Advice And Opinions Please

chaostheory

Glad all is going well. Do not have him desexed under at least 6 months. A friend of mine who breeds griffons suggests 8 - 12 months. If you allow him to be in the back yard alone, you run the risk of theft, as well as attack by loose dogs, and perhaps attacks by crows/hawks etc.

Consider whether he could be inside somewhere (laundry again?) with toys, a bone etc, when you are out. Much safer

Good luck, they are fabulous dogs.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I am a nazi about small dogs outside and agree with the above, theft, eagles, snakes etc, there is no way even mine now would be allowed home alone outside but I am totally paranoid and a worrier....

Cheers guys. Pretty much echoing my thoughts re both issues. I had not even considered an eagle taking him off. He's penned in the laundry when home alone which isn't the most exciting area but beats being eaten by an eagle...

He's the best!

Cheers guys. Pretty much echoing my thoughts re both issues. I had not even considered an eagle taking him off. He's penned in the laundry when home alone which isn't the most exciting area but beats being eaten by an eagle...

He's the best!

Unless you live in the country, I would put access to exercise, sunshine and fresh air above the risk of raptor predation.

When was the last time you saw an eagle in the 'burbs?

Don't sacrifice your dog's quality of life, muscle tone and physical and mental health for management of risks with minimal chance of occurrence.

If you must, buy or build him a small roofed outdoor run.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Hi not sure how to quote on my phone but as said earlier I work from home most of the week so he has free indoor/outdoor access majority of the time. Might be a case of waiting until he is a bit bigger/older. :) theft is my main concern, as he is so cute.

Hi not sure how to quote on my phone but as said earlier I work from home most of the week so he has free indoor/outdoor access majority of the time. Might be a case of waiting until he is a bit bigger/older. :) theft is my main concern, as he is so cute.

Trust me, your household electronics are way more attractive to your average thief than your dog and thieves break into houses every day.

Act sensibly but don't become paranoid. Dog theft is rare.

You are blessed to be able to work from home. I'll confess to not liking the idea of a dog not having access to sunlight and fresh air 5 days a week.

My dogs are predominantly indoors - I, too, am fortunate to work from home quite a bit. The doors are always open unless it's freezing and the dogs have plenty of filtered sunshine. Dogs rely on diet for Vitamin D and gain minimal amounts from sunshine so that aspect is not a concern.

My dogs are predominantly indoors - I, too, am fortunate to work from home quite a bit. The doors are always open unless it's freezing and the dogs have plenty of filtered sunshine. Dogs rely on diet for Vitamin D and gain minimal amounts from sunshine so that aspect is not a concern.

The same cannot be said for seratonin production.

There are some interesting articles about the impact of low exposure to sunshine on dogs. Lower reproductive rates are one observation.

Here is one article. There are others, and research papers also.

I would worry about theft, especially for such a young tiny unique looking breed, it may not happen often but it does happen.

Mine is indoors 100% when we are not home and she has access to lots of natural light but I was told by the vet to restrict it has she was doing lots of sunbathing and the skin on her tummy was burning as she loves one of the bedrooms which gets direct sun.

Bubba is such a cutie! I love seeing his updates!

Guest donatella

I would worry about theft, especially for such a young tiny unique looking breed, it may not happen often but it does happen.

Mine is indoors 100% when we are not home and she has access to lots of natural light but I was told by the vet to restrict it has she was doing lots of sunbathing and the skin on her tummy was burning as she loves one of the bedrooms which gets direct sun.

Bubba is such a cutie! I love seeing his updates!

My friend had her 2 boxers murdered in her own backyard, and in Brisbane!!!!! I have every right to be paranoid because their safety is paramount, my 2 would also be appealing someone wanting a cute fluffy and not wanting to pay for it. You can't trust people these days in big cities, a cute griffon would look mighty fine to a shady character unattended.

More then enough sun and stimulation daily walks, just got back from ours along the river :thumbsup:

Considering how often you are home and that he has access to the yard during this time I wouldn't really be concerned about your pup missing out on anything if kept inside when you are gone. Didi is kept inside when I'm out and she is a big dog more than capable of looking after herself but we don't live in the nicest of areas and someone has tried to climb our 8ft colour bond fence to break in before so I'd rather she be inside and out of harms way as a precaution. She gets more than enough sun and fresh air as it is and if she's left inside I know that's where she'll still be when I get home.

The same cannot be said for seratonin production.

There are some interesting articles about the impact of low exposure to sunshine on dogs. Lower reproductive rates are one observation.

Here is one article. There are others, and research papers also.

For sure but I don't think anyone here is talking about leaving their dogs in dark rooms all day. All I'm saying is that dogs don't need direct sunlight for Vit D - windows block UVB rays required for Vit D production in humans and a common thought is that the same applies to dogs. The research suggests that indirect exposure to sunlight through a window is sufficient to promote serotonin production. You have to weigh up the risks at the end of the day…desexing, feeding, housing, security etc. Separation anxiety can also be relieved in the first instance by allowing a dog to stay inside when the owner is out.

Guest donatella

A sad but timely story, my friend had her bull breed puppy stolen from the backyard this week, with the owner home, the pup went out to play for 15 mins :mad it's disgusting, be vigilant :mad

Edited by donatella

That's terrible Donatella! I just don't trust anyone, you hear the stories like that dog being stolen from a house at the gold coast which was caught on CCTV, and that thread of the Douge pup stolen from a vet clinic awhile back and so many more. I just wouldn't chance it.

Guest donatella

I know it's sad there are so many shady bastards around a dog can't even enjoy it's On my way! backyard

Gosh Don, those poor pooches & their owners :cry: Murdered Boxers & stolen pups :eek:

What is this place coming to????? Really just so sad. They can't even have a run about in the 'safety' of their own yard :mad

I'm very careful with my guys even though they aren't littley's. You CAN'T trust anyone. I don't let just anyone even pat my 2. It only takes a split second lapse in your concerntration for someone untoward to slip them something for instance. I'm a security nut too. Our side gate to our backyard is padlocked even when I am home.

OP, thanks for the link. Going to have my puppy fix now :D

A sad but timely story, my friend had her bull breed puppy stolen from the backyard this week, with the owner home, the pup went out to play for 15 mins :mad it's disgusting, be vigilant :mad

Few years back, the local police put a notice thro' the local newspaper that people owning small, attractive dog breeds, should keep them away from the front of their yards. In NW Brisbane, a group of people were going around stealing dogs like this from yards. Presumably to sell as there's a ready market.

Couple of years ago, Tibbie boy on the Gold Coast went missing. Family searched everywhere. The dad got his microchip details amended to add 'MISSING'. 8 months later a Tibbie was dropped at the AWL 'on behalf of owner who couldn't look after him any more'. When staff did the assessment, they were surprised when his microchip came up with 'MISSING' & the name of another family. They phoned that family who piled into their car & raced to the AWL. As staff said, it was so clear he was their dog.... he flew into his family's arms. Not a dry eye in the house!

Edited by mita

Few years back, the local police put a notice thro' the local newspaper that people owning small, attractive dog breeds, should keep them away from the front of their yards. In NW Brisbane, a group of people were going around stealing dogs like this from yards. Presumably to sell as there's a ready market.

Couple of years ago, Tibbie boy on the Gold Coast went missing. Family searched everywhere. The dad got his microchip details amended to add 'MISSING'. 8 months later a Tibbie was dropped at the AWL 'on behalf of owner who couldn't look after him any more'. When staff did the assessment, they were surprised when his microchip came up with 'MISSING' & the name of another family. They phoned that family who piled into their car & raced to the AWL. As staff said, it was so clear he was their dog.... he flew into his family's arms. Not a dry eye in the house!

Thank Dog that family had microchipped him AND took that extra step to end up with such a great outcome.

:cry: