Tracker Dog

Airedaler

There is a lost dog in Melbourne, now missing since July 17th. Does anyone know of someone who may have a dog that could be used to try tracking this boy? He was lost from near the Koonyong Tennis Club. He was last seen on Friday 18th.

Years ago I did tracker dog training in the Perth area. I asked around about training dogs to find a missing dog. For reasons I don't understand, these questions were always brushed off. People seem to believe (but will offer no evidence) that tracking other dogs detracts from a dog's ability to track humans.

The trail is already too old for most dogs. Hope the missing dog turns up.

When Reggie's lead broke and she went missing in Kersbrook forest, I was wondering if a tracking trained dog would be helpful. Infact I was thinking of posting on here when I was in a panic and asking if anyone in adelaide who trains in tracking would be willing to help. I was lucky enough to find her after an hour so didn't need to.

I assumed you'd have to get them in the area preferably the same day? if not very soon? I don't know anything about tracking though.

Hope he turns up its the worst feeling :(

This would be a wonderful business opportunity for someone - I remember seeing an episode of Canadian Dragon's Den, where the business was tracker dogs to find missing pets. Sorry, I don't know of anyone in Australia who does it, but I would have used it in a heartbeat when our dog went missing.

I hope your dog comes home soon, it really is one of the most horrible situations.

Thanks for your replies. fortunately for me it is not my dog missing, I'm just trying to help out.

Sandgrubber, that is an interesting response from tracking people. I wounder why they think that. While the trail may be too old if he is on the move then would not there be a new trail. Only problem with this is that there has been no sighting that we know of since Friday.

Anyway I just thought it may be worth asking.

If sniffer dogs can track lost humans surely they can be trained to track dogs?

It would be very useful indeed and I know if my dog ever got lost (touch wood) I would definitely employ the services of a bloodhound or something to track her down.

Yes they could be trained to track dogs. However when you train them to track humans that is what you train them to track. They are trained to ignore other scents and smells from animals etc.

Just because a dog can track does not mean it will generalise and track whatever you put them on, they need to be trained to track that scent.

They can track older scent but obviously the fresher the better. Also some dogs track others are sent out to cast and search to find a scent rather than track from the known beginning of a scent track.

Edited by OSoSwift

In Perth tracking dogs have been used by people to help look for lost dogs ,the tracking people have always been helpful but also honest as to there ability in locating .

Around 2 years ago a dog was used to help find a GSP & the tracker dog certainly was able to give an idea of what area it had been in & was sited in those areas it gave hope & some idea ,the dog vanished from that area & was located elsewhere but it gave the owners hope it was still alive .

I do now of other cases where dogs have been sent out & given a go

I've got friends who are into tracking dog competitions. The scents are usually only a few hours old not days or weeks.

And they don't want their dogs to follow fresh kangaroo or rabbit or other critters or other dogs in the competition...

I know in the movies - you wave a sock or bit of bedding with the right scent on it and the dog is supposed to follow that - but in practice - it's a bit more difficult.

I think I could get my dog to track the chicken lady... tho it would be helpful if I had an old sock of hers to get my dog started... but usually all I need to do is say "where's Linda" and off she goes.

I don't think she'd have the same joy in tracking a scent of a dog she doesn't know.

I dont know if my bitch can track something that old unfortunately I have not tried her. Human or dog, if I give her a scent to find she targets for that but the issue is more 7 days of rain and crap weather.