New Dog Doesn't Like My Husband...

Beckie15

Hi Everyone,

My new dog, a 16mo Chihuahua, Poppy, has settled in really well. On the most part. She loves all of us (me & 2 daughters) except my husband. She's not too keen on him - growling at him when he comes home or when he comes downstairs in the morning... He is being super nice to her and she doesn't mind him patting her but she won't voluntarily go near him. She used to belong to my grandma, who had her from a pup, and was never mistreated by anyone. Quite the opposite!

Any ideas why she has taken a dislike to my husband? What can he do to win her over?

Thanks!

Bec

You said the Chihuahua belonged to your grandma? Question is whether she is she used to men?

Is your husband talking loud? Does he have a deep voice? That might be one of the problems....

Dear little Poppy may just need a bit more time to get used to your husband. She may never have had much socialization around men. I don't know. Don't force her to go near your hubby. And if hubby carries around some high end treats so if she does approach him she gets a yummy little treat plus a pat. She has got to go to him though of her own accord :) Glad to hear otherwise she is settling well :thumbsup:

You said the Chihuahua belonged to your grandma? Question is whether she is she used to men?

Is your husband talking loud? Does he have a deep voice? That might be one of the problems....

Yes! This happened to us when one of our cats came to live with us from a breeder. The breeder was very quiet around her cats and they definitely weren't used to men. Poor Lilly was horrified when she arrived in our busy household and wouldn't go near Mr TSD. I had Mr TSD walk very quietly around the house for a week and speak in a falsetto. Yes, seriously :laugh: It worked a treat! Lilly was soon all over him like a rash and he is her loyal servant to this day :)

OT - TSD your inbox is full :)

I agree with SAS, I would make sure your husband doesn't initiate any interaction with her. On the other hand, nothing stops you creating a positive association with him. Eg husband comes in the room, you treat treat treat - husband leaves, treats stop

I agree that your husband should just ignore her until she settles in - it may take some time. Your husband could slowly build trust by sitting quietly in a chair and holding a treat out down by his side without attempting eye contact. That way she will slowly become used to him without feeling challenged - I am sure she will come around.

I find that many of the dogs I breed show a distinct preference for either men or women that is with them from being tiny regardless of their upbringing. Having a working breed it is most interesting and noticeable when they come to working age and are looking to their favored sex all the time!

If she is very female orientated, all your husband can do is sit it out and in time she will accept his presence although she may never be super keen on him.

Agree with those who say hubby should ignore the dog - and if he is usually someone who crashes about the place and rants at the footy, he might want to tone it down for a bit.

Let the dog come to him, and when she does, he should respond gently and slowly and steadily. The dog will do better over the long term if she has developed the confidence to approach him, rather than feeling that she always has to deal with the fear of him approaching her.

When we got our rescue dog my husband had to speak in a very high voice because she'd cringe and cower every time he spoke to her. Took a long time of him talking like a lady til she came round!