Help Me Pick My Next Breed

It will be a fair while before I get another dog (years...) but I like to think/dream in advance. Any recommendations appreciated.

My main sport is agility. I do it for fun and fergs loves it. It is my main hobby so I'd like my next dog to love it and have the potential to excel at it.

My requirements:

- decent drive and work ethic - if I go to a three day seminar I want a dog that will be happy to work for three days (crate rest of course , but fergs only lasts 1/2 a day and then Is over it). Off switch when not working.

- agile breed as my main sport is agility.

- size wise, I'm not fussed in this, but I wouldn't want a 600 dog. 300, 400 or 500 all okay.

- nerves of steel (after having a fearful dog., this is a must). Doesn't have to love everyone but must be self assured.

- must not have DA breed tendencies.

A couple of breeds I have rules out (no offence intended , but they're just not for me ):

- Aussies (have seen a few working ones that I like though )

- bull breeds

- GSD's

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In agility you can't go past a border collie, sheltie or kelpie if you want to be competitive.

There are individuals of other breeds that do well or are good if you want a steady dog.

Mini poodles are pretty competitive as well.

It's really about what you like. Most well bred dogs can be taught to have an off switch.

I find most gundogs mature slowly and can take years to develop the focus, but many are great once they get going, it just takes patience. Where as a border collie can be competing reliably and winning at2-3 years old with the right handler.

Thanks all. Most of the shelties I've met are waaay to soft gor me - and low drive. I know they're not all like that but I don't know how many true sorts breeders there are in Australia.

With BC's, I used to be totally against them.... I've met a few I really like though, so that door remains open. I'd just have to find the right breeder .

TSD. - I'll put an order in for one of em's pups right now. I don't think I'd be fast enough around the course though . We'd really need to nail the verbals :-)

Edited by megan_

But you are on the right track with H360! Independence, send and disappear :thumbsup: OT but it's changed up my dogs' understanding, speed and fun so much :)

I'd love to see an Em puppy in an agility home! Talk about an off-switch...with all her energy she spent the vast majority of Wed-Sun in bed with me (migraine :( ). Mr TSD took her up the back block for a couple of sprints and she was perfectly content. I really, really hope she passes that trait on as I want a pup too :laugh:

I definitely agree re Border Collies, I think a good BC is a good choice for someone who wants to be more competitive. There is a reason they tend to dominate agility.

If you want something more drivey but not a BC, I actually thought of a field bred ESS when reading your OP, then I saw TSDs post! :)

Yes BCs are the obvious choice, they dominate the sport worldwide.

Kelpies are obviously my choice :) . If I was going to choose a breed other than a Kelpie that was not a 600 dog (600 would prob be Malinois :laugh: ) I would look at Koolies, quite a few of them doing well too (the most highly titled agility dog in NSW and who has won the Jumping Dog of the Year and Agility Dog of the Year and the cumulative pointscores for these events many times in the last several years is a Koolie or Koolie X - amazing dog and handler team!).

Shelties, but you have to get the right one. There are some fabulous Shelties out there, and some spooky ones.

Apart from Em I don't think I have seen other working line Springers in agility, but she is awesome :thumbsup: and would be my pick for a non 600 gundog (600 gundogs vizslas and GSPs are popular)

Mini and Toy Poodles and Papillons do quite well also, if that is your sort of thing :)

Edited by Kavik

People with working bred springers tend to use them for what they were bred for ie hunting and retrieving!

so I guess that is why you do not see too many in dog sports.

Edited by JRG

Agree re shelties - some great ones around, some nervy ones, and yes some downright lazy/switch off ones (training vs temperament? who knows!).... Most of the competitive ones are still "soft" in regard to training however (very responsive, easily corrected) so if that is not what you are into then perhaps not a sheltie :)