Does Anyone Use Slippery Elm Powder?

Stitch

I have used it when my boy has had the runs and it fixes it up straight away. I have used it when he has swallowed something he shouldn't have to prevent blockage or other problems. I have also used it when I had to switch foods immediately as a preventative for tummy upset due to change.

I don't use it daily, I just always have it on hand as the first thing I use with any tummy or potential tummy upsets. I also mix in probiotics when the tea is cool - I only ever use it as a thick tea and usually 30 minutes before food. In the case of something swallowed, I will quickly make up a brew and cool it as quick as possible so I can give asap.

Edited by Yonjuro

Ah yes.

The powder has been recommended to use on my old girl who has IBD, pancreatitis, etc... by the internal medicine vet in USA.

Friends in USA put me on to her...what a wealth of knowledge that woman has!

Thank you for that link Trifecta. I will get some of that.

Edited by Stitch

I have used it often for an upset tummy or bowel in both dogs and myself.

Not sure what the brand was but I bought it from the health food shop and it was organic.

I just mix it to a slurry with about 1tsp of powder in a little bit of cold water and then when it is absorbed add more water. I have on occasion just tipped it over the dogs food and although it should be fed before the food it has still solved the issue.

I have used it on my cats when they had food sensitivty issues and I was trying to find a suitable food. I have also used it on one when he was having IBS attacks.

It worked brilliantly.

With the cats I just put the powder over their food.

I have used it in the dogs when they have had upset tummies. I got the capsules I could get from the chemist

Edited by OSoSwift

• 3 months later...

Can you give slippery elm to a 9 week old puppy :confused: My daughters small x breed puppy seems to be straining. He will do a little poo, but then takes 5 to 10 minutes to do the rest. The first bit is firm but as he gets more out it becomes softer, which I think is normal, but not sure if it should be taking this long to complete the task & then she has to clean his bottom. She wormed him a couple of days ago with something the vet gave her. He is also skooting on his bum, which I thought may be to do with not fully defecating. Would slippery elm help him do you think & if so how much would you give a tiny pup.??

I am not sure the actual cause of the problem but can give some advice on Slippery Elm. It may help and trying for 48 - 72 hours will do no harm either way and may just get thing passing a bit easier.

Yes you can use Slippery Elm with a young puppy, Ronin swallowed a bit of plastic at 6.5 weeks and our breeder was lucky enough that her friend was a advocate of Slipper Elm and it fixed him up quick smart.

Dose would be around a teaspoon of the brewed mixture for a puppy (depending on weight), half an hour before food, 3 times a day. Dosage amount is less critical that with most medicines.

Thanks guys...I think she has the powdered form. I wonder how you would get the pup to take it, as I imagine it wouldn't taste too good on its own.

Mix one rounded teaspoon in 250ml of cold water, put into a small bowl and gently bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes and allow to cool. You can mix a teaspoon of honey or molasses into the warm tea, allow to cool. You can add some probiotics to the cold brew if you like.

I normally just put the dose in his bowl and it is readily licked up. You can give straight from the teaspoon if you like. If all else fails you can syringe into the side of the mouth.

Edited by Yonjuro