Friend Wants A Small(ish) Dog To Adopt-> Update

My friend has nearly finished building her house and would like a dog for company. She is in her 70's, been a farmer most of her life and is very fit, her husband died 18 months back so she feels that a dog-friend would be just the thing.

Her daughter has a Tibbie so she would like a similar dog to that breed. A mature dog is her preference.

Do any Dolers know of any suitable dogs that I can pass on their details to my friend.

I can definitely say that the dog will get a most-excellent home.

Update: I have edited the title and added a good-news post (32) on Sept 5th

Edited by Boronia

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just rescued a little Tibby cross Silky who is adorable, she's about 10-11 yrs old and has had a terrible life - I will do a separate post about it.

I'm just in the process of housetraining her but she's been very clean so far and has also worked out the doggie door - quite amazing!

She's had a huge amount of vet work to get her into a ready to rehome state and will be ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Her name is "Cleo".

post-4751-0-83710600-1407490578_thumb.jpg

Wide Bay Animal Rescue in Qld has a beautiful tibbie called Rigby. He's affectionate but quiet and well behaved. He has the lovely tibbie smile! Listed on Petrerescue. Sorry I'm not sure how to do links.

Wide Bay Animal Rescue in Qld has a beautiful tibbie called Rigby. He's affectionate but quiet and well behaved. He has the lovely tibbie smile! Listed on Petrerescue. Sorry I'm not sure how to do links.

RIGBY

I have emailed Colleen with both Dogmad's and Gruflife's info (thank you both very much!), Colleen is away for the weekend with her daughter, son in law and their little black Tibbie, Magic. She will be back on Monday.

I will keep you all updated

may thanks :thumbsup:

Got your PM & replied, Boronia.

Wow, Rigby looks gorgeous. He also looks remarkably like my retired showgirl, Nina Zena (who was an Aus Ch). Interesting to know his background. The rescue group's description makes him sound like a real honey bear... & that's very much like my Nina Zena, too.

ADDED: I just phoned the number for Rigby. The rescue told me he's been adopted. Not surprising. He appears a fine example of a p/b tibbie, to me.

Dogmad, your Cleo has Tibbie eyes.... again those eyes are just like my Nina Zena's!

Edited by mita

I've just rescued a little Tibby cross Silky who is adorable, she's about 10-11 yrs old and has had a terrible life - I will do a separate post about it.

I'm just in the process of housetraining her but she's been very clean so far and has also worked out the doggie door - quite amazing!

She's had a huge amount of vet work to get her into a ready to rehome state and will be ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Her name is "Cleo".

I have not managed to catch up with my friend but tomorrow I will go round to her new place (not quite finished being built yet) to try to catch her. I will update as soon as I find out what she is wanting.

eta...woops, meant to add that hopefully she will want Cleo

Edited by Boronia

Her name is "Cleo".

I have not managed to catch up with my friend but tomorrow I will go round to her new place (not quite finished being built yet) to try to catch her. I will update as soon as I find out what she is wanting.

eta...woops, meant to add that hopefully she will want Cleo

She's proved to be a dear little girl, housetraining is going very well - she's very clean and she worked out the doggie door by herself. I was told she was never allowed in the house but perhaps she was at some point as she holds on for hours and only goes outside.

Her stitches will come out this weekend and i'll be able to start regular bathing, she's putting on a bit of weight so I'm happy with her progress!

This little bloke, Sonny, might be too young for what your friend is looking for...he's described as a 'lively' 2 yr old, Tibetan Spaniel X. I also suspect he'd love the company of another lively small dog, too, to play with. So may not be suitable..

His gorgeous looks are very close to a purebred (& maybe he is) . He's just come up for adoption from Friends of the Pound at Tweed Heads (just over the Qld border). Details on Pet Rescue, click on the pic to enlarge:

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/312241

ADDED: I checked further with the rescue & they said much what I'd thought:

Sonny would do best with a family or with another little dog I think - would suit active retirees who would give him adequate exercise.

Edited by mita

Thanks for all your suggestions. Colleen would really really really like a female Tibbie, her daughter's Tibbie has won her heart and she loves the breed.

I did try to encourage her to consider your Cleo Dogmad, but she has her heart set on a purebred Tibbie (bugger!)

I have emailed you Mita.

Hopefully all you fantastic rescue DOLers will continue looking.

Edited by Boronia

Go the boys! I agree with TT. It's really nice this lady has such a great experience with her daughter's tibbie. They are super dogs both boys and girls but if her heart's set on a girl, has she seen the mature dogs site on DOL? Not sure if they are still available but a NSW breeder is looking at re-homing 2 beautiful tibbie girls. I realise it's not rescue but they are too gorgeous for words!

Does it have to be female?

This boy is in Qld but can be sent interstate: http://www.petrescue...listings/303081

Thank you Tibbie_tabbie. Colleen is in Qld (as am I), she said she wants a female but I will send her the link anyway

Maybe, as an option, I can bully her into getting a male Rigby :D

I phoned Rigby's rescue days ago & they said he'd already been adopted. Maybe they haven't changed their ad yet... or the adoption didn't go thro'. I'll try again.

You're right, TT, some of the Tibbie boys can be real sweet honey bears.

Edited by mita

I phoned Wide Bay Animal Rescue again...& the rescuer confirmed that Rigby has been adopted. They have yet to mark his PetRescue ad accordingly.

I understand that Boronia's friend definitely wants a Tibetan Spaniel. But, just in general, the rescuer asked would there be interest in a PugX. Might've just come in, because I couldn't find it on PetRescue yet.

While looking, I found this adorable ChiX named Piccolo, who's with that rescue. He looks like a baby possum out of a children's story book:

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/311214

Meanwhile, the search for an older Tibbie girl (or maybe honey-bear boy?) goes on. :)

I phoned Wide Bay Animal Rescue again...& the rescuer confirmed that Rigby has been adopted. They have yet to mark his PetRescue ad accordingly.

I understand that Boronia's friend definitely wants a Tibetan Spaniel. But, just in general, the rescuer asked would there be interest in a PugX. Might've just come in, because I couldn't find it on PetRescue yet.

While looking, I found this adorable ChiX named Piccolo, who's with that rescue. He looks like a baby possum out of a children's story book:

http://www.petrescue...listings/311214

Meanwhile, the search for an older Tibbie girl (or maybe honey-bear boy?) goes on. :)

You are a 'Looking-for-a-Tibbie' star Mita! Colleen definitely wants an older/mature Tibbie so it looks like we will continue searching