Dog Life Jackets For Males.

LisaCC

It's starting to get warm again and now that Nova is fully grown I'm prepared to spend money on a good quality Life Jacket for him.

He loves swimming but unfortunately is really bad at it! His butt just sinks and he can't keep himself up (lack of tail perhaps?). We used a cheap life jacket from BCF last summer but found the back strap was in a very uncomfortable spot right on his penis frown.gif

Does anyone have any experience with Life Jackets and male dogs? The Ezydog one looks like it's straps are in the same spot as the one we have so I'm tossing up between the Ruffwear Float Coat and if I can get it in Australia the Hurtta Life Jacket.

Oh and for those with Ruffwear, does it support the back end well?

Edited by LisaCC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was someone selling a couple of the Hurtta ones in the Marketplace here a while back I don't think they ever sold and were new or almost new.

Eurodogsdesign who sell Hurtta are excellent to deal with they sometimes have their stuff on ebay and they can also send to us from a stockist in Japan so it works out cheaper. I have had excellent service from them.

Katja Henriksen

Euro Dog Designs

785-330-3009

www.EuroDogDesigns.com

Edited by Yonjuro

we have the ezydog ones and it doesn't seem to be a problem for Hunter at all... this is possible due to the fact that his jacket is a little on the small side for him. I tried to find some photos which shows where the strap sits but didn't have a very good one sorry. It looks in the photos that it might be a problem, but this isn't the case in real life... if I'm making any sense at all :laugh:

post-50061-0-22153200-1410759057_thumb.jpg

post-50061-0-37296500-1410759065_thumb.jpg

ETA we had the same issue with their bums sinking, and the jackets have really helped with that :thumbsup: every now and then Hunter will go into froggy position and just let his back end float :laugh:

Edited by Lasareina

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone :)

Unfortunately none of the pet shops near me stock any life jackets, so trying before buying isn't an option.

Lasareina I'll try and find a picture of Nova in his lifejacket to try and compare the straps. I know some males can be a little more forward than others, so perhaps that's Novas issue.

Ok I just chucked his jacket on him, much to his dismay. It's the furthest forward it can go, but that back strap is still on his penis. It's quite loose but when it comes to lifting him in the water etc it obviously tightens and becomes uncomfortable.

9f7ad661fc321cd650ad1788ea47ab60.jpg

Edited by LisaCC

aww poor boy he doesn't look happy at all! I might chuck Hunter's one on him when I get home tonight and take a better photo so you can have a look. He will probably go nuts thinking we are going to the creek, but he will get over it ! :laugh: :o I think the strap might be a little bit further up from the end of the jacket.

Oh poor Nova, he looks so fed up :laugh: I have the Ezydog one and don't recall the straps getting in the way of anything on him. We just got them while the dogs were getting use to the pool, they are both capable swimmers now but just hate getting wet!

Here he is ably demonstrating the life jacket :laugh: Click image for video....

th_LouisSwimming2.jpg

Any chance you know someone who is a clever sewer who could but an extra strap on it for you? A little wider and slightly further forward. If you were able to get the same size clip you could cross the straps diagonally so it then sits slightly further foward in the middle of the belly but still has the back strap

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Oh poor Nova, he looks so fed up :laugh: I have the Ezydog one and don't recall the straps getting in the way of anything on him. We just got them while the dogs were getting use to the pool, they are both capable swimmers now but just hate getting wet!

Here he is ably demonstrating the life jacket :laugh: Click image for video....

th_LouisSwimming2.jpg

Get out of here!!!!

Fabulous video. Louie is full of style

:thumbsup:

I have the Hurtta for the Horrible Herbert. He loves it. Better dressed than me.

:D

Edited by VizslaMomma

Thanks everyone :)

Dotdashdot, I'll see if I can get it ordered in.

It seems like they all do a good job and it's more of a style preference.

The Ruffwears look the best to me, but I was worried because they look like they don't cover much of the back. But it sounds like they still support a sinking bum anyway!

But I also like that the Hurtta has an adjustable neck!

Kelpiecuddles, I'm overall not too impressed with the one he has, I'd like it to have more support underneath, but I didn't want to shell out on a good one when he was still growing.

ok I hope these are helpful ... it was harder to get a decent angle than I thought lol. Mostly because all he wanted to do was give me kisses... makes the angle a bit difficult :p

post-50061-0-36308600-1410777132_thumb.jpg

post-50061-0-18713300-1410777140_thumb.jpg

it turns out that it does fit quite far back depending on his position, but it seems to sit underneath and just a bit in fromt of his penis so it doesn't seem to bother him. He has quite a defined tuck as well so the strap seems to slide back a bit off the rib cage. A couple more photos below hopefully if it will work :)