At What Age Do We Stop Getting New Dogs?

Aleksandra 157

If you're anything like me, when you're 65 you'll decide the last pup should be at 75 :)

If you plan on getting a pup when you're 75yo you'd better have someone who is prepared to love and care for it because you may not be here at 85yo and if you are, how fit and capable will you be? Will you be able to take care of a dog and give it the exercise it needs? That pup will be 10yo when you're 85yo and it has a lot more living to do.

I knew when I got each of my Cavalier pups that they would be my last dogs. I was looking forward towards what condition I might be in, in ten years time. My dogs nine and ten years old respectively now and I have a painful spinal problem. I take pain medication to enable me to walk them. I won't be getting another dog at 75yo.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course young people can have accidents and become incapacitated or suffer health problems and are not physically capable of caring for a dog. This is tragic and fortunately it happens to very few of our young people.

FACT: Statistically people in their 70's and 80's are more likely to die than younger people.

FACT: The elderly are also far more likely to have health issues that limit their capabilities.

There's a lot of difference between individuals. Much of that difference is predictable.

I can't remember where I saw the numbers, but I'm pretty certain that those who make it to, say, 70 and are in good health, have a better chance of living another 25 years than those who make it to 50 and have a few chronic conditions/risk factors (heart, obesity, smoking, family dying young, etc.).

There are many detailed life expectancy calculators available that take account of your risk factors. I think these are a useful guideline, not only for figuring out whether or not to take on a puppy, but also for figuring out how long your life savings is going to have to last.

I played around with one of these tests https://www.livingto100.com/ and was surprised to realize I can expect to live to be 95 (I'm 65 now).

But if I had high blood pressure and smoked, or had a sister who died of breast cancer at 45, or had diabetes, the numbers would be a lot different.

SG I just did the test and I am going to live to 100 which is not unreasonable since going back five generations on my female line four ancestors lived to their nineties and the other one was killed in a car accident.

I see no reason why I shouldn't get another dog. I don't particularly want another pup though. I am in my early 70s.

Apparently I'll live till I'm 99. However, too much sport will result in arthritis and injury to ankles, knees, hips, back and shoulder. Also too many chemicals in the diet is likely to result in mental incapacitation as well. Physically, the old body may keep ticking on. Mentally, who knows? I hope I remain mentally there (and here) but realize the odds are smaller for that.

If you're anything like me, when you're 65 you'll decide the last pup should be at 75 :)

If you plan on getting a pup when you're 75yo you'd better have someone who is prepared to love and care for it because you may not be here at 85yo and if you are, how fit and capable will you be? Will you be able to take care of a dog and give it the exercise it needs? That pup will be 10yo when you're 85yo and it has a lot more living to do.

I knew when I got each of my Cavalier pups that they would be my last dogs. I was looking forward towards what condition I might be in, in ten years time. My dogs nine and ten years old respectively now and I have a painful spinal problem. I take pain medication to enable me to walk them. I won't be getting another dog at 75yo.

It is sad that you have a spinal condition and I think you are unfortunate.

I know lots of people in their seventies who are very healthy. I had coffee with a 74yo yesterday who still works full time. My older brother still works. He is a surgeon and I have a cousin who retired two years ago. She was a nurse and is now 78. That being said I also know a 74yo who is waiting for a hip replacement and I am going to walk her dog later today. However people do recover from hip replacements these days. I also know someone who died from cancer last week. She was 69 and very fit, a regular competitor at veteran athletics carnivals.

I have rescued several dogs over the years and I want to have a dog with me for as long as I can. I don't feel guilty if I were to leave one behind. I have spent so much of my life cleaning up the messes of others that while I will try not to leave a mess behind I hope no-one minds cleaning up after me. I do make sure my dogs are well cared for and have good manners though just in case.

The big problem as I see it is that we don't know when we are going to kark it. If I was to decide no dogs after 75 I might have 20 years without a dog and what a waste that would be. Not only for me but also for a dog. My next dog will probably be a rescue and I could give it an excellent home.

Apparently I'll live till I'm 99. However, too much sport will result in arthritis and injury to ankles, knees, hips, back and shoulder. Also too many chemicals in the diet is likely to result in mental incapacitation as well. Physically, the old body may keep ticking on. Mentally, who knows? I hope I remain mentally there (and here) but realize the odds are smaller for that.

I also expect good quality of life since there is no dementia in my family and I read and write every day and always try to learn new things. I love acquiring new skills. It can be quite simple. If you always put the key in your door with your right hand, just start doing it with your left. I do think it depends on the individual though. I am fortunate to have excellent genes.

I know lots of people in their seventies who are very healthy. I had coffee with a 74yo yesterday who still works full time. My older brother still works. He is a surgeon and I have a cousin who retired two years ago. She was a nurse and is now 78.

I have rescued several dogs over the years and I want to have a dog with me for as long as I can. I don't feel guilty if I were to leave one behind. I have spent so much of my life cleaning up the messes of others that while I will try not to leave a mess behind I hope no-one minds cleaning up after me. I do make sure my dogs are well cared for and have good manners though just in case.

The big problem as I see it is that we don't know when we are going to kark it. If I was to decide no dogs after 75 I might have 20 years without a dog and what a waste that would be. Not only for me but also for a dog. My next dog will probably be a rescue and I could give it an excellent home.

It is not about me, me, me, and I want this and I want that. It's about the dog. I would not want to take the risk of suddenly leaving a dog I have loved for years who has also become attached to me. I believe the dog would feel a sense of abandonment if I suddenly disappeared from its life. The dog wouldn't know I'd fallen off my perch, just that I'd left it. As we become attached to dogs, they too become attached to us and would certainly be distressed if suddenly, we weren't there. I would not want to risk my dog being kennelled while waiting to be rehomed, if they're fortunate enough to be rehomed.

Of course I would love to have a dog in my old age, I've never lived without a dog and can't even imagine the loss I'd feel without a dog but I won't have a dog when I am of an age where there's a good chance I won't be there for it. You don't feel guilty if you leave a dog behind. I don't share your thoughts although I can't fathom where guilt comes into it. In any case it's not what I feel or don't feel, it's about the dog.

When you say you've spent much of your life cleaning up after others do you mean taking on rescue dogs? I too have rescued Rotties for many years and lost my last rescue girl to cancer four years ago but taking on my rescues wasn't cleaning up after others. All my rescues were wonderful dogs and I loved having them in my life.

I haven't taken another rescue dog since my last Rottie because my spinal condition doesn't allow for me to provide what they deserve. I can provide everything my two elderly Cavaliers require and that is enough for me now.

About the bolded ^. Are you seriously telling me that your cousin was still nursing at 76 years of age? Was this person a RN? Was she nursing on the wards? I would have thought the nurses reg. board had a limit on the age of their RN's. I'll ask my son, he's a RN.

I know lots of people in their seventies who are very healthy. I had coffee with a 74yo yesterday who still works full time. My older brother still works. He is a surgeon and I have a cousin who retired two years ago. She was a nurse and is now 78.

It is not about me, me, me, and I want this and I want that. It's about the dog. I would not want to take the risk of suddenly leaving a dog I have loved for years who has also become attached to me. I believe the dog would feel a sense of abandonment if I suddenly disappeared from its life. The dog wouldn't know I'd fallen off my perch, just that I'd left it. As we become attached to dogs, they too become attached to us and would certainly be distressed if suddenly, we weren't there. I would not want to risk my dog being kennelled while waiting to be rehomed, if they're fortunate enough to be rehomed.

Of course I would love to have a dog in my old age, I've never lived without a dog and can't even imagine the loss I'd feel without a dog but I won't have a dog when I am of an age where there's a good chance I won't be there for it. You don't feel guilty if you leave a dog behind. I don't share your thoughts although I can't fathom where guilt comes into it. In any case it's not what I feel or don't feel, it's about the dog.

When you say you've spent much of your life cleaning up after others do you mean taking on rescue dogs? I too have rescued Rotties for many years and lost my last rescue girl to cancer four years ago but taking on my rescues wasn't cleaning up after others. All my rescues were wonderful dogs and I loved having them in my life.

I haven't taken another rescue dog since my last Rottie because my spinal condition doesn't allow for me to provide what they deserve. I can provide everything my two elderly Cavaliers require and that is enough for me now.

About the bolded ^. Are you seriously telling me that your cousin was still nursing at 76 years of age? Was this person a RN? Was she nursing on the wards? I would have thought the nurses reg. board had a limit on the age of their RN's. I'll ask my son, he's a RN.

Actually having thought further about the above post I think it is quite rude so I will not be responding any further. :)

Edited by sarsaparilla

An afterthought. Why is it okay for our politicians to be the ages that some of them are and have been? What about the pope? I don't know how old he is but I think he's elderly.

I'm not following you. Yep, there are old politicians and the Pope is old and there are lots of elderly people around. What's that got to do with elderly folk taking on dogs in there late 70's or 80's?

Edited to add: I also know an 84yo lady still driving quite capably. To balance the scale, for all the elderly people we know who are fit and healthy there are others who are battling pain and ill health. However that has nothing to do with them owning dogs.

I didn't think we were fighting. I thought we were sharing our opinions albeit they are from different view points.

I'm about done with posting in this thread now. It gets a bit boring when, in their defence, someone continually states their opinion and my opinion won't change so best I quit now.

Edited by cavNrott

Are you seriously telling me that your cousin was still nursing at 76 years of age? Was this person a RN? Was she nursing on the wards? I would have thought the nurses reg. board had a limit on the age of their RN's. I'll ask my son, he's a RN.

yep I know a nurse who was in her middle 70's who was on the ward until recently

An afterthought. Why is it okay for our politicians to be the ages that some of them are and have been? What about the pope? I don't know how old he is but I think he's elderly.

I'm not following you. Yep, there are old politicians and the Pope is old and there are lots of elderly people around. What's that got to do with elderly folk taking on dogs in there late 70's or 80's?

Edited to add: I also know an 84yo lady still driving quite capably. To balance the scale, for all the elderly people we know who are fit and healthy there are others who are battling pain and ill health. However that has nothing to do with them owning dogs.

I didn't think we were fighting. I thought we were sharing our opinions albeit they are from different view points.

I'm about done with posting in this thread now. It gets a bit boring when, in their defence, someone continually states their opinion and my opinion won't change so best I quit now.

Your point of view doesn't agree with actuarial facts. IF an individual is healthy into their seventies, they are very likely to live into their nineties. Sure, there are a lot of fragile old people who spend their days watching TV or streaming video, there are diabetics, heavy smokers, and people with conditions that mean they'll be lucky to reach 75. That doesn't mean that the other people, who are eating well, taking care of themselves, and getting a lot of exercise and free from major health complaints should abstain from getting a dog. The lifespan of an older person is predictable, given their condition and medical history. If your doctor tells you it looks like you're on course to live a few more decades, I see no reason not to get a dog. Ok, maybe choose your breed and/or the age of the dog you get to match probable decline in strength and energy.

My 79 year old neighbors just got a mini-daschund pup: She's a well-controlled diabetic and walks a couple miles five days a week and is a healthy diet nazi. He is always out in the yard tinkering with old cars and taking care of their lovely 2 acre property . . . but he just recovered from a surgery in which a kidney had to be removed. They . There's a good chance the dog will outlast one of or both of them . . . but their kids are nearby and see a lot of their folks. They all love the pup and will probably fight about who gets the dog when their parents pass. I see NO problem with this situation. Having a dog probably adds a few years to their life expectancies, and that little pup will be loved and cared for like few dogs around.

I don't hear anyone saying the frail elderly should be getting puppies.

Edited by sandgrubber

Are you seriously telling me that your cousin was still nursing at 76 years of age? Was this person a RN? Was she nursing on the wards? I would have thought the nurses reg. board had a limit on the age of their RN's. I'll ask my son, he's a RN.

yep I know a nurse who was in her middle 70's who was on the ward until recently

I went in for a haircut recently. The beautician was seventy-something. The other girls say she's been working in the place for 30 years and has a lot of regular clients . . . also that she almost never misses work and takes no extra breaks.

I agree with a lot of other posters, I don't believe that the number has much to do with whether you're capable of looking after a dog. My partners parents had 5 little white fluffy mutts when we met 6 years ago. Over the last six years they've all dropped off one by one, and last time I went to their house there weren't any dogs there and it just wasn't right. I spoke to his mum about whether they were going to get another and she was of the opinion that they were too old (they're in their 60s, but military life 60s, so battered and broken :))

Although I assured her there would always be a place here for any critters they had, she was still reluctant. However, a couple of months later, Nathan told me they were adopting a couple of middle aged fluffies. Sometimes, it is what it is. Crazy dog people will be crazy dog people and there's no shame in that and no problem as long as there's support, or at least a contingency plan.

I agree with a lot of other posters, I don't believe that the number has much to do with whether you're capable of looking after a dog. My partners parents had 5 little white fluffy mutts when we met 6 years ago. Over the last six years they've all dropped off one by one, and last time I went to their house there weren't any dogs there and it just wasn't right. I spoke to his mum about whether they were going to get another and she was of the opinion that they were too old (they're in their 60s, but military life 60s, so battered and broken :))

Although I assured her there would always be a place here for any critters they had, she was still reluctant. However, a couple of months later, Nathan told me they were adopting a couple of middle aged fluffies. Sometimes, it is what it is. Crazy dog people will be crazy dog people and there's no shame in that and no problem as long as there's support, or at least a contingency plan.

Hi Disintegratus...do you mean "Military Life" as in Returned Vets??? My Hubbie is a Vietnam Vet in his late 60's & the best thing that ever happened to him (apart from shacking up with me :laugh: ) was to get involved in dog training :) They even have programs now where they give a dog to a returned serviceman/woman & get the person involved in the dogs training. :thumbsup:

I agree the numbers don't matter when people are in their 60's. I think getting a dog in your 60's is perfectly fine as long as you're fit and healthy.

What concerns me is people in their mid to late 70's getting a pup or young dog. I think that is too old considering the pup's lifespan would be more than ten years...which would put the owner in their late 80's, if they're fortunate enough to live that long.

There are very few people in their 80's who are fit, healthy and active. The fit, active and healthy 80yo is the exception. There are a few elderly people who live in the surrounding streets in my suburb. I have come to know them in the course of walking my dogs and I must say that none of them would be active enough to care for a dog. Most tell me of their poor health and will tell me about the dogs they had when they were younger, most say they miss not having a dog. These elderly folk don't get another dog because they're putting consideration of the dogs before themselves.

This is why I will not get another dog when my current dogs are no longer with me. Hopefully they have a few years left yet. I'm putting the consideration of the dogs welfare before my very real feelings of sadness and loss at living without a dog.

I think to post on a dog forum you are exceptionally fond of dogs.I don't think any of the posters on this thread would ever do anything detrimental to dogs,at whatever age.I also have chronic health issues which mean I am in a lot of pain.Some would think I should not have dogs,however,I have a husband who also is a dog lover,and when I'm not able he takes over.I can honestly say none of my dogs have ever suffered because of my health,but at times they have definitely helped me cope.I don't think this is putting myself first,my dogs have a great life ,on several acres,get taken everywhere we go etc.Next year I will be 70,my husband 71 ( going on 50 ) and iI dont imagine these will be our last dogs. :)

I am 67 and have two active Koolies, Perry who is nearly 12 and Friskie who is 14. I adopted Friskie a year ago when her previous owner died and she has settled in happily here. I have ankylosing spondylitis which limits my mobility but I have an arrangement with neighbours to walk the dogs regularly. I am not expecting these two to be my last dogs but any future ones will also be elderly rescues. Australian Koolie Rescue often rehomes dogs to older people if they can provide the right kind of home and the arrangement is always that their dogs can come back to us at any time. We have just rehomed a 3 year old failed worker who just wants to be cuddled to a retired farmer and his wife who are in their early 70s.

I must admit this thought has been in my mind on and off recently - I am 45 and my current dogs are a 6 year old kelpie and a 5 year old bloodhound. What I am finding at this time of my life is that my kids - who are 15 and 13 - take up a lot of time with sports and things. I am looking to the time they are no longer needing to be driven to various sports or games or activities and am able to spend time training my dogs and going for longer walks with them - I plan to be the crazy dog lady when I have the time and get into trialing and agility - given this I would be looking at another pup but not until the current 2 are gone. We have talked about moving into the city but have decided - given we will always want dogs - suburbia is where we will stay. And I have always said that my retirement dogs will be greyhounds - although adopting an older dog is also something I would consider. My mum is in her mid 70's and while she would love a dog to potter around with she travels a bit so says it wouldn't be fair.

I am 67 and have two active Koolies, Perry who is nearly 12 and Friskie who is 14. I adopted Friskie a year ago when her previous owner died and she has settled in happily here. I have ankylosing spondylitis which limits my mobility but I have an arrangement with neighbours to walk the dogs regularly. I am not expecting these two to be my last dogs but any future ones will also be elderly rescues. Australian Koolie Rescue often rehomes dogs to older people if they can provide the right kind of home and the arrangement is always that their dogs can come back to us at any time. We have just rehomed a 3 year old failed worker who just wants to be cuddled to a retired farmer and his wife who are in their early 70s.

I apologize if I'm going too far off topic but I don't want to start a new thread. :)

Perry's Mum, could you tell me more about Koolies, especially the ones that don't want to work. How heavy are they and are they barkers? Are they good with children? I really want another dog to trial (I have one more left in me) and I think my children would love a Koolie if anything were to happen to me.

Hi Disintegratus...do you mean "Military Life" as in Returned Vets??? My Hubbie is a Vietnam Vet in his late 60's & the best thing that ever happened to him (apart from shacking up with me :laugh: ) was to get involved in dog training :) They even have programs now where they give a dog to a returned serviceman/woman & get the person involved in the dogs training. :thumbsup:

Well, his Dad was career Navy, so most of his joints are shot from climbing up and down ladders for years on end. His Mum wasn't military but has other "old person heebie jeebies" (her wording, not mine!!)

Tbh, I think the dogs have always been mostly his Mum's doing, she's always been a bit of a crazy critter person. His Dad adores them just as much as she does, but I don't think he'd ever stoop so low as to admit that he missed having dogs in the house, even though it was blatantly obvious! :laugh: