Which Bones?

I'm not an expert by any means but we've always bought lamb shanks - I had a bit of a crush on the butcher and can still hear 17 year old me saying "just one lamb shank today please - split down the middle thank you"

.... transparent - but the story was the (and this is true) the foxie would eat the marrow, the rotty cross would take care of the rest...Scottie only really gets chicken necks and wings and the occasional bag of off cuts as he is a bit fussy and just a bit naughty and we often find anything larger then a neck hidden....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1403683154[/url]' post='6511347']
1403682909[/url]' post='6511346']

Where do you get roo tail and snapper heads and all those other yummy sounding things? :laugh:

My local butcher is lucky to have chicken necks, he will order in frames for me though.

(my local Coles/IGA stocks nothing in the way of dog bones, they usually have very expensive lamb shanks and that's it)

I get the snapper heads from the local fish monger, $3 per kg! Roo tails from Pet food supplier $5 for a bag.

Thanks for that, I'll ask around in my area. :)

Beef brisket, chicken frames and for the girls, chicken wings. The brisket is good because they eat the lot. Don't often feed lamb because it gives some of them the runs.

I buy from a butcher not a supermarket - they deliver in bulk to my OH's work and we just drive it home in a big esky from there. For the Canberrans, this is the place:

http://www.jordoschopshop.com/

Assume that other capital cities have similar services. It's cheaper than our local Woollies and the provenance of some of the supermarket "pet bones" can be a bit iffy - not so much with lamb and beef but with chicken. I'm talking frozen and imported from eastern Europe where some of their meat management practices can be a bit iffy. I also got annoyed with the stink of the Woollies frames when you open the bag. I know dogs digestive systems can handle most things but I don't want that smell in my kitchen.

Beef brisket, chicken frames and for the girls, chicken wings. The brisket is good because they eat the lot. Don't often feed lamb because it gives some of them the runs.

I buy from a butcher not a supermarket - they deliver in bulk to my OH's work and we just drive it home in a big esky from there. For the Canberrans, this is the place:

I buy from Jordos too ssm. They deliver to the door here, and give good service. Although as I have fewer dogs to cater for I find the market butchers good too.

Edited by Diva

I picked up some brisket bones today, Ronin is really enjoying crunching on it. I gave it frozen and he is about half way through and has been chewing for around 15mins, so this is a good result. Many thanks to those that mentioned these :thumbsup:

I am just feeding my cavalier puppy chicken necks and chicken wings.

I have previously fed my ridgeback x staffy lamb shanks, but that was before reading the threads on here so wont be doing that again. Atm I am giving him chicken wings and chicken necks which disappear very quickly lol Any other suggestions for him (he is 30kg, medium height dog)?

I have previously fed my ridgeback x staffy lamb shanks, but that was before reading the threads on here so wont be doing that again. Atm I am giving him chicken wings and chicken necks which disappear very quickly lol Any other suggestions for him (he is 30kg, medium height dog)?

The turkey wings take a bit more chewing. Available from Woolworths.

The turkey wings take a bit more chewing. Available from Woolworths.

Thanks JulesP, will try that for him :)

I've never heard of that, Hankdog. I do know I've never seen a bone from a chicken neck come out the other end. They strike me as fairly soft and are easy digested, at least by my goons.

Could still be an issue though? We've never come across it though.

Do you worry about the necks not being chewed? I've heard of the bones locking together in the stomach and that worries me but I don't want him to be missing out.

My boy has been on them every morning since 6 weeks old (2 weeks while still with the breeder) he is now 8 months, so that is roughly 390 chicken necks he has eaten thus far :laugh: no problems from either end - touch wood :D

Edited by Yonjuro

Do you worry about the necks not being chewed? I've heard of the bones locking together in the stomach and that worries me but I don't want him to be missing out.

I've never heard of that either, if chicken necks are swallowed whole, they are usually regurgitated for a second attempt at mastication :laugh:

I don't give my 19kg dog chicken necks because they're swallowed after one or two chomps. For me, the whole point of feeding bones is for the dog to chew and work at them.