What Is Best, 2, 3 Or 4 Dogs?

Pretty Miss Emma

I currently have 2 dogs. But have spent the last 7 weeks fostering a little puppy, of course now everyone in the house is happy with her being here and she will be going to her new home in a couple of weeks!!

But it has been a good trial period for me to see how my 2 go with adding another puppy to the house as that is the intent in the next 2 years. So that would mean I would have 3 dogs when that time comes.

I'm just wondering what people think, those who deal with multiple dog households, is a good number of dogs to keep peace in the house? I find that 2 is just great, I can give them everything I want to (pretty much). But I am definitely planning a third, partly as a succession plan and partly due to my future plans in the dog world. Highly like after a third comes along that I will then potentially have a 4th a few years later (obviously assuming nothing happens to any of the current dogs).

So yeah, just wondering what people see as pros and cons to having these sorts of numbers of dogs. And what the household dynamics are like with these various dog numbers.

I think it really boils down to what you and your pack are capable and happy living with.

I currently have 7 dogs, all but one are long coated and entire and this number is totally fine for me. Every one gets along, no one is ever left alone, they all adore one another and I'm happy. I have to keep on top of the males when the girls are in season but that is easy enough.

On the other hand I've previously had a pack of 3 (totally different dogs, all desexed and mixed breeds) and it was the most stressful time I've ever had with dogs. We had fights all the time and it was all because of one bitch that had serious issues with the two males. Eventually she had to be kept away from them all the time as she was causing damage.

So really any number can be good or bad depending on you and your current dogs.

Edited by Bjelkier

every house is different, every dog is different!

I do agree. It is a bit like asking, "How long is a piece of string?" :laugh:

All sorts of considerations to be thought through. Your foster has proved a huge success; the next one might be totally different.

Aren't I helpful LOL

I am now a four dog household :cry: and I regularly take all four, same as I used to take all five, walking. Walking depends on who presents themselves at the side gate. If Jeune doesn't get off the couch or continues to stand at the top of the stairs, she misses out. And quite often, I sense that Danny is just presenting at the side gate out of habit. Although he hates having me out of his sight, sometimes he just doesn't want to come walking.

If you want to have three dogs, go for it, same as four or five. It is what suits you and what you feel you can do for those dogs. I live alone and sometimes feel that my dogs could do with an extra some one or two.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Personally I think 3 is the best, we have had from 1 - 7 over the years. I lost my old poodle earlier this year and it's the first time since I was 17 that I haven't had any poodles in the house. I have 3 other dogs and even though I miss having my poodles I'm not sure if I can go back to 4.

With 3 it is so easy to give plenty of one on one but with 4 I found it a lot harder. Also I have 2 boys with 1 girl, my girl even though she is under 2kg she's not a fan of other females and I don't want to set of my boys peeing in the house so I don't know if I would have another male.

Over the decades, the number of dogs I have owned/fostered at any one time (not including litters) has varied from one to fourteen with every possible combination in between. DD is absolutely correct with her "how long is a piece of string?" remark.

It really does depend on you, on your circumstances, the time you have available for them, your commitments and of course how they function together. What is important is your ability to keep them contented (which might mean engaged, depending on the breed type) and healthy. Be realistic with what your household can manage. Fostering is a great way to dip a toe into the water and see if you can manage more.

Any number higher than one, it is essential that you have a plan for separating if needed especially when introducing a new dog or when the sizes, ages and play styles are widely varied. I have been aware of many tragedies occurring when a pair of mismatched dogs, who have lived harmoniously together for many years, suddenly fight to the death.frown.gif

Having said all that, there is no greater joy for me than watching a half-dozen or more assorted dogs zooming happily about a paddock on a supervised romp, racing each other, wrestling, exploring together and running back to you with bright eyes and huge smiles! thumbsup1.gif

I have one permanent dog and bring in a foster from time to time.

I still don't know if I want two permanent dogs.

Sometimes I look at Zig and think he would love another dog here all the time and other times, like today, he seems quite content with just him and I hanging out.

It also means I can focus more on his training issues and it is easy to just take him anywhere - whereas with the extra dog, there is more training and it isn't as easy to just take both dogs anywhere on my own.

I could easily have kept either of the last two fosters.

I think it depends on what works for you and your home.

Keep in mind that in some states / councils, you may only keep two dogs, and must apply for sometimes expensive or difficult-to-get permits for higher numbers. So if you even remotely think that an interstate move may be in your future in the next 10 or so years, it may be wise to just stick with 2 dogs.

I like them spaced about 3 years apart so you do eventually end up with 4 but for me in a suburban yard, 5 BCs was one too many. 2, 3 or 4 all work for me. In some respects 2 are easier to take everywhere with you but once you get to 3, you can take them out one at a time and those left at home always have company.

Not exactly what you asked but.. I've only ever had one or two but now that I've experienced owning two dogs that think the absolute world of each other, I can't imagine owning just one. I love seeing them sleep and play together :)

I've been feeling stirrings of wanting a third but I don't think I could handle it tbh.