Owner Exaggerations

raineth

All Irish Wolfhound owners know that even if you have a very large male, at Ag Shows there will inevitably be some bloke whose sister-in-law's uncle's neighbour had one that was bigger than that mate. He was up to here! *indicates somewhere around Clydesdale size* And yes, always over 100 kilos (our boy is around 75).

:laugh: Love it! Sounds like a story out of James Herriot.

I must say that I have often mentioned one of my cat's obsession with food and his intense affection - that he's more feral and over the top than any dog - the wonderful lady I board my kitties with nodded politely when I told her and said she had seen it all. I had an email within 24 hours of his first visit: "I was wrong." :laugh: My vet was also blown away when this cat's incredible aversiveness to needles was overcome with a liver treat immediately afterwards.

The worst dog exaggerations I hear are when the owners tell me "the dog knew it was the wrong thing to do...."

W're talking about Dizzy here right? :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of them is epileptic/half blind but that's not something I'd brag about, that's a "Oh god, I'm so sorry my dog just ran into you and then circled crazily away like a Special Ed. shark with you and your dog and that tree tangled up behind him, he's not quite right". Yeeeah, more a source of embarassment, really.

Yup, I have that as well, usually after Collie has taken a sharp turn into someone's shin... 'Um.. did I mention he's almost blind'

Most of our exaggerators are clearly trying to make up for something, my dogs are described exactly how they are which is usually along the line of 'they've got their issues but we love them anyway' :p

I say my pug is so intelligent she invented the hadron collider before it was even invented and someone stole the design. It's true. If she had a brain she would be the smartest person in the world. Unfortunately I think the hadron collider sucked out her grey matter. Her skull is a vacuum. There is nothing in there except a giant worm hole.

All Irish Wolfhound owners know that even if you have a very large male, at Ag Shows there will inevitably be some bloke whose sister-in-law's uncle's neighbour had one that was bigger than that mate. He was up to here! *indicates somewhere around Clydesdale size* And yes, always over 100 kilos (our boy is around 75).

I must say that I have often mentioned one of my cat's obsession with food and his intense affection - that he's more feral and over the top than any dog - the wonderful lady I board my kitties with nodded politely when I told her and said she had seen it all. I had an email within 24 hours of his first visit: "I was wrong." :laugh: My vet was also blown away when this cat's incredible aversiveness to needles was overcome with a liver treat immediately afterwards.

The worst dog exaggerations I hear are when the owners tell me "the dog knew it was the wrong thing to do...."

W're talking about Dizzy here right? :)

Yup :laugh:

I say my pug is so intelligent she invented the hadron collider before it was even invented and someone stole the design. It's true. If she had a brain she would be the smartest person in the world. Unfortunately I think the hadron collider sucked out her grey matter. Her skull is a vacuum. There is nothing in there except a giant worm hole.

:rofl:

It's like my/dads old dog rusty. She was as dumb as custard. It took me 6 months to teach her to sit and even then it could only be done after a 30 second delay for processing

It's like my/dads old dog rusty. She was as dumb as custard. It took me 6 months to teach her to sit and even then it could only be done after a 30 second delay for processing

:rofl: Pancake can sit. When she sits I scream 'Sit', and then say she is so amazing because she can obviously speak English. She needs the nobel prize and will probably blow up the world. Such a smart dog.

:rofl: Pancake can sit. When she sits I scream 'Sit', and then say she is so amazing because she can obviously speak English. She needs the nobel prize and will probably blow up the world. Such a smart dog.

I think she needs to be cast as a sidekick to the evil villain in the next Bond movie. I thought about auditioning Zig as a pup…

Zigfeld_zps03cd8a8b.jpg

People think I'm exaggerating when I tell them how smart Paige is particularly because she really has her own agenda and does nothing unless it fits in. But the day I watched her work out how to tip half a shell pool towards her so that the water caught in the lip ran towards her so she could get a drink without having to move from her comfy spot, I felt a bit of a chill up my spine. That kind of problem solving ability combined with her prey drive and speed, independence and drive to take over the world I find a bit scary.

But no one believes me because she refuses to master any basic obedience, only responds to me and DH and really is a cat in a greyhound costume.

People think I'm exaggerating when I tell them how smart Paige is particularly because she really has her own agenda and does nothing unless it fits in. But the day I watched her work out how to tip half a shell pool towards her so that the water caught in the lip ran towards her so she could get a drink without having to move from her comfy spot, I felt a bit of a chill up my spine. That kind of problem solving ability combined with her prey drive and speed, independence and drive to take over the world I find a bit scary.

But no one believes me because she refuses to master any basic obedience, only responds to me and DH and really is a cat in a greyhound costume.

If it's any consolation a vet I knew once told me that she'd NEVER own a Dalmatian. When I asked her why she replied: "I don't want to live with a dog that is smarter than I am" :laugh:

On that note people think I'm exaggerating when I try to explain that Zig was the biggest pain in the Spotted @r$e as a youngster. They just watch him compete and say "it's surprising there aren't more Dallies doing agility and obedience!" Actually it's not :laugh:

The force is young with this one. Jedi mind tricks rule.

My dad used to like to refer to our mongrel farm dog as a "Labrador"... just because his mum looked like one didn't make poor old Goose one though... pure mongrel he was... lol!

I refer to Pickles as a "camp dog" - basically because she IS a camp dog... born in an Aboriginal camp in the middle of the Northern Territory. People then still persist in asking what "breed" she is... and the general reply is "pick one, it's probably in there somewhere"... picking only 2 "breeds" to mix for her microchip was fun... NOT! I think we put ACDxWhippet - as that's what she actually most resembles.

T.

A guy I know who thinks of himself as macho told me years ago he had a 93 kg Rotty. The weight gets more exaggerated as time goes by.

He also has told me several times the Rotty had the biggest balls the vet had ever seen to this day.... the size of coconuts. He does the visuals with his hands when describing it.

It is really hard not to laugh as he is so proud and serious when he tells you-which he does often!

LOL. Younger cousin by marriage described his then new Rotti like that. Biggest set ever on any dog. Big, bold,brave , yadda ,yadda ,yadda.

I had occasion to house-sit for them in Lithgow in the middle of winter.

This you beauty Rotti was too scared to go outside in the rain during the night. :rofl:

I had to take an umbrella and keep him covered including his peanut sized balls when he needed to toilet.

:laugh: :laugh:

If it's any consolation a vet I knew once told me that she'd NEVER own a Dalmatian. When I asked her why she replied: "I don't want to live with a dog that is smarter than I am" :laugh:

On that note people think I'm exaggerating when I try to explain that Zig was the biggest pain in the Spotted @r$e as a youngster. They just watch him compete and say "it's surprising there aren't more Dallies doing agility and obedience!" Actually it's not :laugh:

See, one of the reasons I wanted greys was for that reason. Paige really blew all of that ut of the water. Fortunately I think she believes that I'm on her side. For now.

As for Jedi mind tricks, yeah. It's like the mice in The Hitch-hiker's Guide.....

A guy I know who thinks of himself as macho told me years ago he had a 93 kg Rotty. The weight gets more exaggerated as time goes by.

He also has told me several times the Rotty had the biggest balls the vet had ever seen to this day.... the size of coconuts. He does the visuals with his hands when describing it.

It is really hard not to laugh as he is so proud and serious when he tells you-which he does often!

LOL. Younger cousin by marriage described his then new Rotti like that. Biggest set ever on any dog. Big, bold,brave , yadda ,yadda ,yadda.

I had occasion to house-sit for them in Lithgow in the middle of winter.

This you beauty Rotti was too scared to go outside in the rain during the night. :rofl:

I had to take an umbrella and keep him covered including his peanut sized balls when he needed to toilet.

:laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Oh he sounds sweet.

The guy I know is obsessed with his old dog' s balls. He even said he wishes he had a photo he could show me!? :( um.. no thanks LOL

Hahaahaha! Sounds like our cat. He's the shark.

Mums Shih Tzu is much the same. We had a cattle dog x next door who was a good old yard ornament in our last house and one day it broke a paling off the fence and grabbed Petunia the dog.

She lost an eye, horrible experience. I picked her up from the vet and she was so bruised and broken and stitched up she was unrecognisable. The vet said 'now, she won't eat for a few days' I had to laugh, I said I bet she will. She has never missed a meal and he was adamant she wouldn't.

I got home and fed Hector the cat and she raced in, bucket and all and snaffled his dinner and then ate her own.

That's my girl! Haha.

The guy I know is obsessed with his old dog' s balls. He even said he wishes he had a photo he could show me!? :( um.. no thanks LOL

Bingo!!!!!

Said rotti developed an ingrown hair 'there'. Cousin wanted to send a photo for advice to treat the dog.

Yeah, the adivce is See the Vet. Let the Vet deal with this....

I admit, I often up Gem's weight in convo's with people because of the way people associate weight and height in their heads. people don't take structure into account, they go "my bulldog dogs is 60 lbs, so if your dog is 42lbs that means my dog is much bigger then yours" when my 42lbs dog is actually 3 times the size of their 60lbs dog lol. the average person would associate Gem's height with a 55-60lbs dog, so that what I tell people if they ask.

that said I have had people do that too, a Rottie at work, his owner brags that he is gonna grow up to be 180lbs..ya, ok lol