Dog Life Jackets For Males.

LisaCC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep I was so happy to see that ... all our stuff is in the camo and pink camo stuff so it had to match haha. I got them on special too around 6 months ago maybe? that is whay Hunter's is a little small as it was the largest size they had, and I was just hoping it would fit him. It works, but I would get the next size up next time... mainly for around the neck.

It's starting to get warm again and now that Nova is fully grown I'm prepared to spend money on a good quality Life Jacket for him.

He loves swimming but unfortunately is really bad at it! His butt just sinks and he can't keep himself up (lack of tail perhaps?). We used a cheap life jacket from BCF last summer but found the back strap was in a very uncomfortable spot right on his penis frown.gif

Does anyone have any experience with Life Jackets and male dogs? The Ezydog one looks like it's straps are in the same spot as the one we have so I'm tossing up between the Ruffwear Float Coat and if I can get it in Australia the Hurtta Life Jacket.

Oh and for those with Ruffwear, does it support the back end well?

I had two of these for sale a while back on the Marketplace. I still have them as I didn't get around to relisting them. I bought them from Clean Run for my two border collies for boating but never used them, other than trying them on. I still have them if you are interested...I think I was asking $70 each including postage. They are sized 20 to 40 Kg

It's starting to get warm again and now that Nova is fully grown I'm prepared to spend money on a good quality Life Jacket for him.

He loves swimming but unfortunately is really bad at it! His butt just sinks and he can't keep himself up (lack of tail perhaps?). We used a cheap life jacket from BCF last summer but found the back strap was in a very uncomfortable spot right on his penis frown.gif

Does anyone have any experience with Life Jackets and male dogs? The Ezydog one looks like it's straps are in the same spot as the one we have so I'm tossing up between the Ruffwear Float Coat and if I can get it in Australia the Hurtta Life Jacket.

I had two of these for sale a while back on the Marketplace. I still have them as I didn't get around to relisting them. I bought them from Clean Run for my two border collies for boating but never used them, other than trying them on. I still have them if you are interested...I think I was asking $70 each including postage. They are sized 20 to 40 Kg

Oooh thank you! I was looking for that but it must of been deleted.

How do they fit your BCs? Do you have any photos?

Edited by LisaCC

Just by the by, when I attended a Pat Hastings seminar, she highlighted difficulty swimming in a breed that usually swims well as caused in some cases by front/neck construction issues.

It is certainly the case for my "brick" who has a congenital spinal deformity in his neck.

His Ruffwear float vest finishes about the end of his ribcage but it supports him very well and he swims easily in it.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Just by the by, when I attended a Pat Hastings seminar, she highlighted difficulty swimming in a breed that usually swims well as caused in some cases by front/neck construction issues.

It is certainly the case for my "brick" who has a congenital spinal deformity in his neck.

His Ruffwear float vest finishes about the end of his ribcage but it supports him very well and he swims easily in it.

Thanks HW, I'll keep that in mind. I guess basic conformation wise I'll get peoples opinions when I start showing next month, but medically I'm going to get him Pennhip and Elbow scored before we start getting seriously into agility trialling so I'll make sure he gets a full look over during that too.

I do wonder though if it is because he's an NBT? Having a lab as my last dog he certainly used that big thick tail very efficiently in the water.

Edited by LisaCC

I needed my lifevest because my older girl literally used to "freeze" once the tips of her ears got wet, not a good tactic for staying afloat.... :o

She's better now, but I find it a good mount for the action cam :thumbsup:

Friend is looking to have snoods for dogs that dislike getting their ears wet.

I am ordering some for the head shaking Horrible Herbert.

They work a treat for swimmers like our dogs.

:)

They fit them really good as they are very adjustable. Sadly I never took a photo of them with them on. I bought them when we started going boating, but OH says they are not necessary because the dogs are such good swimmers. Instead I just hold on to them when the boat is moving & when it is stopped, they havn't tried to jump overboard. The Hurtas have a handle on the back so you can lift your dog out of the water & the adjustable chest strap is buoyant to keep their head up out of the water. My two dogs are 18 kilos & 22-23 kilos & there is plenty of room for adjustment.

They fit them really good as they are very adjustable. Sadly I never took a photo of them with them on. I bought them when we started going boating, but OH says they are not necessary because the dogs are such good swimmers. Instead I just hold on to them when the boat is moving & when it is stopped, they havn't tried to jump overboard. The Hurtas have a handle on the back so you can lift your dog out of the water & the adjustable chest strap is buoyant to keep their head up out of the water. My two dogs are 18 kilos & 22-23 kilos & there is plenty of room for adjustment.

Oh, I am glad you responded as I couldn't remember who had the life jackets in the Market place. Hurtta stuff is really the rolls royce of coats and jackets in my opinion. :thumbsup: I would have grabbed yours in a heartbeat if I had the need of a life-jacket.

• 1 month later...