpet, and she can come in and enjoy family time with the rest of us?

Are we talking urinary incontinence?

Is it hormonal? A simple test and some medication could fix the issue. Otherwise, does she have a urinary tract infection?

Failing a fix , I'd crate her with appropriate bedding rather than force her to be in contact with her urine.

If she's been banished outside due to her incontinence, I'm not surprised she prefers your home.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

You can get sanitary pants and attach a pad inside, they are adhesive, people use these for when they have indoor bitches when they come into season so as to keep the house void of blood spots, I wonder if these would help your situation with this wonderful old lady. Big pet shops like Petbarn Petstock Pets on the park I am sure would stock the pants and pads.

I agree with a vet check first, some of the options to treat incontinence are very cheap and can make the world of difference. Is it a constant dribble or does she actually squat and piddle? If the latter then you could go some undies with a tail hole cut and a sanitary pad put in them to catch the worst but I'd only have them on her under supervision so that they can be removed quickly if wet and crated at other times as suggested.

Another here who agrees with a vet check for this oldie. There is medication available for incontinence.

I note you're in Vic. It's getting too cold to leave this old girl outside. It is very cold at night. She's a lucky girl that she can live with you where she's welcome inside the house. No wonder she's happier when she's with you.

Sigh... Yes I've got to know this subject well. First is a vet check to rule out easily treatable conditions. My Mac and Sarah both take Stilboestrel for urinary incontinence. But as they've both got older they seem to forget their toilet training (or else it's the dreadful carpet in the house-sit I'm in at the moment).

I've used pants for my girl with a Poise pad or similar and belly bands and a pad for the boys. Although Mac appears to be becoming faecally incontinent as well so he has started getting pants and a pad and a belly band or disposable baby pants with a hole cut out for his tail. All those solutions work pretty well.

Petstock stock pants in various sizes and you can buy belly bands online - or I've made my own easily.

Hope that helps.smile.gif

Been there done that with an old girl. I bought kids nappies to suit her weight, cut a cross for the tail (easier than a hole) and put them on back to front (tab closure on her back) and when she piddled or pooed it was all caught and nappy was replaced immediately. She was wearing them whenever she was inside for the last couple of months and had no nappy rash or other problems.

I had a bitch who had a spintca loosening with age. Basicly, it is the muscle that controls urine flow. There is from memory tablets you can get from the vet for this.

I agree- see a vet and see if it is an infection or something that may need treatment.

You can also use pull up nappies (for toddlers) cut a hole in the back for the tail. Otherwise there are various sanitary pants where you just slip in a super pad. Depends on how much urine they leak, these may not be suitable. There are other larger dog sanitary pads for incontinence. I have smaller ones I use to stop the blood dots in the house when a bitch is in season

I will get her to the vet next week. Thanks everyone :)

I wouldn't need to worry about cutting a tail hole as she is a pembroke corgi and she was born before docking was illegal so was docked as a pup.