Help Please - Anxious Dog With No Off Switch

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herding was great, he really loved it. I don't think he has the drive to do it competitively but it fun. He was knacked afterward, but by the time we got home he was ready to go again. I put him outside to make my lunch and he started barking within seconds. He just runs around the yard barking. I think its getting to the point that I need to consider a barking collar of some sort. We have neighbours and if they complain, we will be screwed. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So the bark collar had been working really well, but now he just doesn't seem to care. He just barks anyway. :( The smallest thing sets him off - a neighbour mowing, bird flying over, absolutely nothing... Trying my hardest with this dog but not sure where to go from here. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling very deflated at the moment. Rocky's behaviour has regressed completely again and he is barking like mad. He has also gone back to running the fence lines and jumping/snapping at invisible things. He now barks inside too. :( He has started humping the other dogs and nipping the kids as well. I just don't know what to try next.

Kirty, go back and re-read this whole thread; what he was like when he first arrived, the advice you got, the things you tried. Perhaps that can put some perspective on things for you right now.

I'll be honest, I thought he sounded like a very troubled dog right from the get go with so many issues that needed to be addressed before he would even have the opportunity to be considered adoptable. I wasn't sure it was even possible to change who he had become (bastard owners!) so was amazed at your achievements with him. But maybe, just maybe there is something unfixable about this boy? Maybe his wiring is a bit loose? I feel awful saying that. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it must be to see him regress. Hugs to you right now.

PM Nekhbet if you have a moment, she always seems to have fabulous advise with things.

Don't beat yourself up if he's just not able to rehab though, you have gone absolutely miles above and beyond for this guy. If you want a hand or some respite or anything yell out, we aren't far from you most weekends these days. He can always come for a wander with my idiots if you just need a break.

You poor thing, you have had such a crummy run!

I didn't make it to Nek as planned, got bogged down with wildlife stuff. But she has given me some ideas and I hope to see her soon. I am trying really hard to just take it one day at a time, go right back to basics, NILIF, etc. He is currently asleep at my feet after a nice long walk.

I didn't make it to Nek as planned, got bogged down with wildlife stuff. But she has given me some ideas and I hope to see her soon. I am trying really hard to just take it one day at a time, go right back to basics, NILIF, etc. He is currently asleep at my feet after a nice long walk.

dont forget, you might even have to do a half day at a time.

I'm thinking there's a big amount of rehabilitation needed for Rocky.

Hugs to you for caring so very much.

:hug: