6 Month Old American Staffy

goldenluv

my niece has a 6 month old American Staffordshire, it has had vomiting and diarrhea so she took him to the vet and he said the pup is sensitive to fat. so we are looking at new foods, on black hawk now.

my question is at this age what percentage of protein should he be getting and how low would you go with the fat content?

the breeder is not interested so no help there!

Go to another Vet who can advise what food the dog can eat and better explain what the problem is. .May need a prescription diet.

My cat cannot digest protein and has Hills zd dry food from the vet. There is another similar food for dogs who have digestive problems.

it "may" have been a one-off .... depending on what bone it was, too . Did the vet do blood tests?

A fatty , rich bone ..esp if it has marrow ..or pork fat ... can indeed cause a decent stomach upset . Our dogs get upset stomachs sometimes when they eat more fatty stuff than they should ... but are on normal diets otherwise .

Unless there is more to the story ..and the vet has done tests to find out what is happening inside ... yes- find another vet :)

Edited by persephone

• 4 weeks later...

my niece has a 6 month old American Staffordshire, it has had vomiting and diarrhea so she took him to the vet and he said the pup is sensitive to fat. so we are looking at new foods, on black hawk now.

my question is at this age what percentage of protein should he be getting and how low would you go with the fat content?

My Staffy also suffer with sensitive stomach (IBD) he was put on "Eukanuba Intestinal" low residue kibble this was the only kinble that has worked being a low residue kibble it breaks down easy so less work on their stomach & bowel u can buy online it is a vet prescription kibble "Pet Circle" deliver to ur door for the same price as the vet sell it for... the fat-10% & fiber-1.70%, Eukanuba also make Intestinal Plus but this has more fiber-4% & didnt work for my boy, the Intestinal worked the best, my boy didnt do well on Black Hawk the fat is 12-13% to high also Eukanuba make "Sensitive digestion" sold at Pet Barn very similar to their Eukanuba Intestinal a low residue kibble but the fat% is 13% a bit higher then their Intestinal vet diet,

My Staffy also suffer with sensitive stomach (IBD) he was put on "Eukanuba Intestinal" low residue kibble this was the only kinble that has worked being a low residue kibble it breaks down easy so less work on their stomach & bowel u can buy online it is a vet prescription kibble "Pet Circle" deliver to ur door for the same price as the vet sell it for... the fat-10% & fiber-1.70%, Eukanuba also make Intestinal Plus but this has more fiber-4% & didnt work for my boy, the Intestinal worked the best, my boy didnt do well on Black Hawk the fat is 12-13% to high also Eukanuba make "Sensitive digestion" sold at Pet Barn very similar to their Eukanuba Intestinal a low residue kibble but the fat% is 13% a bit higher then their Intestinal vet diet,

thanks for that will pass it on as she is still having trouble with him