I Want A Dog Food Like Advance Active Dry

OSoSwift

I am after a dry dog food that gives me similar results as Advance Active but without Chicken.

It doesn't have to be grain free but I would like wheat free. I have fed them other dries and had issues with trying to keep weight on, regular issues with torn muscles, lacking muscle tone, holding weight and fitness. This dry food has stopped all those issues but I would prefer a food without chicken, duck, emu or turkey.

Hit me with them :)

No chicken at all? Or is chicken fat ok?

So far it appears Chicken fat is okay but so far chicken, emu and Turkey have resulted in a very upset tummy. Cooked chicken is tolerated ie he doesn't get projectile squirts and vomiting but I think he still has some issues as he often has soft poops.

I am not sure how he would go with duck but I am thinking that may have a similar result. A sall piece (2cm suare) of skinless, bonless chicken results in raging squirts for at least 24 hours.

Canidae has 5 grain free and 6 limited grain varieties, so it is worth investigating if there is one that will suit.

Pure Sea is 32% protein and 18% fat and contains no poultry in any form.

http://www.canidae.com.au/

Full ingredients list, nutritional breakdown and retailers can all be found here.

Hope that helps.

Sags

:)

Thank you, I will have a look :)

Opps I didn't even look at the protein levels of the Advance food. Yeah Meals for Mutts is quite low.

No worries at all :)

They have all been so much better on the higher protein food I am loath to change them to a lower one again.

This TOTW has 3% less protein than you are ideally looking for but might be worth putting on the list, the pacific stream is around 5% less. I could be wrong here but I believe it is the quality of the proteins rather than the quantity (within reason) that determine how good it is.

I have said elsewhere that I really liked the TOTW pacific stream and also the wetlands - the Wetlands would be no good for you though. I haven't tried the "southwest canyon and think it is pretty new.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/dogs/dry_food/southwest_canyon_canine_formula/

As you are in WA, I had only excellent service and cheap shipping of around $5 from Pookinuk

Edited by Yonjuro

This TOTW has 3% less protein than you are ideally looking for but might be worth putting on the list, the pacific stream is around 5% less. I could be wrong here but I believe it is the quality of the proteins rather than the quantity (within reason) that determine how good it is.

I have said elsewhere that I really liked the TOTW pacific stream and also the wetlands - the Wetlands would be no good for you though. I haven't tried the "southwest canyon and think it is pretty new.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/dogs/dry_food/southwest_canyon_canine_formula/

As you are in WA, I had only excellent service and cheap shipping of around $5 from Pookinuk

Yes I agree, The previous food they were on apparently had good quality protein and has rated highly in pet food reviews but didn't seem to suit any of them at all that well. I know of two other people with 4 other dogs of two different breeds that had the same issues on the same food. That leads me to believe the protein isn't good quality.

Thank you I will look up their website. I am 750kms from Perth so the shipping may be more, but we are used to that! I have contacted Canidae to see where I can purchase wholesale if possible.

Edited by OSoSwift

Interesting that all the active dog formulas I looked at all had chicken. I used to use the Proplan one a bit but that has chicken in it as does the Eagle Pack one.

That is what I have found. He tolerates it and does okay on it and in he looks great and has fantastic muscle, but I think it must still irritate his gut as his poops are firm like the otehr 3, they are a bit hit and miss. If I cannot find anything simialr without Chicken I would keep him on it. There is a Duck and Kangaroo in the Natural balance but I am not willing to go to the effort required to get some and pay freight on it to find the duck goes straight through him like Turkey and Emu.

They did okay on ProPlan Performance but within around two weeks they had crud all over their teeth. Generally their teeth are really good. I had been told others had had a similar issue.

Anyone out there reading this, could we have a quality Kangaroo only dry food please with no other protein etc in it :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Is a DIY diet possible? Single source protein you know they can eat and use oats (minute/rolled soaked) as a the weight maintainer component. If you dont like food sitting around in the fridge oats can be soaked before feeding. VAN make a health booster powder or there's vitamin powders like the Sprinter Gold range if you want to make sure it's a fully balanced diet.

Conversely if you have the freezer space mix up a batch of meat + soaked oats + some veg fiber and freeze it in meal sizes. Add your vitamins when defrosted.

Just thinking it will take the guess work out of life with dog foods that use so many different ingredients. I'm on raw with all of mine (6 dogs) and it's a little bit of effort but it's so much easier to fiddle with what each one needs.