Tell Me About Dog Treadmills?

Wondering whether anyone has one/uses one and can tell me what brand you have and what you think of it. I'm considering purchasing one down the track to help continue exercise and endurance training for my dogs during the dead of winter when it can sometimes be harder to get out due to bad weather and shorter days.

Thanks silentchild, I'll look it up :) I'm so busy at the moment and despite my best efforts I'm not sure how I'll go with fitting in life in general, my own emergency services training. keeping up the house, dog shows and trials, training that must be done outdoors plus endurance training especially in winter. Thinking if i can make one of those things able to be done while I fold washing that might be helpful :laugh:

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Don't expect to get one straight away! I was expecting to wait maybe 10 days for delivery, but there is a significant wait for both the ones I was interested in. :(

I looked at purchasing a suitably sized human treadmill but none are big enough unless I go full commercial, which is just too dear and risky with dust and dog hair. I've ordered a Fit Fur Life which will be mid-July delivery.

I have a human treadmill & it works really well for us. Have no issues with either of my guys using it. In fact as soon as I mention, "want to go on Milly" & it's a race to get on there.

I have to usually ask Stella to wait her turn cause they are both on there together LOL

We use the treadmill in winter if the weather is really bad usually.

When I brought it I just made sure the belt was 1300 or more long so they have enough length in the belt for them to get full length of stride . Width wise the belt should be 450 wide. I also got one with incline so you can gradually increase the incline if you want to.

Both my guys took to it really easy. I just had some high end treats & took it slowly. We started off with it turned off. Just let them look over it. Then turned it on slowly. Then got them to stand on it while switched off. Then got then to walk on going very slowly. We built the speed & time up gradually

I usually just do 5 mins turn about & they get 3 turns each. They are always supervised :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I have a Fit Fur Life Superior. Love it.

You do have to be careful using human treddies for dogs, but depending upon the breed they can be fine.

Some medium and all large breeds should have around/at least a 2 metre belt length and a clear front, otherwise, to the trained eye you will see restricted gait creep in which can negatively impact joints and muscles. Even if the dog can physically gait on the belt length, it's fear of over stepping the front or falling off the back is what makes them subconsciously shorten their stride hindering their reach and drive.

As an addition to swimming, herding and biking we use the FFL for specialty show, general and ET conditioning. It is so handy to have there for those days when the weather is just too inclement or if I am too time poor to get the required kms in that day.

We have the Dog Pacer treadmill and have our first shipment being prepared now for import into Oz.

We have had a few out being tested with clients as well as the one we have set up at K9 Pro HQ and they have been great. They fold up for easy storage too. The Fit Fur Life treadmills are great too but pricey and probably out of the budget for many people who don't want to risk buying a human treadmill and want something designed specifically for dogs.

Huski, do the Dog Pacer treadmills have incline and decline functions? I was led to believe only the Fit Fur Life ones have this feature. I would seriously consider a Dog Pacer one if it had it too, but their website doesn't mention it.

We have the Dog Pacer treadmill and have our first shipment being prepared now for import into Oz.

We have had a few out being tested with clients as well as the one we have set up at K9 Pro HQ and they have been great. They fold up for easy storage too. The Fit Fur Life treadmills are great too but pricey and probably out of the budget for many people who don't want to risk buying a human treadmill and want something designed specifically for dogs.

I'd be interested in one of these. What price are you looking at?

Huski, do the Dog Pacer treadmills have incline and decline functions? I was led to believe only the Fit Fur Life ones have this feature. I would seriously consider a Dog Pacer one if it had it too, but their website doesn't mention it.

Yes - they have an incline function that's manually adjustable :thumbsup:

I don't find I really change the incline often, however I do use the pre set fitness programs.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I'm not in a rush as it will be mainly used by our next dog and as he isn't even conceived yet and obviously will be restricted in the type and amount of exercise he can do while growing so it will be a while before it's in use as intended, but I did think I might just quietly start saving up. :p

Being a basset hound would they need the 2 metre belt length do you think, since there stride is quite short?

Given we don't have to worry about long fur, etc are there any other considerations if we were to look at a decent quality human one? (Ulterior motive that maybe I could train on it too LOL)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

For the amount of time my guys use ours I couldn't justify spending $$$ on a dog specific milly. I have shaped my 2 to stay exactly in the middle of the belt. They have no issues using it. They have a good variety of other exercise though.

Edited by BC Crazy

I'd be interested in one of these. What price are you looking at?

I need to wait until the first shipment is on it's way before I can be sure on the final price but they will be under $1000.

That's quite reasonable Huski, i was thinking more than that.

Most dog treadmills are priced a lot higher. The Dog Pacer range is good value for money without compromising quality. The cost to bring them in is pretty high but we are aiming to make them as affordable as possible.

Got mine from an Aussie seller for a very reasonable price. Similar in style to the Fitfurlife but a good deal less expensive. This one has incline and multiple preset programs (there are also bigger models/models with more features available but this one suits us fine). We've had it for about two months now and so far very happy with it.

1554484_10152406387414628_4120032532587812097_n.jpg?oh=f522484d4b12cb3a143f8eb175cac476&oe=541D5B47&__gda__=1411327511_ecd001a310f97952da13b17c49bbc857

Got mine from an Aussie seller for a very reasonable price. Similar in style to the Fitfurlife but a good deal less expensive. This one has incline and multiple preset programs (there are also bigger models/models with more features available but this one suits us fine). We've had it for about two months now and so far very happy with it.

1554484_10152406387414628_4120032532587812097_n.jpg?oh=f522484d4b12cb3a143f8eb175cac476&oe=541D5B47&__gda__=1411327511_ecd001a310f97952da13b17c49bbc857

What brand is this red fox?