Ideas For Floor Of Sleeping Area For Aged Boy

VizslaMomma

Tibor will will 15 years in October.

He is in the twilight times of a wonderful life.

He sleeps in the laundry which is by the HWS. It is the warmest room in the house.

There are no cords or anything dangerous for him.

Several times during the night I am 'called' because he has to toilet. He no longer can use the stairs to access the back yard.

If I miss the barking, he just goes in the corner ( away from his bed.)

His bedding is super thick. I feel he needs something more.

How would vetbed be for his comfort?

:(

Edited by VizslaMomma

If his bedding is on the floor I suggest you raise it. He'll be in the draft zone. The laundry tiles will also absorb any heat from the bedding.

A low tramp bed with some vet bed and a polar fleece blanket he can burrow into would be my suggestion.

Oh I see you want to absorb soiling?

Yep....overtired before so made a mish-mash of what I was trying to ask.

:)

Forget the memory foam then! Vet bed is absorbent and is easily washed so could certainly work. I'm wondering about a shallow tray like youd put under a car, with the vet bed in it.

Forget the memory foam then! Vet bed is absorbent and is easily washed so could certainly work. I'm wondering about a shallow tray like youd put under a car, with the vet bed in it.

Hmmm, he moves the bedding around a lot. Might be a problem. His sight is very poor.

I am thinking vetbed on the floor might be OK. I could get two pieces to interchange if needed.

pet pads

and the human kids version

I suggest a good bed ( or even a large carton with 3 sides ..so bedding stays put .A drop of vanilla on the entrance and a bit of training will let him know where to get in ... then perhaps put in one of the pads OVER vet bed/foam/whatever. they are amazingly absorbent ..and , in a bed with sides to cradle him, he may feel more secure and not shift bedding ?

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

pet pads

I suggest a good bed ( or even a large carton with 3 sides ..so bedding stays put .A drop of vanilla on the entrance and a bit of training will let him know where to get in ... then perhaps put in one of the pads OVER vet bed/foam/whatever. they are amazingly absorbent ..and , in a bed with sides to cradle him, he may feel more secure and not shift bedding ?

Liking this option ,persephone. I am just trying to keep the wee darling as comfortable as he deserves.

:thumbsup:

pet pads

Liking this option ,persephone. I am just trying to keep the wee darling as comfortable as he deserves.

:thumbsup:

Hope it helps the poor old man :) If sides are highish - he can't clamber out ..and then knows exactly what's what (in theory ;) )

VM I can vouch for the Conni pads - Perse put me onto them when Mac first started becoming unreliable overnight - and in my case a Conni mattress protector and the Conni pet pads have meant Mac hasn't been banished from my bed. I bought a set of assorted sizes and a set of medium I think from memory and use them anywhere he likes to go/lay down/ sleep - beds, chairs or if he has to spend time in the car on a trip. They are brilliant.

As to beds I have a hammock bed from Big W with a piece of vet bed on it ( the really thick grey one) and an Ikea blanket. If he has an accident on it while I'm at work it seeps through to the tiles below saving his skin. I bought 1.5 metres (I think!) and cut it up into three perfect size blankets. Wasn't cheap but totally worth it. In winter I also leave a snugglesafe heat pad in each bed when I go to work - it lasts 6-8 hours a day and helps old bones keep warm.

Hope that helps.smile.gif

• 5 weeks later...

In my experience (which is unfortunately a lot with our old guy) vetbed doesn't absorb liquids, it drains them out underneath. The top layer still feels relatively dry but if you lift it up, you'll have a puddle underneath (which then has to be mopped up before you can clean the floor). I'm not sure if you're having trouble with him wetting his bed or if he gets out of bed and wees on the floor. If it's the latter, some big, cheap towels or the pet pads might be a better option.

Edited by Maddy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the belated reply.

Would appear now it's incontinence in bed & wetting outside of it.

Considering he is one month short of 15 years, I will be adding just everything to keep him comfortable.

I so appreciate all suggestions.

To make ya'll smile, Tibor did a mini Vizsla zoomie the other day..... he managed to track down a wee piece of dried liver just by smell..

• 7 months later...

Oh good on him VM!! Mac can still sniff out blie cheese at 500 paces too!!

That incontinence pattern is common in the oldies in my experience VM. I have two incontinent dogs here - when Mac is inside he wears a belly band with a poise pad - the orange one - and he sleeps on my bed on a Conni pad and belly band. Sarah at 14 is sometimes continent overnight if she's deeply asleep and she gets distressed by it. It seems her bladder just lets go. So she wears pants with a poise pad on my bed and on the lounge and sleeps on a Conni pad too. They are on Stilboestrel as well. The other thing you can use if you need something disposable are those toddler 'Dry Nights' sleeping mats and/or deposable toddler pants with a hole cut out for the tail.

My old boy was starting to toilet in the night without waking me so I got him a belly band. And it's worked really well - it must remind him that he needs to wait, but he is a little younger than your boy at 13.5. I hope he gets to 15!