Help Please - Anxious Dog With No Off Switch

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a set back unfortunately - not Rocky's fault though! Our dogs have all come down with kennel cough which means no walks or romps at the park. :( I'm trying to do some training at home but he is really missing his walks. We still have a few more weeks before we cantake him out! Not going to be fun.

Have you tried the 101 things to do with a box. For Jake it was a great way to build confidence and get him to start offering behavior.

That sounds exciting and stimulating.

eta: battery died......

Karen Pyor is a genius.

:thumbsup:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Its a massive pain! Have to disinfect myself for work too lol.

I will look into the box thing, thank you. :)

Biggest problem with training is that I haven't found something that motivates/excites him yet. He isn't that into food and when I give him a treat he wants to take it away and nibble it lol.

For Jake giving him all food by hand has been a good idea. He had little people interaction and didn't seem to find humans relevant. All food coming from me made him notice me a bit more.

He didn't really seem to know how to be patted but now he loves a belly rub or tail scratch. I just added it in to his death roll. He doesn't need much food though and I buy the royal canin French bulldog kibble that is quite big and moist so he thinks that's a treat. I'm guessing a BC would eat a lot more so it might take ages to hand feed.

Edited by hankdog

It's quite a learning curve when you get a dog that hasn't had much human interaction, all those things you take for granted with regular dogs. If I spend time with my friends regular dogs I'm quite amazed at how different they are to Jake. Hopefully Rocky will pick up stuff from your other dogs and understand how to speak human.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree with Perse. Ace isn't great for the dog. Glad he's given you a more settled night since, though.

Training - use his drive/s to work and centre his mind. Be it tug (with rules) or something towards treibball, as well as some basic agility work.

Edited by Erny

Oh wow, terrific news Kirty :thumbsup: His barking may take time to overcome but he has come so very far & quickly considering where he has come from.

All thanks to you.

Swimming is a great confidence builder I have found. Look forward to hearing how he goes herding :)

Edited by BC Crazy