Scalibor Tick Collars

dougal

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours were put on them a few weeks before we moved from Canberra so it wasn't a problem (no ticks there). I would be hesitant to use advantix regularly while also using a collar, that is a lot of chemical to put into their system and is advised against. I would go with a permoxin spray before I would be using advantix with a collar.

Permoxins actually from the same class of synthetics as advantix (a permethrin) but without the ability to repel or kill on contact .and with no imidicloprid

The safety margin in advantix is over 60times.

Kiltix is designed and proven safe to be used with advantix and is highly recommended by vets. Permoxin is not.

Advantix is particularly safe.

Edited by nowstarin

If Scalibor collars work in the same fashion as topicals, then swimming would no more reduce the effectiveness of the Scalibor, than it does with Advantix, & we all know that swimming has no effect on the effectiveness of Advantix, except where the swimming or bathing occurs directly either side of applying the Advantix. Shampooing with a degreasing shampoo, I can understand would reduce it's effectiveness, just like it does with Advantix where it is advised to use a soap free shampoo. Seems like it is no use to me though, as I would need to keep Advantix on my dogs for the first few weeks. I might try them at the beginning of next summer.

If Scalibor collars work in the same fashion as topicals, then swimming would no more reduce the effectiveness of the Scalibor, than it does with Advantix, & we all know that swimming has no effect on the effectiveness of Advantix, except where the swimming or bathing occurs directly either side of applying the Advantix. Shampooing with a degreasing shampoo, I can understand would reduce it's effectiveness, just like it does with Advantix where it is advised to use a soap free shampoo. Seems like it is no use to me though, as I would need to keep Advantix on my dogs for the first few weeks. I might try them at the beginning of next summer.

Scalibor settles ONTO the lipid payer not into.

Topicals permeate INTO the lipid layer and offer much higher efficacy

The mode of action is quite different.

Also ticks need to attach to get a dose. (Scalibor)

Scalibor is not suitable to dogs that swim often either and those that are using it and not having an issue have been very very lucky.

Edited by nowstarin

I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this Scalibor& other technical data on the collar. Many times I have read reference to how the active ingredient works & keep coming up with this:-

Under normal conditions, deltamethrin is continuously released by friction between the collar and the hair coat after it is fitted correctly to a dog. Since deltamethrin is highly lipophilic, it gradually spreads over the total body surface of the dog through the lipid layer on the skin surface. Scalibor exerts optimal control of paralysis and brown dog ticks commencing 2-3 weeks after it is applied to a dog that has not been treated previously with Scalibor.

Also:

Water resistant protection

• Can be worn even when swimming

• Wet conditions do not alter deltamethrin release

Degreasing or antiseborrheic shampoos remove lipid film from skin and

temporarily reduce efficacy of topical ectoparasiticides, including the

SCALIBOR Protector Band. Unlike monthly-applied ectoparasiticides,

however, the SCALIBOR Protector Band can start re-delivering the active

ingredient, deltamethrin, as soon as bath time is over

Just be careful. Have seen some very odd reactions to this collar form small dogs. Only the smaller dogs, big dogs none reported to us at work or around our agility club.

Including excessive scratching, redness of skin, sudden aggression, paranoia...

Very odd! So i have steered clear of them for thsi reason. But some say they work very well :)

They are also thinner, which i do like.

We use them on our little dogs (2.5kg and 5kg) and have had no problems. We were initially worried and stuck with advantix for them but after speaking to quite a few vets they all assured us that they were no longer seeing any problems with tick collars on small dogs after the company had made adjustments to them in response to earlier problems. We just use the offcuts from the border collies and cable tie them on :) At ages 15 and 13 they rarely go swimming so no need to remove them often. We kept a close eye on them at first but no issues whatsoever with them.

There's a lot of reviews on amazon, and some of them have reported bad reactions toit. Someone on there suggested taking it out of the packet for 24hrs before putting it on the dog - not sure if it makes a difference, but it's an easy thing to do, so I do it.

We use them on our little dogs (2.5kg and 5kg) and have had no problems. We were initially worried and stuck with advantix for them but after speaking to quite a few vets they all assured us that they were no longer seeing any problems with tick collars on small dogs after the company had made adjustments to them in response to earlier problems. We just use the offcuts from the border collies and cable tie them on :) At ages 15 and 13 they rarely go swimming so no need to remove them often. We kept a close eye on them at first but no issues whatsoever with them.

Ok good to know.

A lady from agility had her 3 dogs recently, 2 of which showed a reaction to it. But she sent them back.

Assuming they were and old batch or something was faulty with them.

I have used all the tick treatments. I live in extreme paralysis area. I have had two dogs at the vets in October within a week of each other for tick paralysis. I must say here - first time in 7 years.

Many years ago - we used Proban.. Someone thought it a good idea to take it off the market. ( have heard a few stories on that one. One that the company making the active ingredient was no longer making it and also a potential class action as long term use side effects). Best product ever for tick prevention.

Frontline = useless

Advantix = useless

Kiltix = stinks. "Green label" product, so you cannot use another green label product (such as Malaban/Maldacin (wash). Have still found ticks on the dogs

Preventic = does not stink (strong peppermint smell) as much as Kiltix, have found ticks on the dogs while the collar has been within specs.

Scalibor = No smell, effective - as above.

My dogs don't swim every day. They do have clams where they can paddle and splash. The vet at Vets Products Direct did say that Scalibor was "the only tick collar that was splash/shower resistant".

Mine are currently wearing scalibor. I have found a tick or two on the dogs. Generally between the back legs or on the front legs. Not healthy looking ones, but still found them.

Best thing is really check your dogs daily for ticks. None of the products will repel the tick from attaching. The best you can hope for is it makes the tick sick before the tick makes your dog sick.

Edited by Mystiqview

I have used all the tick treatments. I live in extreme paralysis area. I have had two dogs at the vets in October within a week of each other for tick paralysis. I must say here - first time in 7 years.

Many years ago - we used Proban.. Someone thought it a good idea to take it off the market. ( have heard a few stories on that one. One that the company making the active ingredient was no longer making it and also a potential class action as long term use side effects). Best product ever for tick prevention.

Frontline = useless

Advantix = useless

Kiltix = stinks. "Green label" product, so you cannot use another green label product (such as Malaban/Maldacin (wash). Have still found ticks on the dogs

Preventic = does not stink (strong peppermint smell) as much as Kiltix, have found ticks on the dogs while the collar has been within specs.

Scalibor = No smell, effective - as above.

My dogs don't swim every day. They do have clams where they can paddle and splash. The vet at Vets Products Direct did say that Scalibor was "the only tick collar that was splash/shower resistant".

Mine are currently wearing scalibor. I have found a tick or two on the dogs. Generally between the back legs or on the front legs. Not healthy looking ones, but still found them.

Best thing is really check your dogs daily for ticks. None of the products will repel the tick from attaching. The best you can hope for is it makes the tick sick before the tick makes your dog sick.

Not even Advantix stops the ticks attaching...even though the product says differently :(

Sheena.

Haha - yeah I know. The only way to stop the bligters from attaching is putting the dog in a bubble. I don't use either Frontline or Advantix. Frontline is a waste of money and you mose well just flush it down the toilet.

My guys have had a reaction to Advantix. They will get a sore under where you apply it. Even though you separate the hair and apply it to the skin, border collies having the double coat, the undercoat still asorbes a certain amount of it. Being an oily product, it then sits just above the skin and creates a barrier for moisture to get under. As this doesn't dry - it causes a sore. Best way to decribe what has happened... I rang Bayer and they told me my dog had hot spots. I know what a hot spot is, and how to treat it. These were definitely not hot spots.

I don't mind the preventic collar - I can live with the peppermint smell. Thought I would give the scalibor collars a go. Pretty happy with them so far. While I have found a tick or two, I cannot say that the collar is the only thing preventing my dogs from getting sick. I know people who have found ticks on the neck under a (new) Preventic collar on their dogs. The only thing with the Scalibor collar I don't like is because you cannot smell anything, you don't know if the collar is dead earlier than it should be. At least with the smelly ones - when you cannot smell them, you definitely know they are dead.

Mine also get bathed every 2 weeks in Fidos flea/tick shampoo. Which I find does well for keeping fleas at bay.

My guys have no trouble with the Advantix as far as hot spots go. Probably because I distribute it right down their back from behind the ears to the base of the tail, making sure it is in contact with the skin. So it is not all going on the one spot. From what I have read, & it makes sense, that if you are going to shampoo your dog then use a soap free shampoo. Both the Fido ones I have are soap free, but only my girl ever gets a shampoo (little tart). My boy had his last shampoo three years ago, so I imagine he has a good build up of oil on his skin which helps with the Advantix, even though he is swimming almost every day.

The times where my guys have reacted to Advantix was when I distributed it on their rumps. I also distribute it in a number of spots down the back.

They were not "hot spots" - the Bayer rep on the phone tried to say it was not their product causing the sores but rather my dog had unrelated hot spots. hmm.... under the same spot where I applied their product???