Breeders Help/opinions Please

Remarkabull

A friend and fellow Bosdogs breeder has a Bitch who is currently at day 62 of her pregnancy and although Bitch seems fine her owner is starting to stress a little so I'm wanting breeders opinions on what to do from this point.

Bitch was x rayed a few weeks ago and vet said only 3 pups in there. Bitch is huge (belly almost touching ground) and has gained around 6 kg during pregnancy. Normal vet has gone away and vet she saw a few days ago couldn't even find pups when examining Bitch (owner located them for vet who then found heartbeats). I went and saw her yesterday and although Bitch looks miserable she seemed fine and I could see and feel pups moving. Personally, I think she should wait another day or 2 before stressing about it but I'm not experienced so was wanting others opinions. Keep in mind that vets up here are not great and most have next to no experience with reproduction/breeding.

I guess what I'm asking is how long would you let it go before opting for a c - section or some kind of interference?

She has been taking temp. So far no changes. She called a few vets today about maybe getting an ultrasound but most don't have the equipment and others weren't that keen to do it.

The dog doesn't appear to be distressed or anything. When I saw her yesterday she was sad and uncomfortable (to be expected at this stage) but not anything that concerned me. I think it's a bit of a case of an overly worried owner but I said I'd ask for others thoughts and opinions. She is worrying herself so much over this pregnancy and I just want to try and reassure her a bit.

Another factor is, can the Mum deliver naturally? What's her build? Bulldog like or whatever else is used in these dogs?

It is this dogs first litter so nothing prior to go on. She is a fairly big bitch and isn't built like a BB (Bosdogs shouldn't look just like BB). I'll ask her about the bitches dam and if she has had a c - section.

I have found over the years that this time IS the most stressful for both me & the bitch BUT I have always "known" if there is a problem just by observing the bitch.

Steves advice to relax is good.

If your friend sees any unproductive pushing (over 2 hours) or if the bitch acts like she is in trouble with behaviour that is unusual for her then it is time to seek veterinary assistance.

Otherwise it is a waiting game.

I wouldn't even be anything other than impatient until day 65.

There is nothing wrong & nothing to be done from the sound of things.

Stressy owner makes stressy dog.

May be worth reminding them. Rushing her to vets, strange places at this stage to be messed about with won't do the dog any good. It needs to be at home with access to the birthing box, in peace.

My Lab was in labour for nearly 24 hours before she started pushing out babies... of course she started doing that about 10 minutes AFTER the vet closed. She had no difficulties and I had all of the vets on standby just in case anyways...

Relax and let nature take it's course...

T.

Emergency cesarean is being done. She took her to vet and they said pups were 'stressed' and needed to be done ASAP. I don't know any more at this stage other than vet called to ask if she wanted the bitch speyed during the surgery. Owner is feeling very down about useless vets up here and is extremely worried about her dog.

Yes, she sent me a msg asking what I thought and I said no to the desexing. They told her to go home too and it's been bloody hours and she's heard nothing. I suspect that despite this being declared an 'emergency' they didn't take her straight into surgery. If she were mine I'd have told them to get stuffed and parked myself in the waiting room