Seriously?

Simply Grand

I am right now parked about to get the dogs out for a walk around our central town park. A woman just pulled in, parked behind me on the busy main road through town, opened the car door, let her little Shih Tzu dog jump out off leash onto the on leash area foot path then walked off across the on leash area park. The little dog sniffed around the foot path right next to the road and peed on things for a good little while as the woman wandered off to about 200m before stopping to turn around and look for the dog, who eventually move away from the road and ran across the park to her. She doesn't appear to have a lead with her.

Nope, can't see how anything could possibly go wrong there :mad

Yep, in my area so long as you're walking to the off leash area you don't need a leash. If you're about 2 km away it's still ok. Top idea.

Of course if you don't happen to live near the off leash park then you can just use your local oval as an off leash because that's "fair" for everyone.

Edited by hankdog

I have heart palpitations when I see clients walking up the path to the salon with an unleashed dog! Most dogs kinda don't really want to come, much like the vet, and my salon door is about 6 metres from one of our busiest roads, not to mention they have walked along the footpath cms from the traffic before arriving at the salon door. Is it really that horrible to put the fur baby on a lead!

I have heart palpitations when I see clients walking up the path to the salon with an unleashed dog! Most dogs kinda don't really want to come, much like the vet, and my salon door is about 6 metres from one of our busiest roads, not to mention they have walked along the footpath cms from the traffic before arriving at the salon door. Is it really that horrible to put the fur baby on a lead!

Ugh. I know! We have the same thing where I work. And then you have to spend time chasing their little darlings down around the building preventing them from peeing on everything. And when you pick them up and put them back into the owners arms, what do they do? Put them down again. Give them a lead, what do they do? STILL let them run around on the floor. Then when it hassles another dog to the point of 'words', what do they do? Complain about the poor temperament of the other dog...who was ON A LEAD as it should be.

Most of the public parks and ovals in my council area are off lead, much to my surprise and annoyance. Most of them are also along side very busy roads, with traffic that barely slows for a pedistrian (in fact, they usually come full tilt at you and brake at the last second even if you were already most of the way over the road). I've seen a dog chasing cars along the edge of the park, with an owner watching on.

Fortunately, most of the dogs seem quite savvy about other dogs. I've only had two scares.

My neighbour has a little dog that has recently learnt to escape her(poorly fenced) yard and today was coming over hassling me. Neighbour has a long history of not properly caring for animals but given we front directly on to the princes hwy and the dog is wandering around a few meters from the road you'd hope she's have little more sense. :(

There's a park near us where dogs must supposedly remain fully on leash at all times.

Once we were walking our boy, and we came across an owner with an off-lead dog. Turns out he didn't even have a leash with him! He had to hold his dog's collar while we walked past and the whole time his dog was going crazy trying to get to ours.

I have seen dogs chasing kangaroos there, which is so frustrating because I don't want some harassed kangaroo attacking me or my dog because it feels we are a threat.

I also get really annoyed when people walk their dogs off-lead down our street. We once had an off-lead rottie break the back of our elderly cat down by our side gate (which is quite a way into our front yard). The next morning at the exact same time I saw a man with what I believe was the same dog walking it again off-lead past our driveway. He would have had to have heard me screaming when I saw our cat being attacked :mad I wish I'd had the sense at the time to confront him about it.

We have a reactive dog. I don't care how 'friendly' or obedient your dog is, if it's somewhere that dictates a leash must be used... put your dog on a leash!

Yep some people are completely brainless. Peak hour, Adelaide, man with lab crosses Greenhill Road across 6 lanes of traffic - OFF-LEAD eek1.gif. Completely clueless and no thought for grief of the poor person who hits the dog. icon_smile_mad.gif

Edited by westiemum

Idiots. They're everywhere.

Walking dogs this morning. Random woman across the road with a staffy/pitty type dog. She stops suddenly, stands there with a stupid grin on her face staring at us, while her dog is going nuts, snarling and frenzied, to get at us. OH just stares back and says "That's a nice dog you have there". And she walks on without a word.....

What. The. F*** :confused:

Edited by Dame Aussie

Yep some people are completely brainless. Peak hour, Adelaide, man with lab crosses Greenhill Road across 6 lanes of traffic - OFF-LEAD eek1.gif. Completely clueless and no thought for grief of the poor person who hits the dog. icon_smile_mad.gif

See bolded part and the driver who swerves to miss the loose dog and then has a head on with a car coming the other way or wraps his car around a tree.

We have new (well 6 months old now), neighbours across the road, who as soon as they moved in bought a new puppy, that is never on a leash. They walk it by riding their bikes fast down the street and letting it run (tiny puppy yep). Now they just open their garage door and let it wonder the street all afternoon.

Yesterday arvo before they got home I took Nova out the front (on lead), to de shed him. They come home and give me the most evil look because I dare have my dog in my own front yard which stops them from letting their puppy be loose. Urghhhh.

Yes, what amazes me - and you see it SO often - is people who walk their dogs off leash down suburban streets, with no thought to the fact that a car could easily back out of a driveway right over their dog. They might stop to give way to the pedestrian, but the poor driver has no chance of spotting the dog that is invariably wandering a long way ahead or behind.

I have just taken my two for a walk and I met a guy who regularly walks his dog off leash but without his dog today. He said to me, 'Don't you ever let your dogs off the lead? It's cruel not to let them have a run.'

I was speechless for once.

Yes, what amazes me - and you see it SO often - is people who walk their dogs off leash down suburban streets, with no thought to the fact that a car could easily back out of a driveway right over their dog. They might stop to give way to the pedestrian, but the poor driver has no chance of spotting the dog that is invariably wandering a long way ahead or behind.

This one is close to my heart...

There is an elderly asian couple who walk their little JRT boy at about the time I'm leaving home for work. I always make sure to stop before I cross the footpath because if I can see them on the path I know he's about 20 feet in front of them... ie. right under my car if I'm backing out of my drive... *sigh*

T.

Yep, heaps of people around here walk their dogs off-lead, often along busy roads, and most don't even bother carrying a lead with them. The worst offender is the guy who rides his bike and has five - yes, count them, FIVE - dogs running loose. All medium to large size dogs too, a variety of Ridgeback, GSD and Bull breed X's. I recently came across one woman walking two Golden Retrievers off lead, and one of them became extremely aggressive as soon as it spotted my dog. She had no leads with her (of course) and - I'm not joking - literally had to tackle her snarling dog and pin it, using hands/knees and her entire body weight, against a tree trunk until we could get past and get a safe distance away. FFS!!!

I've lost count of the number of times we've been rushed, harassed and even bailed up by aggressive, off-leash dogs - taking our old girl for a walk is becomingly increasingly stressful both for her and for us. As she can't walk too far now, her favourite outing is to go up to the park at the end of the street and we walk around the edge on the footpath whilst she potters along (always on-lead) sniffing and peeing on everything. But even that's becoming impossible to do because of these idiots either walking their dogs off-lead along the footpath or allowing their dogs to just run wild in the park. It's now reached the stage, sad to say, that when our girl goes (in probably the not too distant future), we will not be getting another dog for a very long time, if at all. There's no pleasure in talking your dog for a walk and constantly having to be on the alert and make regular changes of direction to avoid being menaced, and even attacked (as has happened on two occasions), by loose dogs, or having to experience some quite terrifying "close encounters". Even getting in the car and going further afield doesn't help, the problem seems to be everywhere - and anyway, why the hell should I have to go elsewhere to exercise my dog? Why should we not be able to walk along the streets in our own suburb and have an enjoyable, safe experience?????

I think it's so arrogant. I'm all for exercising dogs off leash if you want to but do it at an off leash area! Or at the very least a deserted area, NOT in an area where there are other members of society who have every right to be there.

I always think, if a dog is really good enough to be off lead then it's good enough to be on lead. So excuses like "he walks badly on lead but nicely off lead" says to me that you don't have the knowledge or the commitment to train your dog properly so how can I trust what it will do off lead, or "he never goes further than 2 meters from me anyway" says well just put a bloody lead on him if he's really right there anyway so you're obeying the law and respecting everyone else!

Exactly my feeling SG. Too lazy to train them to walk on leash.

I do wonder if having off leash areas has encouraged this "off leash" mentality. I also think it would make a great research project if there's a correlation between proximity to puppy selling pet shops and irresponsible ownership.