Crate For Car Advice Required

Yonjuro

Hi all

I am hoping to get some advice on a crate for my husky to go in the back/ boot of my Landrover Freelander 2. (not as big as a normal 4WD)

I was thinking of a soft crate, he has a wire one at home.

The main thing is I just want simplicity, I don't want to lug out his home crate every time I want to take him for a quick outing. As it stands now he has a seatbelt and a mat but he yelps and whines for all of out trips.

He jumps into the boot with no hesitation and our trainer thinks a crate make settle him better.

One of the issues is that he is a pretty big boy at 24kg and takes a run up to jump into the boot, I would think the crate would need to sit in the car with the wide side facing the opening(back window) - basically so he can jump into the crate.

Most seem to have the door on the end.

I am going to try some adaptil spray and other training techniques, no chance of getting him to wear a thunder shirt LOL

Any advice on a crate would be great.

there are wire crates around with doors both in the side and front, not sure about the soft crates though. I have one with only the one door in the front. the front is sloped so that it fits in the car (Ford Territory) and my dogs have happily jumped into that if I let them. I prefer to lift them and put them into the crate though. It's really only a matter of which crate you want to buy.

Many thanks for all of the replies :)

...unfortunately I don't think the sloped one in a size big enough for my boy will fit longways into my car (I have only seen the Vebo one though) I will have to double check though. Are there any other makers in Oz that have sloped ones?

Also who makes or sells decent soft crates?

I agree with Airedaler, a wire front sloped crate might fit well smile.gif

Savic make those.

The Savic one in the wide format might fit the bill. Thanks for the heads-up.

So far I can only find one seller on ebay that sell them but not the wide. If anyone knows of any retailers please let me know.

Is he already crate trained? If not, it may pay to crate train him at home first so that he gets the idea the crate is a secure safe place before crating him in the car if he is demonstrating some sort of anxiety in the car. Just a thought.

Is he already crate trained? If not, it may pay to crate train him at home first so that he gets the idea the crate is a secure safe place before crating him in the car if he is demonstrating some sort of anxiety in the car. Just a thought.

he has a wire one at home, so i assume he is ok in a crate :)

I have a soft crate, and it has a door in the long side, so its possible to get one :)

A lot of people at agility have these:http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/

I have had an animates one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Animates-Dog-Collapsible-Soft-Crate-/301127354680)

and a bono fido one, http://d1y8akoq438vzy.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/1/119891_1_n_bono-fido-soft-kennel_2.jpg.

Both have lasted a long time, but i only have a small dog, and he doesnt try and escape the crate at all. So very little pressure is placed on either.

Yep, he is fully crate trained, he jumps into the car like he is looking forward to it but then gets really whiney once we get going :) He is never sick and he gets treats as we go but he is clearly trying to get close to me in the drivers seat.

he has a wire one at home, so i assume he is ok in a crate :) I have a soft crate, and it has a door in the long side, so its possible to get one :) A lot of people at agility have these:http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/I have had an animates one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Animates-Dog-Collapsible-Soft-Crate-/301127354680)and a bono fido one, http://d1y8akoq438vzy.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/1/119891_1_n_bono-fido-soft-kennel_2.jpg.Both have lasted a long time, but i only have a small dog, and he doesnt try and escape the crate at all. So very little pressure is placed on either.

Great, many thanks for those links, much appreciated.

I just bought a soft crate for the car and it has a door on the end and one on the side. I got it from Habenaro Hounds when they were at Hillsborough dog grounds

I'm sure they have a website as well

Edited by benshiva

I love my Bono Fido crate. Looked on site for cheapest a\d as buying 3 saved heaps.

But in the car i have wire. With one tied to the floor so that in case of an accident the crates are secure. The smaller crates are positioned so they can't move.

I know soft are lighter but in a crash? metal crates must be safer option.

All my crates open on two sides even the cheaper little ones.

I used a light bl@nket to cover the crate if i get barks @nd that pretty much stopped that.

Happy shopping.

The other option is a cargo barrier. They are a bit more permanent than a crate though (though they can be removed).If you get one though, get a wire mesh one not a perspex one. The perspex ones cut off too much airflow and are a dog slobber magnet.

Edited by espinay2

Thanks for all of the suggestion,

I think I am going to go with a soft crate for 3 reasons, first being to create more of a den to try and make him more comfortable, second I can use it when we go camping and third is that I hear the wire ones rattle a fair bit in the car and it would probably drive me bonkers.

I am looking at K9+ Royal, Animates and Bono Fido. I would probably choose k9+ but they are out of stock in the size I want until end of July :(

Edited by Yonjuro