Unregistered Pups From Registered Parents

Staffyluv

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but I can't find it.

Selling unregistered pups from registered parents - the breeder has noted their Dogs NSW number but said the pups are not registered.

I thought they had to register all litters??

Or am I wrong (again)?

In Victoria all pups are to be registered and I believe that is now the case in all States but stand to be corrected on that.

However, again in Victoria, although the litter should be registered before they are 3 months old, an additional cost is incurred if not, but registration can be done anytime up to 18 months after which time registration will be refused.

Not sure why anyone genuine would want to wait that long, but I do have my suspicions.

In the case you are referring to is it a case of the breeder intending to register the pups but has not yet done so or are they intending to not register them at all?

Edited by Airedaler

Breeders can do what they like (certainly not against the law) provided they do not mind being in breach of their state canine council Code Of Ethics and risking the penalties.

If Dogs NSW get hold of this and this person is in fact a current financial member, then this person may be fined, suspended or slapped over the wrist.

Don't forget you can be a member of your state CCC without being a registered breeder, so it could just be their personal number and not have any breeding prefix attached to it. I'm sure there would be some people out there who would do such things to appear more reputable. I'm sure lots of us know people who are a member of the CCC and have pedigree dogs but they aren't registered with the CCC as a breeder (not saying they would be doing this but this could be a technicality as to having the number, not registering the litter etc).

Don't forget you can be a member of your state CCC without being a registered breeder, so it could just be their personal number and not have any breeding prefix attached to it. I'm sure there would be some people out there who would do such things to appear more reputable. I'm sure lots of us know people who are a member of the CCC and have pedigree dogs but they aren't registered with the CCC as a breeder (not saying they would be doing this but this could be a technicality as to having the number, not registering the litter etc).

But as just a member of your CCC (without having a registered prefix) you are still not permitted to breed your dog. So it would still be in breach.

Edited by Starkehre

Our girl came from a registered breeder. She was their first and also oops litter. Both parents are papered.

The breeders came really really close to not registering the litter. They got a boot from their breeder so the litter got registered.

My girl was 16 months when we got her paper.

ANKC state clubs should treat this seriously... no one should be using their membership number (as a breeder or not a breeder) in any form of advertising unless they follow the code of ethics of the association....

The state clubs or the ANKC should be asking for a "please explain" as a bare minimum and also if happening on different occassions, they should be suspending membership....as well as name and shame....

What is the point in having the breed association if they don't enforce the guidelines.

Dob the person in - as members we should all be pushing the state clubs to take action against "backyard breeders" - and having pups from registered parents and NOT registering the pups definately is a 'backyarder'.

Dob the person in - as members we should all be pushing the state clubs to take action against "backyard breeders" - and having pups from registered parents and NOT registering the pups definately is a 'backyarder'.

Had their breeder not given them an almighty kick, things would be very different. And the worst part is that I would have just left it and gone oh well, lesson learned.

But we still joke that she comes from a backyard breeder really.

1416554339[/url]' post='6597861']

ANKC state clubs should treat this seriously... no one should be using their membership number (as a breeder or not a breeder) in any form of advertising unless they follow the code of ethics of the association....

The state clubs or the ANKC should be asking for a "please explain" as a bare minimum and also if happening on different occassions, they should be suspending membership....as well as name and shame....

What is the point in having the breed association if they don't enforce the guidelines.

Agree - you can't comply with the rules you like on one hand and not on the other. If they are quoting a legitimate membership number then as a member they must register the litter. Even an oops can be registered though they may be slapped over the wrist if not a good reason for the accident. If they are complying with the use of the membership number in ads they should also be in compliance with the requirement to register.

If they are not legitimately using a dogs Nsw number (and using a number to try and 'legitimise' themselves, then dogs Nsw need to know that too as that is fraud.

Report if. Then dogs Nsw can determine if any breaches of the regulations and or code of ethics have been made or if other action is required to protect their good name.

• 1 month later...
1416557220[/url]' post='6597890']
1416554339[/url]' post='6597861']

Had their breeder not given them an almighty kick, things would be very different. And the worst part is that I would have just left it and gone oh well, lesson learned.

I have just been reading this post after a search on this forum. We bought what we thought was a pedigree dog who was registered. Shame on us really. We thought seeing as the dog was already 8 months old, not desexed and had an overshot jaw the price we paid reflected these things. (we paid $1300 12 months ago)" . We sourced this dog through a registered breeder who is also registered on this site. Going through her papers recently I realised that what we thought were registered pedigree papers was in fact a hand made pedigree with the name of the registered breeder on top of this. To say we are disappointed goes without saying. We really thought that people registered would be ethical if they are breeders. How naive of us.

I have just been reading this post after a search on this forum. We bought what we thought was a pedigree dog who was registered. Shame on us really. We thought seeing as the dog was already 8 months old, not desexed and had an overshot jaw the price we paid reflected these things. (we paid $1300 12 months ago)" . We sourced this dog through a registered breeder who is also registered on this site. Going through her papers recently I realised that what we thought were registered pedigree papers was in fact a hand made pedigree with the name of the registered breeder on top of this. To say we are disappointed goes without saying. We really thought that people registered would be ethical if they are breeders. How naive of us.

Go back tothe breeder and ask for the registered pedigree .Some register the pups and for numerous reasons keep the papers and only give a copy. They may be waiting for proof of desexing etc to give it to you.

You cant assume that it isnt registered and if it isnt then its breach in most states. The state's CC will be able to tell you if the dog is actually registered. If its NSW any member can look it up for you too.

Agree - you can't comply with the rules you like on one hand and not on the other. If they are quoting a legitimate membership number then as a member they must register the litter. Even an oops can be registered though they may be slapped over the wrist if not a good reason for the accident. If they are complying with the use of the membership number in ads they should also be in compliance with the requirement to register.

If they are not legitimately using a dogs Nsw number (and using a number to try and 'legitimise' themselves, then dogs Nsw need to know that too as that is fraud.

Report if. Then dogs Nsw can determine if any breaches of the regulations and or code of ethics have been made or if other action is required to protect their good name.

Agreed - there may be a legitimate reason why these pups wont be registered and the CC rules now state that its a breach if you dont use your number but either way it is something that needs to be reported and looked at .It impacts badly on all registered breeders and the CCs .