Help Please - Anxious Dog With No Off Switch

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it can take up to 3 weeks before fosters get the gist of what is going on. They pick up bits and pieces but it seems that the 3 week mark, is the point where they really start to relax and fit in (like they have been here all along)..

This poor lad, so glad he is in a better place now.

I agree with the thunder shirt, they really do work wonders.

Not sure if you do it or not but I find hand feeding new dogs that do seem unsettled works to get their attention..

I keep treats on me all the time with new ones around (Zig thinks it is great).. So offering them treats (or kibble mixed in with a few bits of bonus cheese), makes them settle near me because they want the food.

Because Zig is always sitting near me to get his share, they sit as well and I find this the perfect opportunity to teach sit, if they don't know it.

At least it gives us some focus time..

Good luck, I dare say he will be a challenge but it will definitely be worth it!

In the meantime before you get your hands on a thundershirt use one of your kids old small tshirts if you have one and tie it tightly at the back. I did that to a GR at work who has storm issues and she became calmer within about 5 minutes (pacing and panting decreased). It might help til you get a proper one.

You are making me super glad I have my little foster girl as I suspect her fate would have been the same as this boy had her owners not come to the realisation that BC's are not the easiest of dogs if you aren't prepared to put in the time.

Hey Kirty, if you need another slightly neurotic, go all day type, Rosie would be up for a play date? She's pretty good at the odd grumble at humpers, but will run and play for hours and is anyone's bestie. Let me know if you want to utilise her staying power! I'll bring a takeaway coffee...haha.

Haha thanks Steph M. I actually took him to a fenced area for a run today and he wasn't interested at all! My dogs were running around chasing the ball and he just wanted to sniff. So much for tiring him out!

Biggest issue now i barking. I can't have him outside at all because he just stands at the back door and barks his head off. He won't even go off the deck. I bring him in and he barks at the cats, barks if I leave the room, etc. However we have made some progress in that he is lying down on his mat in between barking hehe.

Lucky he is cute because otherwise I might strangle him lol.

Great news. Another quiet/drug free night. Well done :thumbsup:

Yes it's got to be that miracle drug... TLC working it's magic

I've just had the very same here. 2nd night drug free without incident but my girl isn't a rescue. One happy momma here too :D

Edited by BC Crazy

Guest Clover

Nothing surprises me anymore with the stupid things people do :(.

Good on you for taking him in and giving him a chance Kirty :thumbsup: .

I to would love to see photos? What is his name?

MASSIVE breakthrough today! I had to leave the dogs at home because one has kennel cough (dammit!!). I crated Rocky because I couldn't have him barking all day. Came home to him snoozing in the crate! :) But even better, I put him outside and he has spent the last 2 hours tearing around the backyard, playing with my dogs, and hasn't barked at all!! Woohoo!! He looks like he is getting tired, so I'll bring him back inside soon to reward him for being so awesome. :D

Another exciting first last night - he played tug!! He was checking out all the toys and picking them up, so I grabbed the end and started pulling and praising him in an excited voice. Took him a second but once he worked it out, he loved it! I swapped his toy for a rope and it was on! We played for about 5 mins. :) He also went for his first run last night with my OH. He loved it but was very spooky on his own. Might take another dog with him tonight to make him feel more confident. :)